(2010.05.30) Friendly: England x Japan [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by shuvy87, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: (05.30.10) Friendly: England vs. Japan [R]

Okada, being a tactical genius, has planned it so that they will be in peak condition just in time for the Semifinals.

2. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

It was with a Korean friend....

Can't exactly bet against can I?
    Thinking back I should have just gave him the money right then.

3. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think they got away with a lot more physical bs than they'd get away with in -- say -- Champions League.
    I don't know that I'd call it "EPL rules" -- because they were definitely fouls for which the ref decided, for whatever reason, he wasn't going to call or card but just let the game continue.

4. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Aww, look not really your fault seeing that Japan used to be predictable and a bit easier to bet on.

5. grassroots

grassroots New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Sapporo
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I agree the Ref seemed in a lenient mood.

6. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He may have been. But that is because the game was not overly dirty. The challenges where tough, but not malicious. There where challenges from both sides that could have been carded. Maybe more challenges from the English than the Japanese, but thats because the Japanese dont play the game as hard as the English in general. Walcott got his ankle clobbered on a couple of occasions as he went down the wing. Challenges where not dirty, just a little late since Walcott can really shift given a little space.

Anyway. The Japanese played much better than they did against the Koreans, which should help with confidence. Some nice one-touch passing, one round of which saw the Japanese score a well-taken goal.

From an English point of view, the fact that some of the players where (barely) running around half-arsed, makes Capello's life much easier in cutting some of the squad today!

7. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

A number of "challenges", as you say, from Rooney in particular struck me as crossing a line.
    There was more than one time he ran out of nowhere just to slide tackle one or two players who had, apparently, displeased his royal highness and in which he was nowhere near the ball.

8. grassroots

grassroots New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Sapporo
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That's Rooney man. Im not condoning it, but many of the sport's geniuses have nasty streaks, look at Zidane. I'm just happy he has calmed down a bit compared to a couple of years back.

9. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Hey look I'm just pleased that we came out with no injuries, at this point in time I don't really care what Rooney did just pleased the defence kept england's forwards goalless.

in at 10 pm AEST, Denmark are playing Australia in south africa. Will be interesting to watch. See how Denmark are without Kjaer and Sorensen.

10. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Denmark looks pretty flat out there, they have had some decent opportunities, but they don't look like they want to win this match.

Denmark's keeper doesn't look that great either, we should take lots of shots I'm thinking.

11. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

It's a friendly, and maybe they want to mind-fcuk people? but then again they have a few injured people on their squad.

12. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I know there are injuries, but still, I don't think anyone is going to play this half-assed in a friendly right before the world cup, I think that Denmark has fitness issues similar to Japan's, they have really slowed down here, and haven't looked to adventurous in trying to go for an equalizer in the last 20 minutes.

13. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

LOL half-arsed, then it'll be an interesting game against Japan and Denmark. I reckon that game will be their hardest. While, Japan should aim to beat Cameroon, the Denmark game will be tight. We have no hope against the Netherlands.

14. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Always in motion, the future is.

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The likely scenario is win or tie vs Cameroon, lose not too bad vs Holland and then play your chances vs Denmark.

If we lose to Cameroon, of course there is no scenario.

16. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Wow, Walcott stays at home. Capello must think that Nagatomo did a too good job... :eek:

Nagatomo said that Walcott was the fastest player he played against yet. But anyway, was not Uchida shadowing Robben against NL?

17. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Ok, I don't want to read too much in it, but I think we probably have the games in the best order of the group (assuming NL don't really care who comes first or last): Cameroon is in turmoil, no pressure against NL and finally Denmark who may be under pressure to beat us.

18. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

But if we fail against Cameroon, or simply tie, we're gonna be 0 or only 1 after two games and there will be a lot of pressure vs the danes.
    Danemark -> Cameroon -> Netherlands would have been the best IMO. But we had this type of draw 4 years ago and did nothing with it so ... :rolleyes:

19. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ultimately, the game against Cameroon is crucial. Beat Cameroon and Japan have a shot. Lose to Cameroon, and will need to go for wins against the Danes and the Dutch. Beating the Dutch will be a hugely difficult prospect!

20. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

Psh ... Japan have been mind-fcuking people for the last half a year or so now ....

I would have had Cameroon 1st but given the injuries Denmark has had hmmm ... and that last statement oh so true ... but then again in Euro 08 I believe the Dutch advanced with 1 group game to spare then rested key players for the final game though they still won

Statistics back the absolute importance of the Cameroon game. This was posted somewhere before which shows how teams perform after their 1st game result.

'98, '02 & '06
    Result------Teams Advanced Percent
    Win----------36--------31-----------86.1%
    Draw----------24--------14------------58.3%
    Loss----------36--------3--------------8.3%