2009 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Redknapp11, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Mbryer07

Mbryer07 New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    So you're telling me that the Glazer's and the like couldn't do it if they truly loved the game in the USA. The issue is they'd rather own EPL teams than emphasize the game in the USA.

I don't think it'll happen becuase honestly right now I don't see another Lamar Hunt in our country. I mean maybe Drew Carey if he were worth Billions but hes not so I just don't see it. But thats where it'd have to come from becuase as you said corporate sponsorship is highly unlikely due to the current state of the tournament.

2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can truly love the game in the US without watching or caring about a single US Open Cup match.

3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No; the issue is that owning an EPL team is an investment and funding a U.S. Open Cup prize endowment is a gift.

Malcolm Glazer's net worth is between $2 and $2.5 billion.

If he spends $100 million on a prize fund for the U.S. Open Cup, his net worth declines by 4-5%, which even for a billionaire is significant.

If he spends $1.5 billion of his own and others' money on a leveraged buyout of Manchester United, he is left with an asset worth $1.5 billion; it's just a little bit more illiquid than it was.

It's the difference between investing money in soccer and giving money away.