(2010.05.30) Friendly: England x Japan [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by shuvy87, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Re: (05.30.10) Friendly: England vs. Japan [R]

Exactly what I said during the game. And I didn't like this 50 yards FK when he could have created an occasion by putting the ball in the penalty area. This guy is too much confident.

2. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Agree. Despite Okubo's low scoring-rate his work-rate is really important for Japan, and we saw the difference between him and Honda were very clear this match. Honda barely contributed at all in defence, and although he might be a bit more dangerous going forward than Okubo Japan can't afford to have a "luxury-player" like that, atleast not against good teams like Holland or England. I say start with Matsui and Okubo on the wings, because Matsui works alot harder than Honda, and his tricks are often more effective as well. If not, Morimoto up front and Okazaki on the wing as you said.

Abe did a great job as well as the DM, and I really hope this is the formation Japan will play with in the WC. About the playmaker-role, I dont think it will matter too much whether they use Endo, Shunsuke or Kengo there, but for the moment Shunsuke is the worst among those 3, and when it comes to creativity I rate Endo as a better player than Kengo, so Endo is a decent choice there, especially when he have Hasebe and Abe around him to fend off the opponents.

Now I believe even more that Japan will beat Cameroon, and I think the key-game will be against Denmark, but if Japan play like today they will win i think.

3. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think this match was a good example of how we don't miss Shunsuke. I agree that Honda was not really visible, but there was this one shot where he nearly changed the course of the match (while ok, his hand led to the PK :rolleyes:).
    Well, if we are to compare to the current Shunsuke, one of the differences is that Honda can still pose as a threat if he is otherwise insignificant and well-contained by the opponents, but I am quite sure that if Shunsuke is invisible, he will stay invisible for the whole match.

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

i knew people would start hopping on the bandwagon haha. I liked the discipline of that game. The one-touch football in the first half was great to watch.

With Okubo, it appears that against a team where Japan can dominate the midfield and control proceedings, he's just a pain cause we don't really need that sort of defensive work as much, as opposed to pure goal-scoring and finishing.
    However against the better sides where upmost concentration is needed by all 11 in both offence and defence, he does become a quite effective player.

Morimoto I think should be given the chance to start against Ivory coast. Also Narazaki and Kawashima should get 45 minutes each cause Kawashima was inspirational.

Most important though: NO INJURIES!!!!

I thought in the first half, Honda did a good job or retaining possession and creating a calmer sense within the team. Also sure he didn't look like he ran a lot but thinking back he never left Konno on his own to defend the wings.

Honda should start.

5. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think Okada made the right decision to only use 3 subs.
    This is supposed to be prep for WC and they're in Switzerland specifically to work on fitness.

I only thought of him like "please don't sub him in please don't sub him in" :p
    Hopefully this game is the end of Naka starting the WC. Love the guy, but he's holding the team back.

That's what I'm hoping too.
    I can start to appreciate Abe and Okubo somewhat. They still lack quality imo, but they work hard. When Abe is played as DM he can do a job.
    Additionally Okubo really got under their skin. That's fine with me. It seems to have gotten around that teams can cheat at will against Japan and nothing will happen -- it's unfortunate the officials buy all their crap, but that's how it goes. Okubo gets gamesmanship, I just hope he doesn't lose his temper.

To be fair this was hardly a settled side for Japan either. I don't know how much experimenting Capello started off with -- but we haven't seen a 4321 like this for... ??? either.
    This was an experiment for Okada as well... and seems to have finally tripped into a formation that might work against a side like Netherlands, who I think we all know play quite dirty.

6. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I sadly agree on no-need for present day's Shunsuke. But... don't you think that the same is true for Endo? Honestly, what did he do in the last two games? He is blatantly out of condition. Honda at least manages to get involved in the game, but Endo seems really too slow, almost alienated.

The same problem I see with Nakazawa (not on speed, but focus and skill in general). But of course it is too late to sub him. Iwamasa was not given the chance to make experience, and Makino is at home.

In any case, what done today's would have enough to win, if only we had a striker worth of this name.

Honestly, in the last two games Morimoto was given 1/4th of the time that was granted to Okazaki, but he created the two best chances for Japan, besides Tulio's goal. I'd say, let him start once, and see what happens. Eventually, you can bring in Okazaki later.

7. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

Here's few words of what I think about Honda. It's always good to keep a player who can score outside of the box no matter if it's 1st or 90th minute of the game. He doesn't spoil every action of his team, and yeah, he gives some kind of 'pace regulation' of the game as stated before. I also think that right winger position isn't best for him and he should play closer to the center of the field.

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Akito, we all know that Japan can play well even against high-level opponents.

The reason why many were (still are?) pissed off is because this team was not given a soul, and because some of the picks were frankly absurd.

This game surely doesn't change my judgement about Okada (today again at fault, IMO), nor it changes my sincere hope that our team will play a good WC.

I don't think there is anymore need to discuss Okada's competence in general, as he did it by himself by offering to resign... Pointing out at his specific errors, instead, is part of the "game" on this board.

If you have a look at this week Soccer Digest or El Golazo, you'll see that the japanese journalists are not any kinder.

9. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Doesn't mean they're right.

10. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

One thing I worry is, do you guys think Japan played well against England because they were supposed to be weaker? I mean, Japan's style is suitable when they want to play a concrete game, because the players are disciplined and has good senses of positions.
    But in open game, the game they need to win (vs Serbia , Korea), Japan collapsed in unacceptable way, and the defence looked ridiculous.

Will the game against Cameroon turn into that way? A winable game for Japan, and Eto'o has a great chance to cause chaos because Japan formation sure will be alot more open.

11. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

That is a good question and is one I think we're gonna maybe find out against Ivory Coast. But there was a clear tactical difference between this game and the last. On top of that apparently Tulio and Kawaguchi yelled some sense into the side.

12. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

hopping on the bandwagon? If you look back on my previous comments you will see that I believed the same thing earlier as well.

Like many of the other critical posters, I agree that players like KAgawa and Ono should be in the squad, but I think I'm one of few members here who have spoken nice about Okubo and Tamada. True, I said before I would rather see Matsui or Honda start on the wing than Okubo, but if Honda doesnt put in any more work than what he have done in the last 2 matches I say go with Okubo instead.

13. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Why did they need to win against Serbia and South Korea? Ok, fair enough that it would of been good for their morale and all, but those two games were pretty much friendlies as well.

Despite two own goals, they could of won the game. England --as a lot of people have said, were unconvincing, despite it being a mix of a string and b string players, everyone expected them to win the game. England ended up doing that, but it wasn't by their own feet. Japan shot themselves twice on the foot, but in the end people are a bit satisfied that they've sort of got their act together.

14. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

I think the biggst difference between this game and previous game were which side Japan played, by side i mean the team that holds most possesion or the team sitting back and playing most by counter attacking. Previous games, against Korea, Serbia and China, Japan played as the possesion team, which obviously hasn´t worked for them.
    Japan are tradionally very strong at keeping possesion and very good at breaking up defenses with killer passes, something i haven´t seen with this current squad under Okada.
    Today against England ( i only saw from second half so i can´t say for sure) they were forced to sit back and sulk up pressure and then counter attack, and i think that was the biggest difference from this and previous games.

15. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Their starting XI contained probably 7 1st string regulars. The others came on after the break. Seriously, they would not have won if they kept to 3 subs. They just wouldn't have had the legs to keep that tempo.

16. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

What Puckodum said is exactly what I want to say.
    And to solve this kind of problem, the most effective way is set pieces. Very happy to see Japan started to score in set pieces again, which they used to do very well.

One goal and Japan can force their opponent to play their way. As long as Mr.OG is not on the field.

17. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Well, let's just say if those two og's were in the right direction. There would of been a more satisfying reaction. I'm going back to being positive, don't be a killjoy to me.
    As for the dying legs, give them some powerade xD.

18. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

Okada vs Capello :p

[​IMG]

I wonder what Capello said during the yelling match with Okada. +1 Rep to Okada.

And of course game MVP Tulio!

[​IMG]

19. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Thanks for the pics. More appreciated.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to say an interested neutral observer that the referee did a lot to influence the outcome of this game. He clearly allowed England to play their usual EPL like physical match and just about every 50/50 call went England's way. Clearly, it unsettled Japan. Would England have prevailed in the end? Perhaps, but allowing all the rough play to go unsanctioned, he favored one style of play over another.

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just my two cents, but Japan had lots of crisp one touch passing in the first half, in the second half, they had trouble maintaining possession and maintain the consistency in the buildup of the attack they had in the first half. Partly this was due to the officiating, but it had more to do with how England pressured the ball.

22. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

Err ... Okay! :p

Got to love the contrast in emotions between Kawashima and the boy at the back. (This was immediately after the PK save for those wondering)

[​IMG]

23. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

A little bit more and he would have turned in a Supa Saiyajin :eek: . great Kawashima. I wanna see him start.
    Anyway, I enjoy your pics, do you have some more ?

24. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

Let's hope this kind of passion spreads thoughout the squad

25. magic journey

magic journey Member+

Feb 20, 2010

agreed.

a specialy danger kick against okazaki and some other scene,,was definatly foul,and must whistle...but ref say game continue/move on.