(2010.05.24) Friendly: Japan x Republic of Korea [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Saku², May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Japan - Republic of Korea (5/24)

Massive booing in Saitama, and well deserved.

Except for Morimoto's great shot and Okubo's effort in the first half, Japan offensively was pathetic. Okazaki seems very good against weak Asian sides, but in real games he tends to lose confidence easily.

The Japanese forwards in best shape are playing the Nabisco Cup, and we go to South Africa with an uninspiring, out of condition team.

This of the last months is the worst Japan of the last 10 years or so. Not much else to say.

Finally, congrats to Korea. They played their game, scored a wonderful goal, defended well and lucky them, they have a coach with enough guts to pull out Park and put in a 18yo with the game still open...

Nabisco Cup, Round 4 coming -- Yay!!

2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Is there any Japanese forward who doesn't choke with the national team ? I doubt it. I'm doubting about everything right now.

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I agree, the defenders and the holding midfielders did overall OK.
    The problem are the forwards and the offensive midfielders. Kagawa was rottening on the bench, while Endo and Shunsuke were barely capable of running. and Morimoto came in when most of his team-mates were short of oxygen...

I apologize if I am redundant, I DON'T believe Okada is good enough to lead a team at a World Cup, really. Japan is wasting years and years of work by putting the most important team in the country in the hands of an average coach--unforgivable.

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

You won't know, because they have been given zero (Watanabe), half (Sato) or perhaps one (Maeda) chance.

5. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Sure, he is already 32 years-old, and will be 36 years-old at 2014 WC, so he has no chance to play for the NT after the WC.

The Same should be said about S.Nakamura, Endo, Narazaki, Inamoto, Tamada, K.Nakamura, Okubo, Matsui and Abe, all of these players will be too old for 2014, and Japan should start to build a new team for the 2014 WC with players like Honda, Hasebe, Konno, Kawashima, Uchida, Nagatomo, Okazaki, Moriomoto and Iwamasa as the only survivors from this WC squad, and as the core members for the 2014 WC, and with some young blood and a potent coach, Japan should target a last-8 finish at the 2014 WC.

6. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Hmmm ... I will never be as sure as you about Sato but Watanabe, well, yeah.
    But the thing we really need is ... efficiency. Stop making one hundred and one passes, but to try progressing with a few number of passes.

Also the defense, but it's the same in J.League, is waaaay too soft. WTF is the first goal ? No one wanna touch his majesty Park Ji-sung ? This is ... depressing.

7. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFU6NZjhd_0"]YouTube- 5?24? ??? ??? ???!!.flv[/ame]

Seems like they were in the process of doing so.

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Ok, Sato might not be a World Class striker, but is how could be be less effective than Okubo? Or Yano?

I am not talking about tonight or the last few games, I am talking about the last two years or so, FOR SURE this season... :cool:

9. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Yeah, yeah, but I meant hard challenges. The kind you see at the best level. Here I just observe players who try very weakly then run behing expecting Park to miss his shot or fall by himself.
    They don't wanna fight. They never complain about the referee's decisions, never rebel against themselves. Seems like they're dead. Someone has to change this mentality.

10. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

I found it funny that the only Antlers player was on the Korean team.....

11. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Nagamoto played alright keeping Park quiet on the left flank, I really enjoyed the battle between them. He was Japan's best man of the match imo. Okazaki disappeared during the entire match, who was replaced by Morimoto. Morimoto tried to liven things up in the second half but Japan's midfield was pressured in the middle. By far, Okubo was the most threatening player from Japan, which is quite an irony (maybe fans hope his injury is not serious perhaps???).

I'm a bit concerned about Japan's form right now. From the last four matches I've seen or so, their game play doesn't seem to improve. Despite having European based players in today's match, it still resembled a lot like any other last matches. Problem is, Japan tries to play immaculate football with their beautiful passing but all it takes is one pass or counter-attack to kill it. Apologize if this might sound harsh, Okada's demand for players to play like a 'fly' really made them play like mindless drones. In my eyes, all I saw was meaningless passing with no game plan whatsoever. Someone needs to step up...

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Hey, the only Sanga player too!! :D

13. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

This is awful, some of us obviously predicted they would lose but because they lost at home, to a big rival, the ice is getting thinner. It's a measly friendly. I know its the teams fault. But as for the fans, the teams morale and mentality is already down, why boo and put them down even more when the tournament is very close.

But please tell me briefly, was the game really that horrible?

14. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

If somebody wants to play like that in WC level he probably needs someone like Drogba. There are few players like him in the world and none is from Japan. Japan NT plays technical football and that's why I really enjoy J League. And all of the worlds strongest teams are playing with lots of passes (hundreds - Spain, Argentina, Portugal and Brazil) because they have to play beautifuly for their fans. You want Japan to play Italian style of football - sent long ball to the fast forward and maybe he'll succeed - which is killing football for decades so badly? Fouls are most likely caused by lack of abilities (I'm not mentionig those far from the goal). And that was only a friendly match (but Endo was worst on the pitch tonight so he had to play physically - is there any chance that he could be replaced by Yuki Abe?).

15. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Hey don't get me wrong that's why I love our NT But it's something beautiful when it ends with a chance or a shot. Here ? Nada. And it's ugly to watch because it ends with a backpass which makes our defense uncomfortable and create a trouble.
    Something is broken. Last year I really enjoyed our games, this year it's just frustrating.

16. Value san

Value san New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I agree with you...
    It also seems that Japan has a complete lack of communication inside the team.. Its just 11 individuals putting almost no effort into play...
    Good work by Nagatomo, putting some pressure up...
    And also Okubo showed some class (i dont believe i would be writing this someday)
    And it doesnt make sense if Nagatomo puts the pressure up all alone..
    plus..most of the team was just apathic imo....
    The players needed a big wake up call in the half time.. but Okada doesnt seem to be this kind of manager,by reading his "aah.. mendokusai" face during first half.... c'mon guys.. two weeks before wc and ur playing with no fun or courage.....
    Call Gon and King Kazu...

Anyway... here i am, still hoping for the wc!

17. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria

Nakazawa had a fairly decent game I think, he thwarted several Korean attacks, was dominant in the air and no Korean player managed to trouble him physically in duels. Abe wasn't that good but it's not his fault, he is more of an attacking midfielder, he should only be played as a defender in case of emergency, he shouldn't serve as the first backup option ! :eek: If Tulio was injured or something, why not using Iwamasa instead ? He desperately needs international experience and automatisms with the rest of the team.

Nagatomo was the best Japanese player, tireless runner, combative, tenacious, present both in attack and defense.

K. Nakamura was more dangerous than Sunshuke, Honda and Endo reunited, he should start instead of Endo.

Okada should start with 2 real strikers and associate Okazaki with Morimoto, Shinji is too isolated at the front and when he plays alone he is easily marked and neutralized by defenders. He could have done much better in today's game but I still have faith in him. He greatly depends on his teammates to score and he had very little good occasions.

Okubo wasn't that bad (if only he scored that shot. :( ) but he doesn't have what it takes start, Matsui is a better choice (or even Honda at the left side).

The playmakers (biggest strength of the Japanese NT not so long ago) were insipid, out of form, tired from the beginning and uninspired. They're the ones to blame (with Okada) for today's defeat.

But we shouldn't give up yet, more serious tests await the team, and the coach must learn from his mistakes. South Korea and Japan will play against the two best teams in the world currently (England and Spain) and it will reveal a lot about the strengths, weaknesses of the two teams and their chances of advancing far in the World Cup.

18. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I don't think Japan's style lacks killer pass. Remember Japan - Brazil in Confed cup 2005 or Japan - Germany friendly match before WC ? The problem now, in my opinion is, the players don't click(understanding each others?, eh I don't know the exact word). There were so many miss passes tonight, which we don't usually see in Japan

The thing i also think the problem is, Japan use too many playmakers. We always know Nakamura and Honda hardly play with each other, and I think we can add Endo and Kengo in the list. I can't imagine when playing with all of them, only Hasebe is capable of doing the dirty work. A team only needs 1 or 2 skillful midfielders, and some speedy,hard workers to do the damages. I can't follow the J-league, but in some AFC Champions League games, I can see J - league team plays well using this framework. Like Gamba has only Endo, or Kashima with Ogasawara.Why can't the NT play in this way? In about 5 minutes when Japan only had Kengo on the field, they finally pulled some smooth passes, and put Morimoto in dangerous position.

And about the wing, as I see Japan teams seem prefer using full back to attack on the wing. I still have the impression when watching Kaji and Alex around 2005, 2006. Tonight when the fullback is B-choice, Japan played badly, but with Uchida and Nagatomo in their best condition, maybe it will be fine. But I still think Japan need one more defensive-mind midfielder. Many top teams use this kind of formation, like Chelsea with Ashley Cole and Ivanovic, but all their midfielders have great workrate and can defend very well.

Base on tonight's game I think with best fullbacks, by dropping one of Endo or Nakamura, adding one gung-ho type midfielder or one winger, Japan would be much much better.

The defence was not bad at all. First goal is more like midfielder and GK fault, second goal was typical late goal when one team goes all or nothing.

PS: Agree with Value san and SkyPiecer here

19. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

Really? I've got to see that one again tonight. I don't think the keeper ever touched the ball but he certainly made contact.

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

His knees were on the grass even before Narazaki touched him. He had what he was looking for.

Skypiercer and mushu21 > I agree. Now we're gonna need some wingers.

21. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

PCJ bowed, attacked Narazaki with his knees

22. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

I like Endo for his finesse and smooth passing but today he was hacking down players w/out getting a touch on the ball - disappointing.

23. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

His penalty was pretty soft too, oh well.

24. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Can't blame a player for looking for a PK in such occasions. The point is he shouldn't have gone 1v1 with Narazaki...

25. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I thought the same thing. I remember 2005 member really stood out in my mind. Under the guidance of Zico, Japan was a well polished team. With Nakamura taking the anchor role in the middle, he did a real good job of linking players up front, Ogasawara and Yanagisawa. Also with the support from fullbacks like Alex and Komano, Japan constantly posed threat to opposing teams while never short on attacking options. Unfortunately, Okada Japan, despite the talent (leaving out great choice of players), chooses to play one-dimentional football. Just like you mentioned, there are too many playmakers at the moment with overlaping roles.