(2010.06.14) FIFA World Cup: Japan x Cameroon [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: (06.14.10) FIFA World Cup: Japan vs. Cameroon [R]

Good win. However not to sound like a pessimist, but the performance dosen't fill me with confidence and Japan will need to be much better to get anything against Holland and Denmark. I'd like to see Honda played just behind a real striker in the next game. Massive props must go to the defence, Okubo, Abe , Honda and Hasebe who worked their socks off.

2. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

Actually Okubo wasn't bad this game. He serves his purpose of disrupting the other team.

3. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Not bad. But I want to see Japan start with another formation. I have a feeling it's not going to be good enough against Holland and Denmark.

4. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

Well they need to go all out for the draw against Holland. Not sure if that is possible though. There are so many ways they can score..

5. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yes. I think they will get atleast 2 against Japan. Tulio and Nakazawa needs to play like they did today. Fkcing fantastic. Pay tribute two those two.

But Japans problem is the same as before. Can't create shit.

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Ok, I believe we need to set this straight...;)

Okada is a well-paid professional. In such position he is exposed to both praise AND criticism. His team this year has been overall DREADFUL. That is a fact. And accordingly it is just fair that fans criticized him.

Okada has achieved a lot for Japan in 1998, and he of course did a good job at Marinos as well; however, as coach he is extremely limited. He is conservative, sticks to the same players even when they're brutally out of shape; he lacks imagination and -at least until today- in his second coming he has failed to instill team-spirit in his boys.

I do praise him for his achievement today, but I can't for example do without observing that he fielded Okubo, who completed 4 passes out of 14, and Yano, who came in fresh to keep the ball for 10 minutes and could not do that. Ditto for Okazaki, who clearly doesn't have what it takes at this level (while he is perfect for J.League and inter-asian competitions).

Are Okubo and Yano the best Japan has to offer in that positions? Hell no, and no matter if we win or not, that for me (and many) that is still a fact and we will be so much better off with Sato and even Yanagisawa.

With that said, today's simple strategy was well implemented, he picked the right boy to disrupt Eto'o's play (Nagatomo), he had the guts to use a debutant goalie who did well when it mattered, and in general he fielded a team that played with a big heart.

I don't believe one should necessarily subscribe to Okada's soccer, or hate him no matter what. To me he remains an overall mediocre coach, at this level, but today he did his best, he was professional and he was lucky as well.

He won, Japan won, we won, so, I think I can say "Bravo Okada" even after I have criticized him in the last months. ;)

7. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Okubo was not bad, he played his real best and avoided any annoying attitude.

But that is where it ends. I really don't believe he is a world class player, otherwise he would be still playing in Europe and at least in Gamba or Antlers, not Vissel.

But now that we're stuck with him, I hope he keeps doing his best, as he did tonight and versus England.

8. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Congrats Japan, nice win there. I'm so glad you smashed all the smack talkers in the face with this win, the crap that has been said about Japan was unbelievable, and not deserved. I knew better after the last friendly you played against us. Watch out for the Danes though, they're very good at disrupting their opponents flow and are a tough nut to crack.

9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

So proud of Japan! Was very pleased to see Honda and Hasebe provide some quality to the team and solid execution at the back.

Key for me tactically was moving Honda to the wing so that he could get more involved in the game - because we struggled to get him the ball in the striker role.

10. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

the stroke of 'genius' that won us the game:D:

"They asked me before the match if they could stand with shoulders linked at the national anthem. I thought it was a good idea." - Takeshi okada

11. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

I dont agree with ur critisicism of Okubo. Sure, he is not the most talented player there is, but he works as an important member of Okada's system, and deserves his place in the team imho.

Sure, he might have missed many passes, but Okubo actually won alot of important duels, and helped alot defensively. Cameroon only managed to get around on the right-flank on one occasion, through Eto'o, and in a game like this Okubo was definitiely the right man for that position, as he helped Nagatomo out on pretty much all occasions. He also had a couple of nice involvements up front, although he clearly focused on defending here, unlike for example Matsui on the other flank.

Okubo's workrate are also among the best at Japan ( i havent seen any statistics underlining that, but looking at previous games i would think that was the case here as well), and Japan needs players like that. Sato, Maeda, Morimoto. Shunsuke or Ogasawara might be better players than him, but would they have filled that role the way Okubo did this match? I personally dont think so. If not Okubo, it would have been Honda that had that role, with Okazaki or Morimoto as the lone striker, and I dont think that would have worked the same way either.

Sure, Okada isnt a genius, but he did everything right in this match, and I think we should focus on that and say "bravo Okada", like u did at the end of your post:)

It wasnt beautiful, but it was 3 VERY important points, , and the first win on foreign soil in a WC, and with that Okada and Japan have already done better than what the people bashing him/them have predicted.

12. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

[​IMG]

13. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

ghey!

14. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=264056&cc=5901&ver=us

• Japan created only three scoring chances, the lowest number by a winning team at the World Cup since the stat was first tracked in 1966.

• Japan's 71.2% passing accuracy, 226 passes completed and 45% possession are the lowest by a victorious team at this year's tournament.

• Japan won despite not having a corner kick -- just the sixth team since 1966 to win without taking a corner.

• The two teams combined for 49 fouls, the highest total so far. Cameroon (20.8) and Japan (20.4) are second and third, respectively, in fouls committed per match since 1966 (minimum 10 matches played).

15. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

I SWEAR, Eto'o must be closet ghey or something, or is he just normally a bubbly man?

That was weird load of affection and the fact that it stayed on screen for quite long was funny.

16. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  17. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

They should win the WC because they're breaking the boundaries!

18. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002

CONGRATS!!! from SK.
    I do have to confess I kinda loudly cursed when Cameroon hit ur goal post.
    but anyhoo.
    great result

19. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I have to give most of the credit to the back line.

They were great I thought that Nagatomo was going to get out of position, but he managed to stay disciplined and focus on defense.

Hasebe and Abe were great too. They challenged every ball and played like their lives depended on it.

20. Tiger12

Tiger12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Well Done, keep the momentum going.

21. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Congrats! Nippon. I knew you guys could do it.

22. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I also have to say Abe impressed me.

23. thewoo

thewoo Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Nice one, Japan and S.Korea doing Asia proud.

Now let's all laugh at the Aussies, self proclaimed greatest team in Asia by a great great margin.

24. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

I also say congrats to S Korea and Japan for their positive results thus far and hope you can continue to go far.

Edit: you sound like an idiot, woo. But every forum/country has one.:eek:

25. methklok

methklok New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm neutral and I enjoyed it thoroughly. My Cameroonian coworker, not so much.