2010/11 NHL Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by KensingtonSC, Oct 7, 2010.

1. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I figured since we have team oriented threads, but we didn't have a general thread for the good ol' NHL, I would crack one open. If there's already one open somewhere, this can merged or deleted.

Hockey season starts tonight (well, today since 1 game was already played), and it's shaping up to be another outstanding season.

My early season predictions...

Division Winners - Eastern Conference - Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Washington
    Division Winners - Western Conference - Detroit, Vancouver, Phoenix

Stanley Cup Finals - Detroit vs Philadelphia

Biggest Surprises - St. Louis and Tampa Bay make the playoffs, Leafs don't finish dead last in the Northeast Division, Phoenix wins in the first round of the playoffs for the first time before announcing their move to Winnipeg
    Biggest Disappointments - San Jose finishes 3rd in the Pacific and grabs the 8th seed on the last day of the season, Montreal finishes out of the playoffs, Boston's pre-season hype falls flat and team grabs one of the last few seeds, Ottawa finishes dead last in the Northeast below a surging Toronto

Any predictions from anyone else?

1 person likes this.
  2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wont bother with a Bruins thread, just hoping certain young guys take their games to the next level this season(Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler, Rask) to name a few. The offense can't be worse than last season, so hopefully we'll be a solid contender, and let Savard sit out until he is 100% this time(if he gets there).

Seguin made the opening day team, excited to see him develop. Like that this team can win now and is setup well for the future.

3. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Good thread idea.

Predictions:

Division winners: Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh is the east. Vancouver, Chicago, LA in the west.

Rounding out the playoff teams: Philly, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, New Jersey and a hopeful Toronto (realistically, it will likely come down to a final day situation for Montreal, Ottawa, NYR, Carolina and Toronto fighting for 8th) in the east. Detroit, St. Louis, Colorado, San Jose and Edmonton (with Nashville, Minnesota, Phoenix, Anaheim and Edmonton fighting for 8th) in the west.

Conference finals: LA/Chicago in the west, Boston/Washington in the east
    Stanley Cup: LA over Washington.

I think both Boston and LA will be the surprise top teams this season... I think Burke has done enough to get Toronto into the playoffs, whether Wilson drags them over the line into the post-season or not remains to be seen... I see Edmonton rebounding really well after last season's debacle, no way they have so many injuries to key players again... Tampa will be a pleasant improvement this year... No way Phoenix repeats their last season's form... Chicago has kept the right pieces and added a hungry money goalie in Turco they will be lights out again (probably eliminating Vancover in the playoffs again!)

I figure the debacles this season may be in: Florida -- not enough quality NHL talent, too many 3-4 liners means lousy goal totals... NY Islanders -- too many injuries to a team already thin on defense, even with Tavares making big improvements still won't make up for it... Calgary -- dysfunctional organization and poor team chemistry - Jokinen deal front and centre here - with some timely injuries causes havoc mid season, team doesn't recover... Dallas -- Hicks money woes continue to affect the on ice product...

4. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Flyers looked good last night. I watched the first period and streamed the last two while watching the Union. The Giroux goal was out of sight! Goal of the Week nominee right there.

crazypete, some of your predictions seem right, especially about teams at the bottom, but I'm not that high on Toronto just yet. They could come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, and Giguere could be a dominating force again, but they play in such a brutal division that I don't know how they survive being in the top 3 of it.

I think Tampa was a nice improvement last year, but this year they should finish either 2nd in the Southeast or fight with Carolina for it and still make the playoffs.

Maybe it's just the optimist in me that believes that the Coyotes will make a run again, but I think they've got the pieces in place to take that division. I think LA is one year away, and I think San Jose drops way off from last year. Not so much because of the loss of Nabokov, but because they're getting older and I just don't see it from them. I just don't think they can dominate like they have been.

I think Chicago falls this year because of Turco, all of the players they had to trade away, and the fact that Detroit is still the class of the division and they just had an off year last year. Edmonton is close, but not a playoff team this year. Maybe next year they'll get in, but not this year.

5. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I'm thinking these eight will get into the playoff's.

No particular order,

East -
    Philadelphia, NJ, Washington, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Montreal, Toronto

West -
    Vancouver, Los Angeles, San Jose, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Edmonton, Nashville

Lord Stanley - Edmonton - New Jersey

That's a perfect world prediction where everyone stays healthy and the rosters remain intact for the majority of the season. I really want to put the Panthers in the top 8 but my homer pick of the Oilers in the Cup is enough of a gamble for me :)

6. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Ondrej Pavelec went unconscious during the Caps/Thrashers game. They said he regained consciousness while at the hospital. He didn't get hit with a shot or stick or anything. He just collapsed. Scary, scary stuff.

Get well, Onj...

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still don't know what happened to him, but he suffered a concussion from the fall.

As for my predictions.

Philly
    Pittsburgh
    New Jersey
    NY Rangers
    Islanders

Boston
    Montreal
    Toronto
    Buffalo
    Ottawa

Washington
    Tampa
    Atlanta
    Carolina
    Florida

The south east will be better this year, maybe one team sneaks in with Washington and will make the playoffs.

New Jersey will be just as bad in the playoffs as the last few years with Kovalchuk.

Philadelphia is the team to beat regardless of who plays goal.

Toronto will actually fight for a playoff spot, but their lack of quality forwards will see them fall just short.

American Hero and Luc Leblond fighter John Carlson will win the calder

Ryan Miller will single handily guide the Buffalo Sabres to a not last place finish.

The real contenders from the east are

Philly
    Washington
    Pittsburgh

One of those three will go to the finals

Detroit
    Chicago
    Nashville
    St. Louis
    Columbus

Vancouver
    Colorado
    Edmonton
    Minnesota
    Calgary

San Jose
    LA
    Phoenix
    Dallas
    Anaheim

Anaheim, Dallas, Calgary, the Islanders, Ottawa and Florida will fight for the worst record in the league.

San Jose will not get it done in the playoffs.

Edmonton will fight for a playoff berth.

Chicago will struggle mightily.

The Red Wings will look great, until half their team gets hurt again. When you spin the wheel of injuries, if they all recover right before the playoffs, Detroit goes to the finals.

St. Louis will finally realize that other than Erik Johnson, their kids suck.

Nashville will somehow get to the playoffs again, despite you and the Nashville fans not knowing anybody on their team.

Vancouver will dominate the regular season, but Luongo will fall flat on his face in the playoffs. Yes he won the gold medal in a pressure situation in Canada. Newflash, Team Canada had some guys named Doughty, Weber, Niedermeyer, Pronger, Boyle.

Minnesota fans will continue to wonder who is better, the Gophers or the Wild.

Cam Fowler will be one of the leaders in ice time for the Ducks and years later we'll all look back at the draft and go, "he was taken there!?"

Phoenix will have an amazing blueline, Gromley, Yandle, Ekman-Larsson. Lets hope they enjoy Winnipeg.

The conference final will come down to Vancouver vs Detroit. Detroit wins it after Luongo slips, falls and fills the tear ducts of every BC resident for the next two decades of his contract.

Detroit plays Philadelphia in the finals, and despite being healthy, Detroit takes it to Game 7, where Matt Carle scores the game winning goal in the 2nd period 3-2.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bet the house on it. The New York Islanders WILL make the playoffs.

9. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    If anyone's interested in an NHL Pick 'Em game, I'll run it. What I'd like to do is pick 10 games from the full week of action (Monday-Sunday), and you pick winner and score. I'll keep the score throughout the season.

5 points for correct score and winner (You pick Pittsburgh 3-1, PIT wins 3-1)
    3 points for correct winner and exact goal differential (You pick PIT 3-1, PIT wins 5-3)
    1 point for correct winner but score is incorrect (You pick PIT 3-1, PIT wins 1-0)

If anyone's interested, I'll start a new thread for it, and we can begin either this week, or next week. Let me know.

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yeah, fair points - but I'm liking the start so far. Obviously I'm a leaf fan, and I have high hopes for them.

Not that I think this will actually happen, but it is technically possible for every team in a division to make the playoffs.
    A) I'm not rooting against them (unless they are playing the leafs of course), I'm hoping Tavares is the next incarnation of Trottier - I'm just not sure he's got enough horses with him to get the scoring they'll need.

B) Defense is their weak spot - and I'm not sure they have enough firepower to overcome that. It may come down to injuries (the lack thereof) and if good goaltending can cover for that.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Toronto is better than Buffalo and Ottawa.

12. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Miller needs to have a great year again for Buffalo to go anywhere - I think he can do it too but I'm not sure about the rest of their cast. If Myers has a sophomore slump (like many good rookies have done) they may struggle defensively, and I've never really been worried about their forwards.

Ottawa needs to gel and play together better, they definitely didn't do that last night. Gonchar helps on the PP and a healthy Leclaire (though he's made of glass) will give them stability in goal and Elliot can step in as he showed last season.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffalo is Ryan Miller, as he plays, they play. They might sneak in to a low seed, but that will be as far as it goes.

Ottawa is just bad. I can't see them going anywhere. The league now is about having a core of elite players. Ottawa is paying Spezza $7 million when he is really a $5 million type player. They're also counting on Kovalev and Leclaire. Sorry, but they are a recipe for disaster.

The Leafs meanwhile might not have very many serviceable forwards, from my count they have like four, they have a bunch of guys who are hungry to prove themselves worthy of the NHL. Which often times is better than a comfortable veteran, who thinks he can cruise a bit. Add in a very good blueline and decent goaltending, they could make the playoffs. I think think though, that their lack of forwards is going to catch them eventually.

14. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Truth...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VI97bPWHUE"]The Season Ticket Drive[/ame]

15. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ^ Saw that the other day...very funny. Love the ending with Kabby calling his dad lol.

Anyone see this by Wisniewski...i don't mind him saying it verbally as that type of language is common on the ice, but visually, that's not acceptable for the minors that are watching. *Hope its ok to post this link due to the nature of the incident*

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYeKEA5AoY"]YouTube - James Wisniewski Taunts Sean Avery Oct 11, 2010[/ame]

16. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Oh, come on! That was hilarious! I can't believe he got two games for it.

I hope this leads to a new NHL where visual interpretations of sexual maneuvers are encouraged, and Crosby is shown the right way to perform a reach-around.

17. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It was incredible funny...but, the NHL definitely needed to suspend him. Can't do that on national tv...something like that should be done on the way to the locker room. The best part was Avery's reaction...looking for a ref for a reaction...like he's a saint.

18. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I can kind of see a point, but, at the same time, if a kid is watching it and he knows what it means, he'll think it's funny. If a kid doesn't know what it means, it's an afterthought to him.

By the way, hockey players offer some of the best and filthiest trash talk. When I first started out working in hockey, I was a hockey PA announcer, and I worked between the benches. Some of the stuff that would fly out of their mouths was pure gold. You may have seen this one before, but this is one of my favorite trash talk videos...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAHxS1GGyk"]Penguins Trash Talk[/ame]

19. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Apparently miming a **************, i.e. calling him a <<person who performs fellatio (to describe a word the auto censor doesn't like)>> is as bad as a hit from behind.

Seems awfully hypocritical to me.

20. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    You're pissed about Maxim Lapierre's hit on Steve Downie, aren't you? Well, Downie did have it coming...

Also, mimicking blowjobs > hits to the head

21. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good old Gary and Colin once again taking the entertainment out of hockey. When can we be rid of these two boobs?

Cherry for commissioner, MacLean for chief goon

22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I was referring to the Pominville hit - but anyway.

The perception of this is awful either way, the NHL basically saying that player conduct infractions are treated the same as dangerous play infractions. Player safety is way more important than player conduct in my books.

23. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Always remember the following...

************** insinuations, "sloppy seconds" jokes = Horrible, Suspendable offenses
    Potentially career threatening head shots = Part of the game, maybe get fined

The NHL: Mass stupidity at its finest.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly the first thing that came to my mind after the ruling. Smashing people's brains and removing star players from the game is just as bad as making obscene gestures, which only mimic what is said on the ice every game. The Sean Avery suspension was just as ridiculously stupid.

25. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder who the first coach to get the sack will be. My money may be on Randy Carlyle of Anaheim. Although he's one of the longest tenured coaches in the business, I don't see Anaheim making any improvements from last season with their blueline, though last night's comeback against Vancouver will help.