2010-11 Final Attendance Analysis

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by ArsenalMetro, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Historical Totals

Code:
    Year      Average Median  <5k     >10k
    2008-09   7,117   6,303   44.7%   23.7%
    2009-10   6,806   5,461   46.2%   16.7%
    2010-11   8,446   5,525   43.6%   35.9%

Overall attendance: 658,779

AAQ:
    Average: 1 out of 3
    Median: 2 out of 3
    <5k%: 1 out of 3
    >10k%: 1 out of 3

AAQ: 1.25

Finals attendances:

Monterrey - 30,247
    Salt Lake - 20,378

Attendance averages by country:

Canada - 14,180
    Mexico - 12,578
    United States - 12,492
    Costa Rica - 6,866
    Guatemala - 6,114
    Honduras - 6,027
    (Puerto Rico - 5,449)
    CFU - 2,667
    El Salvador - 2,657
    Panama - 1,188
    (Trinidad and Tobago - 440)

Attendance averages by club:

Monterrey - 19,347
    Salt Lake - 15,854
    Seattle - 15,794
    Toronto FC - 14,180
    Santos - 10,060
    Olimpia - 9,851
    Cruz Azul - 9,555
    Saprissa - 8,189
    Motagua - 8,000
    Xelaju - 8,000
    Toluca - 6,962
    LA Galaxy - 6,873
    Columbus - 5,552
    Municipal - 5,486
    FAS - 3,050
    Marathon - 1,710
    Arabe Unido - 1,325
    Tauro - 1,237
    Isidro Metapan - 1,083
    San Francisco - 725
    Joe Public - 503
    Brujas - 253
    San Juan Jabloteh - 192

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully CFU teams (outside PRI) get their shit straight so next year we can break 10K

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks for all the work. Not sure if an improvement is possible in the next edition, don't think Colorado and Dallas will draw much more than Columbus. Monterrey and Santos should draw decent crowds in Mexico but let's see who the other two will be. Perhaps a better tournament by Seattle and Beckham away will draw some additional fans.

As comparison, the AFC Champions League draws about 12K on average.

4. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yes--thanks for this. I think it shows increased interest in this tournament. One thing I should point out (and forgive me if this was picked up earlier), but MLS when rolling out these Soccer Specific Stadiums has made a conscious decision to avoid the cavernous feeling of the mega stadiums that hold 60,000 or 90,000 etc. So looking at Toronto's number, that is pretty close to capacity, no? (I think they hold ~16,000) And last night at RSL, I think when you factor in capacity and subtract the seats CONCACAF takes away, we were over 100% seating capacity (they sold I think a few hundred SRO tickets).

Just cuffing it looking at the attendence averages, it seems RSL is probably 75-80% capacity, TFC probably 80%+ capacity. While these are down a little from the regular season games, not significantly so (particularly when you take into account Tues/Wed games, later starts, and many of these games are not included in season ticket packages).

Last night at Rio Tinto was just electric, btw. Incredible crowd. I brought a first timer and he was blown away.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torronto seats about 22K so 65% capacity

6. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    OK--thanks. Don't know why 16k stuck in my head--maybe that was their season ticket holder count or something.

7. pozinho

pozinho Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Madrid
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thank's for the work!

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Other fun facts

Preliminary round:
    Highest - Toronto FC v. Motagua, July 27, 2010 - 18,891
    Lowest - San Juan Jabloteh v. Santos, July 27, 2010 - 192
    Average - 6,121

Group stage:
    Highest - Seattle v. Monterrey, August 25, 2010 - 22,513
    Lowest - Joe Public v. Columbus, October 21, 2010 - 110
    Average - 6,265

Knockout rounds:
    Highest - Monterrey v. Salt Lake, April 20, 2011 - 30,247
    Lowest - Columbus v. Salt Lake, February 22, 2011 - 4,665
    Average - 18,580

9. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's super unlikely. Islanders show that these Caribbean islands are good for maybe one or two strong teams at most. Note these other PR in USL folding. T&T has an 11 team league, this in a country of 1.5million. And they have pro/rel too. If you ever go to their league's website, you'll see game recap pictures where the stands are absolutely empty. Its a shame too since many of these islands have a per capita income of about 20k (PR, T&T, Martinique, Guad, Aruba, etc). They have the economic means to support a strong team like Islanders. I think Jack Warner's corrupt hands are keeping T&T league in business. Imagine a team of former Ligue One players representing a team from Martinique playing against a team comprised of former Eredivise players for Aruba. The same goes with Central America. Costa rica has 12 teams in their league, though they dont even have 3 mil ppl.
    They have historic clubs down there in central america, but they could be stronger if their leagues were smaller (Fifa minimum of 9), and if they played other historic teams from central amer in a much more expanded Central American cup that maybe even takes up to half of the playing year. The attendance numbers show that its the areas outside of Mex & US that is seriously holding back CCL, and that keeps MLS ppl dreaming of invites to Copa Lib. Can you blame the Mexican for wanting to jump ship to conmebol?

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A SuperCaribbean League and a Top Division Central American League! ;)

Too Bad FIFA would say hells no! (also egos between countries/federations would be a problem).

11. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so I didnt exactly say a Top Division Central Amer. League, but more like an expanded Central American Cup, which they used to have, including most historic teams from the stronger leagues (Hon, Guat, & CR...excluding panama, nicaragua & el salvador based on support and infrastructure). Anyway, I dont see why FIFA would say anything about Caribbean territories getting together (PR, Mart, Guad, Aruba...only the economically well off islands though). Its not like these places are anywhere near their home countries (usa, france, netherlands). A USL teams in dirt poor Antigua boggles the mind. Just thinking of ways to create more super teams in that whole region for CCL. Of course, if a MLS team or two get reinvited back to Copa Sudamerican like DC united was some years ago, then I wont give a damn about CCL

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I am the one that would love a single top Central American league.

13. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This years attendance should be better. Colorado won't be a better draw than Columbus but Dallas can have a killer drawing. Same with LA and Seattle. Teams are going to take notice of the fact that RSL got good momentum and built club support with their run last year.

14. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i seriously doubt Dallas and Colorado will draw well, except for the game against Pumas for Dallas. They should change the rules to allow for teams to play their home games elsewhere then their own countries. Might make it exciting, maybe not. Imagine if Tempete get by Morelia in a stunner. It would kind of cool to allow them to play "home game" against LA in Miami.