(2010.06.14) FIFA World Cup: Japan x Cameroon [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Re: (06.14.10) FIFA World Cup: Japan vs. Cameroon [R]

The AFC should kick them out. :p

2. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

This result will turn out to the epitome of a "false dawn" for the Rising Sun, mark my words.
    It's like one of those days in the arctic just before perpetual night sets in... the sun comes just above the horizon for a few minutes, then sinks right back.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see the team play with more intensity and for players with quality like Matsui and Honda and Hasebe to step up.

But Okada has still built a terrible team. It takes real effort and evil genius to create a Japanese team that cannot pass the ball accurately and hold possession. That is like the mother's milk of Japanese soccer. It is like creating a disorganized German team, you have to really scrape hard against the grain of the soccer culture to build a Japan that can only complete two-thirds of its passes against the likes of Cameroon.

Endo needs to stop taking set pieces. Like Pirlo, he has simply lost his once excellent skills in that area.

3. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  4. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I gave them a chance. I have Japan making it to the quarterfinals in my ESPN bracket. :D

Was weird live and is now weirder. :eek:

5. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

If you're a betting man, I hope you made a shitload of money today.

6. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Since when?

All Asian teams should be doing well, and all Asian supporters should be backing each team. The better our results, the more respected the region becomes, more people will pay attention to the leagues, therefore more clubs will look to the area for more players, and the players and nations will in turn get stronger with the better competition.

7. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

The hell we should.
    I hope both Koreas and Australia crash and burn hard.
    You don't see Germans rooting for Italy or Americans for Mexico.
    I hate the AFC. It's just an alliance of our mortal enemies on the pitch.
    I don't care whether anyone anywhere "respects the region." I want them to cower in fear and awe of Japan's national team, and secondarily, of J-League teams
    I want to see our enemies driven before us and hear the lamentations of their women.
    F*** this Hatoyama-style kumbayah crapola.

8. Kigai

Kigai Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I am so happy! They played awful but still a win is a win! Almost couldn't sleep at night cause of the win!!

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

...but now Okada is a genius, and Okubo MVP... :rolleyes:

I mean, I AM NOT SAYING THEY DIDN'T DO WELL, what I am saying is that what Okubo did yesterday could have been done by probably 20 other Japanese players, including some (Sato?) who actually also are known for scoring goals at times.

Regarding Okada I have said enough. It will be easy to evaluate him when we'll see what the next coach will do with the same generation of players, but for now I hope Okada writes the history of Japan, and it is a positive one.

The data about the game are appalling, but what is left, after all the numbers and the chitchat, are three points that mean A LOT.

If as (I expected) the NT would have not won a single game for the second WC in a row, soccer in Japan would have received a huge blow. Circumstances do not really mean much: at this level, results are all.

Whatever will happen in the next two games, Japan has already achieved a new important result (winning abroad in a WC), and now there are even chances to go through the group, meaning all the media attentions will be on soccer for the next 10 days.

This we should give to Okada and his boys, including Okubo. They were ugly, they were lucky, but they earned it...

...just please do NOT tell me that Okada is the best coach and Okubo the best left midfielder Japan could have got for this WC -- that only, please spare me... :)

10. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I hope Asian teams do well, first of all because it guarantees more spots for us all to play in future WCs. And because this is the World's Game, and it is cool if not only European and Southamericans team win.

I am Italian and I do not cheer for France or Germany, but also I don't wish them evil. If they play well, I just give it to them... Eventually, all teams but one will crash out, in the end!

And speaking of Germany, it reminds me that now Australia-bashing is an easy exercise... But they played what seems so far the best team at this WC. I am not sure about South Korea, but how would have Japan fared against that Germany...? Good for us we got Cameroon!

I am personally happy that Japan won one and that South Korea did great with goals from ex-players from the club I support. During the WC I don't feel anymore the need to hate other teams or to rejoice of others' misfortunes.

11. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

Yyyyeeesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get in baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some real nervy moments, but in the end the defense did (just!) enough. There were some spectacular defensive plays at the close of the game. Japan are in a good position in the group, especially with the Netherlands coming up next. They'll know exactly what they need to do to advance in the third match, and a loss in match 2 isn't (likely) the end of the world (provided Cameroon doesn't thump Denmark).

13. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

Japan should never need to worry about any more than two spots for AFC. If we need the scumsucking North Koreans to pave the way for us, we've already fallen into the pit of hell.

I'm connected with Italy and I don't think you are typical in that regard.

Well then, you're really missing out! I'll never ever get tired of the timeless World Cup delights like seeing Mexico or Germany lose.

14. tfc_japan

tfc_japan New Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

that was nail biting stuff at the end but I am exstatic about the result. Nakazawa and Tulio were amazing and valiant. My only beef was...where was the threat of a counter? Maybe Okada was thinking along these lines by introducing two strikers as substitutes but there really was no threat of a counter to keep the Cameroonians honest.

15. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

When has Japan ever not sucked at the counter?
    And what striker on the roster - or even NOT on the roster - is a legitimate counter threat?

For all the criticisms I would make of Okada, Japan not having a counter threat is certainly not something he can be blamed for. Japan has always been a possession team that scores goals off of a buildup, and has never had any strikers that you would bet any portion of your rent money on to beat the last defender one on one and slot home past the keeper. The problem is Okada managed to make Japan also suck at playing possession. That really took some doing.

Obviously, Ishikawa, when he was coming into his own last year before the injury, is the one player who could have given Japan that counterstrike capability: blazing pace, decisive finishing, and sky-high confidence. It's really a shame how things turned out with him.

16. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

Yes he has but he has also managed to give Japan 3pts. How far did good possession get us 4 years ago. There is more than one way to play this game. Okada was brilliant today. Stop hating.

17. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Alright really, just before Japan scored, we were playing some okay football and really were controlling the game. okay that's fact.

now once we scored we had two options: 1, play like we did (they didn't force us into defence we chose it).
    or 2: Keep playing and keep dominating the play. Which could've resulted in 1 of 2 outcomes either we go 2-0 up and the story is told a little differently or we lose our lead which really didn't look likely Cameroon were shite. However unlikely it was that we'd lose the lead I think defending til the end was appropriate.

It was a milestone victory, it doesn't surprise me that it was a little ugly for the first win on foreign turf. And who cares we won. Usually justifying good or bad play is with the world cup in mind and "we must play like this for the WC" but at this stage its really just results that matter. Japan haven't forgotten how to attack it was a tactic today.

The netherlands won't take too much from how we played.

18. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Was just thinking, Japan has never had any real wingers right? Matsui is the only player who possess the traits and skill of a real winger, and thinking back Japan has mainly used fullbacks to run down the flanks, or am i wrong?

19. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Japan has plenty of good wings. You cant blame the wings just because Okada never calls them up (though in saying that, Komano plays as a midfield wing for Jubilo, not as a wingback).

Similarly, Japan has plenty of counterattack options. You cant blame the players just because Okada never calls them up. How many (hundreds of) times on this message board, alone, have people begged for a chance to see what the likes of Watanabe, Hasegawa, Yamase and Ishikawa could do?

Lets face it . . . giving Okada credit for his accomplishments, and getting behind the Japan team during the World Cup - thats one thing (and something I think most people want to do). But suggesting that this is the best Japan has to offer, and there were no other options available, even if the coach was a bit more adventurous and open-minded?

Sorry, thats something I simply cant stomach. I dont care if Japan wins the entire World Cup - I still will know in my heart that a more competent could name a Japan team that would be good enough to kick them up and down the pitch six ways from Sunday. :(

20. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

and for once, all the players were singing the national anthem.

21. blahloney

blahloney New Member

Aug 15, 2008

AFP BB News [YouTube] on Japan supporters' reactions. :D
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0i7lbX2OMg"]YouTube- ??????????????[/ame]

22. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Yeah, Okadas selections have angered many, me included but not much we can do about it. I used to follow J-League some years ago but now it´s much harder to find streams etc so i only follow the NT and ACL, so i can´t say im too knowledgeable about the new generation of players.
    My thought was about the NT, not just this year but previous years aswell, back when Alex and Kaji would roam the flanks.

23. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc_A1SqiPWE"]YouTube- eto&honda True Love long ver.[/ame]

A cookie if you can watch the whole thing.

0:30 - Easymode
    1:15 - Decent
    2:00 - Hard
    All 2:47 - Godlike

24. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcONu_NBbw"]YouTube- eto & honda Prohibited love[/ame]

Short version.

25. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

If Japan gets out of the group, it means that the people on here including myself(as much as I defend Okada, I don't agree with his decisions) are wrong and Okada is right. If we do get out, Okada will be the best manager that has ever managed Japan.