2010-11 Coupe de la Ligue-Coupe de France thread [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by AfrcnHrbMan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Domestic cup thread

Coupe de la Ligue 1/8 finales
    OL v. PSG
    10/27/10
    2045 CET 1445 EST
    First match in the Coupe de la Ligue and we face PSG at home. Cissokho and Kolo are out for this game, so we may see Kim Kallstrom in at LB. Vercoutre will likely start in the net. Doesn't seem like Aulas cares much about this comp, so even if we lose we're likely not to see a shakeup.
    Le groupe lyonnais

Vercoutre, Gorgelin - Cris, Diakhaté, Lovren, Réveillère, Gassama - Källström, Makoun, Gonalons, Pjanic, Pied, Bastos, Grenier, Gourcuff - Briand, Gomis, Lisandro Lopez

ALLEZ L'OL

2. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was hoping to see Lacazette get some time...

3. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Giuly was MOTM. :cool:

4. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    done in by 2 former Lyonnais. almost predictable.

5. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed,

for lyon, midfield Grenier-Pjanić-Gonalons performed well, and gomis was a real team player, Kim did good as a LB

6. mrCham

mrCham New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    A really good game, entertaining to watch (for once) :)

7. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Haven't had a chance to see the match, yet, judging by the apathy on this thread I might not even bother now. Out of one competition. 3 more remaining.

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  9. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Holy goalposts batman!! Maybe I should have watched the match, looked to be an exciting one. I see Jimmy Briand scored again. Well taken goal too, I thought intially the defender had a touch on it, but I don't think so after the replays. Of course Bodmer scored against us. Scripted. Real nice shot though, a lazer volley.

10. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    no briand's goal was deflected. it looks like a perfect chip shot in some of the replays but it wasnt.

11. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the worst thing, though. Maybe the fans will be upset with the strikes going on and all, but big clubs just don't care about these Cup competitions unless their reserves win them for them.

I'm a Porto supporter, and I actually hope we lose early in our Cup so that we don't have to worry about fixture congestion and injuries later in the season. :D

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    after all i've said in the past about the coupe moustache it would have been hypocritical to put much emphasis on a victory here, but since we lost i can say i really was counting on this win... right now what we need is "serenity" which translated means enough points and good play to get the fans and the press off puel's back.

the good play we did get, OL really got the better of PSG in the first half, and they almost held on with that one goal. after the equalizer it was russian roulette, both teams taking turns on the counter. besides hitting the wood 3 times, there's good to be seen in the performances of pied, gonalons, grenier, and in the biggest surprise, gassama. he really did a good job, hopefully he'll turn out OK.

13. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We will be playing Stade Malherbe Caen in the CdF on Jan. 9th in Caen. I'm sure our first match is against a ligue1 side...Let's go for the trophy!

14. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Lyon Caen match is today at 1445 EST, not tomorrow. Let's win this trophy boys! Great having to play a ligue1 opponent right off the bat :rolleyes:
    I was hoping to see a younger squad.

Caen : Perquis - Inez, Leca, Heurtaux, Raineau - Marcq - Hamouma, Nivet, Seube, Mollo - El-Arabi.
    Lyon : Lloris - Réveillère, Diakhaté, Lovren, Cissokho - Gourcuff (ou Makoun), Toulalan, Källström - Bastos, Gomis, Lisandro.

Lloris and Gourcuff are question marks.

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, i did not see that coming, lucky back heel from Diakhate, 1-0

considering that this is the first real competitive game, i knew the team was going to struggle

glad to see toulalan back

16. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Coupe de France
    1/16 finales
    OL v. Nice
    Jan 23 2045 CET 1445 EST
    Stade du Ray

Let's keep the run of good form going. Puel says he's going with the same squad that torched Lorient last weekend.

ALLEZ LES GONES

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you're all so lucky not to have seen this. nice was feisty but that's about all; even a decent match by all concerned would have put us through to the huitièmes against CFA2 powerhouse Drancy.

OGCN scored on a 98th minute corner that bounced around in front of goal until it went in. funny old goal you can't really blame on or credit to anyone, but they had a couple of clear chances that were inexcusable: a cris howler and a dreadful cissokho clearance... hugo saved the day both times.

disappointing. from 75' on it looked like the Gym had shot their wad on a tight press, cris had found his marks after a horrific first half, pied for licha had perked up the attack... despite a very pale match up to then victory was looking inevitable.

chances, we had a few: a handful of middle distance shots mostly right at letizi, a gomis header that just missed on 86' and källstrom fluffing a sitter in overtime, our best chance, served up sweetly by RVR raiding brilliantly into the area. he along with lövren and lloris the only gones who were really up to snuff.

you can add gomis: he did fine with what he had but with the midfield offering no real alternative to going direct to bafé nice was able to concentrate on bottling him up very tight. there's the rub. besides getting eaten up on 50-50 balls neither kim nor yoyo created much after a very nice gourcuff-lisandro-gomis-gourcuff combination on about 10'.

that was also the last good thing i can remember licha doing. he can't be angry at anyone but himself for being brought off before the hour. cissokho and he were worse than transparent on the left, they were a liability; a shame we didn't try the right more, antho was excellent, bastos less flamboyant but at least got that nice cross to gomis on one of the rare balls that got up to him.

the last word? usually you expect subs to bring on some zing. but briand and delgado were useless. with 10 men i still felt we had a good chance to get to PK's, but playing at 8 les carottes étaient cuites.

18. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    very disappointing game and i was upset that ESPN 3 decided that 90 mins was enough and didnt bother showing the extra time. can't really blame them, it was a snoozer. Lyon didnt look very motivated and yes, Lisandro was rightly taken off for lack of effort.

19. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yea I was gonna try to hold out for a record but now I'm glad I didn't. Oh well the league title is still within our grasps, and theres the champions league to think about too.

20. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    good Coupe de la Ligue match/derby vs St Étienne away from home for OL who win 2-1 with goals from Briand and Bastos.

Lyon have drawn Lille for the next round but this time will play at home.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a real derby atmosphere including turpin sending everyone to the changing rooms when he got pelted by the green angels after calling the clear penalty.

a very opportunistic goal from a very good briand who left no task undone back to front. lacazette very dangerous; holds onto the ball well and certainly can slip behind defenses. the péno was solid and completely down to his skill. källström and gonalons very hungry, big matches from both of them. lovren and especially cris were very good and they had to be because both cissokho and dabo had a tendancy to put them in trouble (though dabo settled down in the last half hour). ederson and bastos less decisive (though bastos hit his PK with perfect cool even after being given 10 minutes to ruminate on it) but their technique was very useful in the general domination we kept all match in the middle. what work vercoutre had to do was done well; having him as n°2 all these years has been a boon to us few clubs can count on.

drawing the LOSC at home is a good thing. the first half at lille showed we can absolutely play at their level; next time we'll do it 90' instead of 45', for the sake of revenge if nothing else.

22. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    well also for the confidence of the team...if they can get a win.

23. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I really enjoyed the derby myself. The guys played hard, and Les Stephanois made it a game. Lacazette is looking pretty good, I have no doubt he would have scored if he wasn't brought down for the peno. He needs to be getting regular minutes.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    claro hombre! twice he screwed up two great runs due to lack of playing time with the big boys: once briand sent him in when he had positioned himself laterally perfectly but 50 cm offside; once he wanted to go but second guessed himself not thinking he'd get the through pass... that bastos sent for him playstation perfect. (alex, if you can't trust bastos to get that pass through who do you think can?)

i don't see gomis being left off much, but with bastos out i'm sure we'll see him this weekend.

25. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Lyon-Duchère AS (CFA) - Lyon (L1) derby time!