2010 NASL Playoffs Thread (R)

Discussion in 'NASL' started by ranul, Sep 17, 2010.

1. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. stevebeau

stevebeau Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A winning team? You are kidding right? Your team just made the final for the 1st time and your acting like your rooting for some kind of dynasty or something. Your team probably won't even exist in 3 yrs..

3 league titles, a Canadian Championship (against MLS opposition) and a
    CCL quarter-final in 2008.

ya your right,what a team of losers!! :rolleyes:

3. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Don't bother, they're too busy posting outdated 4chan content.

3 league cups,
    7 voyageurs cups
    7 league titles

[​IMG]

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Championship finals or not, pretty soon Montreal will be part of MLS

5. Moki

Moki Member

Jul 16, 2004
    USA
    I don't understand the bitterness from Montreal fans and players. And, I don't know from watching video whether the goals were off side or not. The officiating in the world of sport is not perfect and many times arguable. That's the human factor in an activity that is practiced mostly by humans, excepting horse and dog racing or course. But the game is over and somebody won and somebody lost. Does bickering about the outcome change it? Past accomplishments for Montreal, as impressive as they are are still in the past. This is 2010. And if Carolina wins it all this year, it will be forgotten next year with a new season as well as a new league. Time moves on. People should too.

6. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the videos myself.

Here's my take on it:

Carolina's goal on Wednesday is beyond my ability to tell. It's really close, one way or the other. I thought it looked good when I saw it live, and even when I saw the replay, but I freely admit that's influenced by my bias; the refs know what they're doing better than I do and judge these things better than I ever can. I'm gonna trust the pros to be better than I am at calling this sort of thing.

Heinemann's goal (Carolina's second) on Saturday, the video doesn't show us what we need to see. Neither he nor the second defender is in the frame. He's way off by the time the ball reaches him, but it's a long enough pass that this tells us almost nothing about where he was when it was played, and that's the only time that matters. Quite simply, if you were not there in the stadium, you don't have any basis on which to form an opinion of that goal; if you were, your memory is going to be distorted by your bias on the matter. Was it a valid goal? We will never know for sure, but the neutral watching specifically for that violation didn't see any reason to think otherwise.

Montreal's stoppage-time goal on Saturday is really damn close. I think the call was correct, but again, I can't tell for certain. People with a keener eye for these things than me can argue one way or the other; again, though, there's one person whose job it is to get these right, watching that exact play, who didn't have to contend with the poor resolution of an internet video, and he thought it was offsides. Could be he was wrong, since it wasn't off by very much, but on the tape, I just can't tell and when that happens I'm always in favor of giving the officials the benefit of the doubt - especially as they're supposed to be in position to get the best possible angle on judging it.

Correct score for the series? More likely CAR 2-1 MON, exactly as called, than anything else, but impossible to tell.

7. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Someone please tell me the final will be televised or streamed...

8. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 league 3 cups

9. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it will. All the D2 teams are streaming games except for Baltimore, which was supposed to.

Both legs should be viewable from http://carolinarailhawks.com/railhawks-live and probably also from the Puerto Rico Islanders' site.

10. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come in here talking junk and get beaten by a team that "won't even be around in three years" and now you can't take the heat... bunch of sore losers. But but but but we won the league before... it's the "2010 Playoffs Thread," not the "History of D2 soccer" thread

I would say Canada sucks but I have no problems with Vancouver/TFC. Guess it's just Montreal that sucks.

11. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    [FrankLucas] My Man! [/FrankLucas]

Appreciate the info brother. Really hope the Islanders win this!

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    0-0 at halftime in Tegucigalpa.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    3-0 Olimpia, and the Islanders CCL campaign is over.

14. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well Clarke cost us another CCL run, better not cost us another ********ing final cause I will burn him alive! I can't stand another season with that thing, his just a sorry excuse for human garbage, in front of my club!

15. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    BTW, in case you're wondering, here's the sked for the final:

Sun., Oct. 24 Puerto Rico vs. Carolina, 6:05 PM EDT
    Sat., Oct. 30 Carolina vs. Puerto Rico, 7:00 PM EDT

16. MAXS

MAXS New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cost you the playoffs? WTF do you speak of? Clarke is the reason you are in the CCL!

He has turned this team around in the time that he has been here, put Puerto Rico on the soccer map. Not only with the Islanders, but the national team as well...

It is amazing to see just how unloyal some people are when teams do not win all the time. Everyhting is great when results go the right way, but so quick to damn when they don't... Do you know how many games they have played in a short amount of time? do you have any idea of the travel schedule they have? ? From your comments I guess not...so ungrateful for what that staff has done...

Go get a clue.

17. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing. As an outsider, it seems to me that he's done a great job there. Weird thing to say based on their recent successes and the fact they're currently in the league final.

18. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    His inconsistent in playing style, his roster decision sometimes are unbelievable stupid he becomes infatuated with players that don't perform (Keon, Mediate, Fraser). If your such a islanders fan you would know this is our second worst regular season record ever. Clarke may have had a a good two year run, playing an ugly unappealing game, but his basically fallen apart this year and a good run in the playoff is masking that, his doing the same shit he did in Dallas, making deep runs but not winning shit, wail playing extremely defensive and alienating the fan base. He better win this final and he better get the ******** away from my team afterwards.

Maxs you clearly haven't been a fan for long have you? If you where you would know most fans hate him since 2008 people have been complaining about his coaching including me. But since the FO has a ********ing hard on for him and would rather see the franchise die that let him go. Honestly the way things are going the Islanders will not last another year with Clarke at the helm, people are just ********ing tired of seeing him do all the retarded shit he does every other game and playing a style that is completely in contrast to the style us latinos like.

This last game was just an example of one of does games where he swore he would come in guns a blazing but really he just sat back and left Olimpia to do whatever they wanted. He told that this was as importen of a game as the finals and he puts the entire bench out there ******** you you fat ********! Four years of Longballs to nowhere really makes a guy bitter!

Jeaustin Campos DT for 2011!!!!!

19. MAXS

MAXS New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Intru, I am not new to soccer, and have been an Islander fan for several seasons now....

The playing style is not inconsistent, it is based on a number of things including the players available and their physical state of being-did you stop to consider the number of games they have played in the past thirty days-and the travel schedule including the two red eye flights just to play in Hondoraus? this team is exhausted, and have to rest up for the FINALS....

Please don't say most fans hate him-you and eight of your friends does not consitute the majority. The reason the front office loves Clarke is because he has put them on the map, and they know that....not to mention how the players feel...

So this year they have not had a great record-would you rather have the Rhinos record-and be sitting out the rest of the season.? What do you want-the best record in the regular season or a chance of winning it all by being in the final?

Please do not refer to his tenure at dallas. you did not know of him or his style before he came here. He took one of the worst teams in MLS hisotry and took them to the playoffs four years running, with one of those years claiming the western conference... he was the MLS all star coach in 2005 and beat Fulham 4-1. He did not accomplish all that with an inconsistent style of play...no, he has not won a championship YET, but he certainly puts his teams in contention....

maybe you and your LATINO friends should consider that...and be happy you have a team to root for in the FINALS.

and not to worry, I am sure that he won't be around for too long, because folks with any soccer knowledge know of his accomplishments and will be ready to offer him a contract...

Cheers.

20. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Yo don't find it odd that since he came here we have had dramatical drops in attendance, even with the good results? 2007: 4725, 2008: 4,423, 2009: 3,293, 2010: 2358.

Our attendance has gone down over 50% in the 4 years we have had our best results on paper, but when you look at it from a game to game perspective Clarke is a purely result coach and doesn't seem to care how his game day strategy looks to everyone in the stands. I have never seen him devise a plan to win, his plans are usually base on passing with the little amount of points possible which actually makes it much harder to play for the players. This is his problem you play ugly results football your going to lose all your fans especially in a country where football is just now growing and people don't understand the concept of just scraping by with a tie or losing by a smaller margin than the goal avg to qualify for something, you should know that we are not a race that likes to loose or support loosing teams.

It was late 2008 when people started noticing Clarke inconsistence in style, his random game day squad decision, etc. People are not going to show up when the one game we play like we should and then we have 4 games of longballs to nowhere and total defending football. I understand his not capable of playing the latin game style cause he was developed in england as a player and coach, but that dosn't mean you cant play good attacking football in fact it's his ability to show us that he knows how to do this in a couple of odd games is what bothers me the most! The only way Clarke should stay in the team is as manager cause his eye for good cheap talent is amazing, we wouldn't have gone as far if we din't have such dedicated players like Steele and Arrieta, Adlerry, Fana, Krause, Martinez, Noel and Foley.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  22. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    LOL like Alexis is going to play more than 1 min in that game! At least now Clarke actually plays him in his natural position of mid instead of def like he had been for 4 years.

23. MAXS

MAXS New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You cannot blame Clarke for attendance....take a look at the economic status of this island... I am done talking about it.

we can just agree to disagree...and maybe have a drink to celebrate the 2010 Champions.

24. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm. I should make certain to lay in some Puerto Rican rum.

25. stevebeau

stevebeau Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes, that's it! Montreal sucks!?? :rolleyes:

Because Fayetteville (whatever that is??) is such a high prized destination known around the world..