2010 Revolution Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ... injured players galore. Young player who might barely remember what a real competitive match is. Expansion draft. Players free to leave due to free agency.

And lots of questions about this team's roster for next season. The expansion draft is probably less than a month away. The MLS Super Draft is probably about 2 months away.

This mock draft has us taking (SURPRISE!) a Wake Forest player with our first round pick, Corben Bone (heh).

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the last Expansion draft Rules:
    2008 MLS Expansion Draft Rules
    Senior Roster
    • Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.
    • If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster.
    • If a team protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player's option. The team may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.
    • If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his team will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.

Developmental Roster
    • Players on a team's Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season, will be part of the expansion draft.
    • Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season are automatically protected (teams do not have to protect them).
    • If Seattle Sounders FC select a Developmental Player they must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on Seattle's Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.

International Players
    • Teams are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available per the table set forth below.
    • For purposes of this expansion process, for U.S.-based teams, any non-domestic U.S. player would count as an International and for Toronto FC, any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International.

Designated Players
    • Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected.

Maximum Player Loss
    • Once a player has been claimed from a team's non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.

Right to Renegotiate
    • Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.

Priority
    • On the first day of the Discovery/Allocation Period, Seattle will have priority over players who played professionally in the USL First or Second Division in 2008, subject to another MLS team's right of first refusal.

Rounds
    • The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.

INTERNATIONAL PLAYER PROTECTION REQUIREMENT TABLE:
    Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some more info on college players thanks to the WVHooligan blog.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

4. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2010 MLS SuperDraft is Thursday, January 14th beginning at 1:00pm in Philly at the Convention Center.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, quickly tried to find it and couldn't.

6. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NSCAA site was helpful for that.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Road trip???

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they'd actually do this on a friggin' weekend.

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This mockery of a Mock Draft doesn't include Philly :eek:

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weekend shmeekend, take the thursday and friday off. We zip down, get a pretzel, head to the draft, leave to go to Celebrese's for an awesome pizza.....stroll across the parking lock to Chickie and Petes sports bar then to Pat and Gino's for a cheese steak comparison!

11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you mocking the mockery of a mock?:cool:

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because they're trading all their picks to us for Wells Thompson.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    mock mock mock mock mock.....a beer to anyone who remembers that episode

14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralph and Richie picking up chicks as North African camel jockeys.:cool:

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, Ralph, Potsy and Richie rented the front porch of a cabin and posed as Tunisian camel jockeys! and Ralph's grand mother taught him to count to 5 in cherokee. Mock lock cloom locket quintim......something like that......I owe u 1 beer

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a terrible Mock Draft. It has all the players listed incorrectly (everyone's is a class behind reality; for example Andre Akpan is a senior, but is listed as a junior). It also lists Cody Arnoux and Joseph-Claude Gyau, who have signed with Everton and Hoffenheim respectively.

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Wid or wid out? :)

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wid, naturally

19. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like either Akpan, Bone, or Steffen Vroom.

20. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Here's a perfect summary of one facet of the Revs' roster problems.

Too many old guys, too many young guys. Very few players in their prime.

Buzz over at 3rd Degree is talking with Hyndman about FCD's problems, but it may as well be the Revs he's talking about. At least Hyndman gets it. Do the Revs?

I was discussing the age of MLS teams with coach Hyndman and he mentioned something to me that I found interesting. The discussion started when talking about the Climbing the Ladder MLS team age post that says the 2007 FC Dallas team was the second youngest in league history.

Hyndman was talking about how FCD and Houston this year are close (27.10 to 28.13 according to CTL), but that the similar age was misleading. It can be said that most players hit their prime from 27 to 29. Hyndman mentioned that Houston has several players in that age bracket. FCD has none. Houston has only one Ga player and a couple developmental ones. Dallas has six Gas.

That means in essence FCD has a bunch of young guys and a bunch of old guys. Houston, while they have some old’ish guys, has very few really young players. Houston has far more in their prime and Dallas skews to the extremes on both ends.

It’s an interesting observation and Hyndman seems clearly focused on addressing it. That leads me to think there may be more changes this winter than I had maybe anticipated. Less kids under 20s and less old guys in their mid 30s.

I was already anticipating a handful or changes, now I expect even more.

I’m glad to hear Hyndman isn’t planning on standing pat.

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/11/13/practice-observations-closing-time/

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    In MLS, those young guys can become players in their prime pretty quickly, IF they're getting playing time.

With very impressive rookie seasons behind them, I think Alston and Barnes will be considered veterans next spring (even though they should still be on the development curve). A bunch of others got significant playing time this year if it hadn't been for some of the injuries, so they are that much further ahead because of it.

The main thing that needs to be done here is to replace the 3 mid-career players that we got little->nothing from with mid-career contributors and then we'd have a great mix of youth, prime and ... um, experience.

22. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I hope some of the U-17s skip straight into the draft, I'm actually in the know on some of the college prospects, and paired with the U-17s, this seems like it could be a strong draft in the first few rounds.

I would LOVE McInerny as a prospect up top, with a little bulking up and some minutes here and there, maybe even a loan out in his first season, I think he could give us 10-15 goals in a year or two.

23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I was really disappointed with his play at the U-17 WC, his finishing looked poor at best.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know. I nominate you to make our draft/personnell choices this year because we collectively don't trust the guys in charge currently. :D
    (if only it was that easy)

25. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is not designed to develop players that young. Having a 16 year old rot on a bench is no way to develop.

McInerny is a good looking player, but YEARS away from being a professional. There really isn't anyone from that U-17 squad that is ready to become a professional in the next few years. They need to either stay in Bradenton, go to college (ughhh) or go to Europe. As I said, rotting on a bench in MLS would destroy their development.