(2010.06.28) FIFA World Cup RO16: Paraguay x Japan [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimmyongguk

Kimmyongguk Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Beijing
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Re: (6.28.10) FIFA World Cup RO16: Paraguay vs Japan [R]

Japan's loss today was heartbreaking, I felt that I was shedding tears with those crying Japanese fans at the scene. Japan played well today, even though not as good as against Denmark. Japan had a good run, showed the world what the Japanese are capable of. I see bright future for Japanese soccer. Congrats. Better luck in 2014.

1 person likes this.
  2. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008

Damn right. In fact the So Koreans were very impressive too. But you can bet that team was not looking over its shoulder and hoping Japan would flop. It is only the narrow-minded few - idle spectators - who were wishing that.

In fact it is in the interest of all Asia that any Asian team does well, as the division of spots for each World Cup is always under review - and especially after this WC seeing as the EU and Africa have done poorly.

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Basse, as an Italian my "European Brothers" would be Portugal, Spain and Greece... I am not asking for Japanese or Korean to identify themselves with Oman or Indonesia, but with people which share most of their culture...

With that said, to each one his/her choice. In life and in soccer there are those people who like to hate their neighbors, be jealous of them and compete with them, I -as a lifestyle- try to befriend them, respect them and learn from them.

Then again, it is only soccer, ne... :cool:

4. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Doesn't look superb.

If we're looking towards the next World Cup instead of just next year, I could see it as something more along the lines of:

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Morimoto,Haraguchi,Kagawa,Kanazaki,Honda,Hasebe,Nagatomo,Makino,Iwamasa,Uchida,Kawashima[/LINEUP-4-5-1]
    Morimoto could be replaced with Okazaki, but Morimoto looks like he'd have the strength and selfishness to succeed in the role... I also had a bit of trouble working out a central defensive partner for Makino, and just figured Iwamasa would be just young enough to not have retired by that time (I doubt Tulio will be playing at 33).

5. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I don't think Okazaki is a striker of International level. He is PERFECT for J.League and Asian competition, but I still have to see him shine once against a European or South American club.

I hope that besides Morimoto, some of the young strikers (Miyayoshi, Usami, Shigematsu, etc.) will grow up o be a reliable striker--that is what we lacked in this WC.

6. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think it's just about impossible to predict a year from now, let alone 4 years.
    In 2006 we all probably thought Takahara would be around to stay.
    Six months before now we all probably would have predicted a different lineup and formation than Okada ended up going with. I mean, who would have guessed Honda by himself and that Okada would actually drop Naka?

7. Sebo43

Sebo43 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Turquia

It was sad that Japan loose at penalties.
    The asian teams make big steps forward after WC2002.
    I had enjoyed to watch Japanese Football, specially for Honda was a great tournament.
    High possibility that asian teams like Japan or South Korea bring strong teams for 2014.

8. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

You do know that was Paraguay's reserve team right? Far from the same team that's at the World Cup.

And no South Korea wasn't better then Uruguay, Uruguay let you guys play after taking the lead but immediately took the lead again after S.Korea equalized, no offense but your defense is a disaster. Japan's is much better and organized.

Anyways my analysis of the game was that neither team played very well today I think they where both too nervous and cautious. This was by far the most tense game of my life. (I didn't even watch the penalties I couldn't :eek: )

Japan does have a bright young team and will definitely do good things at the Asian cup and next qualifiers.

9. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

well you obviously were trying to start something. I'd go on but Latin Pride summed things up pretty well.

10. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

'Good things' at the Asian Cup?

We have to win AFC Asian Cup. No other result is acceptable.

11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

Bingo.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

Japan finished 2-1-1. Defeats (or victories) through penalty shoo-outs count as ties.

It's only snobbery that prevents people from realizing there are six new "consistent" powers around, strong enough to challenge any South American and European team: South Korea, Japan, Mexico, USA, Ghana and Ivory Coast.

13. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Tough luck. It sucks whenever you lose by PSO.

14. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I think he saw Hong Myung-bo taking game-winning PK back in 2002 against Spain :D

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I agree, and it is also true that in particular average European teams, such as Greece and Denmark, have been caught up by the new rising powers of International soccer.

Also, let's not forget Australia. they did not have a brilliant campaign this time, ruined by the initial waterloo against Germany, but we know they can usually field a very competitive team.

I am really looking forward to the Asian Cup in January!

16. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I don't really care about winning Asian Cup -- I want to see some development and getting back to the aesthetic football that Japan can play, trying some new forwards like Morimoto, Kagawa, Hirai, Watanabe, etc. built around Honda as the rainmaker.

17. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

[​IMG]

20. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Paraguay was better team , so I don't complain about PKs. And I thought Okada would mostlikely fail in WC, so I was wrong. Gomenne Okachan.
    Great effort by Japanese players. Thanks for it.
    But this game showed the limitation of Okada Japan. I hope next coach is more good at organizing attack.

1 person likes this.
  21. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

Back to the actual subject of this thread, the match.

One thing that really struck me in retrospect, is that Japan violated the principle of "dance with the one what brung ya" in a big way, even though overall that philosophy was the cornerstone of the campaign.

What I mean is, direct FK strikes on goal were the key element of the victory over Denmark. And although Paraguay was very disciplined on the whole to not give away dangerous FKs, they did give away a few. And depending on your interpretation of the intent of Honda's daisycutter, either zero or one of at least four or five FKs in shooting range were direct strikes on goal, as I recall. To me that is hard to understand. Why didn't Honda or Endo ever decide to take a crack at it?

We'll never know, but that strange abandonment of what had been working may have cost Japan the match.

22. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

Thanks for those pics, tako. Pretty moving.
    Looked like good sportsmanship there by the Paraguayan.
    I'm not mad at Komano. He shouldn't have been allowed to be put in that position, where failure was very likely in light of his attributes.

1 person likes this.
  23. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

I'm not sure if it wasn't the coach's mistake to use a guy who hadn't scored a goal in the previous 50 plus matches as the third pk guy. There were plenty of other options. Why him?

24. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think the mistake is that the formation and design was, more or less, to play for penalties from the beginning.
    Matsui was our best creative player on the pitch and he was the first to get yanked. Nothing went down the left side until Kengo came on. And Honda would've done miles better sitting behind a guy like Morimoto.
    The sit-back-and-defend-deep procedure used in the groups, when we really only needed draws after picking off Cameroon 1-0, wasn't going to work. Nor did Paraguay's attack warrant such caution. Finally, the players looked like they lacked the energy to do the crazy amount of running required for that strategy for the 4th match in a row too.

25. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

He's a very good from the spot. I believe he took them both in Asian Cup vs Australia and S. Korea and vs Switzerland in a friendly and made them all(correct me if I'm wrong).