(2010.05.24) Friendly: Japan x Republic of Korea [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Saku², May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Re: (05.24.10) Friendly: Japan vs. Republic of Korea [R]

They didn't lose. It's just different.
    And maybe the injuries prevented us from setting the best team, but a decent and normal team was available. Just put the players at their right place. What was this defence, what was Okada thinking ? I'm still in the bandwagon and will ever be but damn, we could have done so better.

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  2. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009

I understand there is a difference. I am just saying it can't be used as an excuse.

3. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Portugal and Japan are pretty similar in squad composition

Abundance of midfielders, a couple of decent defenders, but no strikers that can score consistently

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The difference is that Portugal, with its small population, is a recognized soccer world power with nothing to prove in a pre-WC game, while Japan is now failing to achieve results even at home against Asian rivals.

Our game was the last in Japan, and an ABSOLUTE anti-climax.

SkyPerfecTV is showing games from 2002 and 2006, and a simple glimpse at it just shows how bad is the team now, even thou we have better, more experienced players.

Not only some of today's picks are debatable and tactically we're very hybrid: the team seems physically tired and I see no unity of intent. In other words, Okada failed to create a group that fights together, and anybody who knows a bit about soccer knows that in such condition either one has a Maradona in the team, or else (our case) you're doomed.

I am really afraid this World Cup will bring just more frustration.

5. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

You probably mean the JFA...;)

JAF are the guys who come pick you up when your car breaks down, like Triple-A (AAA) in the US.

Well, actually Okada's Japan might need the JAF as well... :(

6. nakata101

nakata101 Member

Mar 2, 2008

Opps...sorry... yup I mean (JFA)Japan Football Association.

7. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfwU6T_7P6w"]YouTube- ???? ?? X ?? 2010.05.24 (HD1080)[/ame]

I didn't have the chance to watch it live. Is this a balanced account of the match?

8. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

From The Japan Times article by Andrew McKirdy:

"In the first half we wanted to keep it at 0-0, so when they scored it made things difficult," said Okada. "One thing I have taken from this match is that when you play against opponents like this you have to fight."

This realization is about three years too late, isn't it Mr. Okada?

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

OK, now... I am quite FURIOUS!! :mad:

Sorry, this from Okada seems exactly like the idiocy I have heard from Kato (Kyoto Sanga FC's coach) every time we lost this season... What does Okada mean: "WE (<--who, by the way?? Most players seemed pissed off with the way the game was going...) WANTED TO KEEP IT AT 0-0"...??? All due respect to Korea, but we were not playing Argentina in Buenos Aires...

And this goes together with all the crapola such as "Yano is good at defending too," playing Endo in the back and Abe as centerback, etc...

OKADA WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??????:confused:

This National Team should be the result of 17 years of professional soccer, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?????:mad:

10. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

No, they WERE close. They had an even record for like 15 years and hadn't lost by more than 1 goal during that period. But now they have lost by 2 goals twice in just a few months, and at home. They were dominated too. The highlight programs had to show all their scuffed shots that went no where near the goal because there was nothing else to show other than the 1 shot straight at the keeper by Morimoto.

Portugal has been crap for a while. All this means is that North Korea will probably finish with 1 point more than Japan at the World Cup.

11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

It would not surprise me if North Korea get more points then Japan. :/

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

You are one post away from a red card.

ANY post.

13. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Japan - Republic of Korea (5/24)

I agree, but the shame is not the score: the shame is that we shot on goal (=in the frame) ONCE IN 90 MINUTES, and with one guy who is considered by our genius coach a reserve! :mad:

14. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Seriously, why didn't Inukai just take Okada's resignation. I know youth soccer coaches who do a better job than he does.

That's right, I'm back with a vengeance. Good to see some of the other BigSoccer Japan supporter old timers are still around!

15. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

WB Watanabe. LOL where did you disappear to?

16. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I'm finishing up my PhD in Sport Management, the research and classes eat up a lot of my time. That said, I can now do even more hard core statistical analysis on soccer (and have read literally thousand's of pages worth of academic articles on sport).

It's good to be back, too bad Japan's form isn't very good at the moment. I'm planning to write a technical paper trying to analyze how bad Okada is.

17. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Oh that sounds real good.
    As for your analysis on how bad Okada is, you don't really need to analyse Okada in depth, just simply put, "look at him, he looks like a failure already" xD

18. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Hope you can get it done in the next week. ;)

19. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I'll send it to every J League club with the Headline: Attention, Do not Hire stupid Nobita-kun lookalike!

20. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

:D Go for the Doraemon-type! Way to go!

21. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

ha ha ha!

Also, what the hell happened to Big Soccer, there are like 18 million ads on each page. Now I am tempted to buy a Japan Matsui Jersey (8 is my lucky number).

22. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I know I am coming into this reasonably late, but I have been really busy! After watching the game, the same thoughts popped into my head as have before in past Japan games.

Where is plan B?

Japan can play well. It is a team that has been together for a while, and has, at moments, done really well. But, where is the extra gear?

Okada seems to be trying to turn the team into a bunch of robots! What little creativity the team has has been sucked out of them! As soon as the opposition gets a handle on the Japanese, they just dont have the gumption to switch to something else. The standard answer at the moment from the Japanese is to try the same again, and again!

also, where is Japan going to get a midfield general from? It is something the team is sorely lacking. Ireland had Roy Keane, Portugal has Ronaldo, England had Beckham, and has Lampard and Gerrard who can do a job in the heart of the midfield.

Japan just dont have someone who can grab a game and shake it up! Ronaldo can weave his magic. Argentina has Messi, Rooney is both willing AND able to run through a mountain for the team, the list goes on! I just dont see someone on the Japanese team who can step up, and grab a game, and shake it up in the blink of an eye. Morimoto and Honda maybe, but they still have a long way to go before they could do that. I like Morimoto as a possible in the future. Especially if past rumours are true, and Ferguson is interested in him! Heck, it worked for Park. And looked what happened to to him and the Koreans...

That is also something else. The Koreans have been making big developments in leaps and bounds recently. The K League clubs in the Asia Champions League are well matched with their J League rivals. Also, the Koreans have more players at better placed clubs in Europe. Again, look at Park. His work ethic and skill are turning him into a go to guy for Ferguson at United.

Does this speak of something far deeper than just Okada not being the right man to lead Japan into international competition?

And why does Japan have to have someone who looks like a slightly creepy teacher is its manager!

23. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Because this guys predecessor had unfortunately suffered from a stroke while watching an EPL match at his home. JFA decided that'll they'd go 12 years back in time by rehiring this guy, maybe he was cheaper...

24. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Devil 78, ideally our midfield's leader is Honda. However, for various reasons, it is still not working at 100%.