2009 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Redknapp11, Aug 4, 2008.

1. edi1984

edi1984 New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    This is going to be the best US Open. I wish it had more attention, more games televised. It would be good to have a USL team on the Champions league 2010-11...

2. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The format of the 2010/11 CCL has yet to be announced and there have been rumors (and they're just rumors at this point) that the U.S. might lose one of their 4 spots in the tournament. Which, one would think they would drop the Open Cup winner from that current group of four -- not that it would make sense, but it would just be another example of the Open Cup getting sh|t on.

Which is crap in my opinion. If you have a CHAMPIONS league ... and you only get three spots (let's assume they do drop it to 3), it makes perfect sense to send: (1) MLS Cup champion (2) Supporter's Shield winner (3) Open Cup champion -- none of this runner-up crap. ESPECIALLY the runner-up in MLS Cup. I mean, you really want the RED BULLS representing the U.S. in the Champions League after being the runner-up in MLS Cup?

3. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levesque scoring was awesome.

5. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Yes it was.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See...you need heroes and villains.

Occasionally you get the best of the villain and occasionally he gets you. That's what makes it fun.

7. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Carlos Ruiz faded into history, because Sounders fans were more than ready to hate on him this year after his 2007 USOC Qwest 'performance.'

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way things are going with the Aztex this year, we're only developing one solid villain -- the refs.

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential semifinal games have been posted:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_15073290.html

Look real closely at that list of stadiums for the semifinals.
    It's possible that we'll go through the entire USOC this year without a single game at an MLS stadium. Not one single game!

That's terrible.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it terrible?

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not just the Aztex. That's the entire USL. Seriously, the officiating is so bad this year that it's made me contemplate not even going to the games. The past few years have been bad, but this year is just plain ridiculous.

12. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City Dave, officiating should not make you feel like this about the games. I feel the same way about the NBA, the difference is not only do I not go to games any longer I have stopped watching the NBA.

13. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, you're saying that I shouldn't feel this way? And then you go on to say that you pretty much did the exact same thing. :confused:

I mean, you're right, good officiating shouldn't make me feel this way. But that's the problem. It's not good. I'm still not sure what you were trying to tell me through your post though.

14. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You understood my poorly worded post. Officiating should not interfere with the game, just ensure that it is competition is fair.

It is a shame when the officiating makes the games unwatchable. US clubs soccer needs to keep all of their fans ... that is what I really meant. The NBA is not impacted by my rebellion. I think that the NFL does it best with their officiating, maybe the USL/MLS should look into their process improvement programs for their officials.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's saying, "in a perfect world, it shouldn't be this way," not that you, yourself, shouldn't let officiating ruin your enjoyment of the game.

16. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PDX-SEA set a new US/domestic record for combined smokebombs by two supporters groups :D

17. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fukin HELL. YOU GO BHOYS.

I'm partial to the PDX but respect to Seattle as well for a great away support and plenty of smoke.

Methinks the U.S will soon have a "proper" derby on it's hands come 2011, even though there will be nothing "proper" about it fo sure. ;)

18. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh... thanks, I get it now. Sometimes I'm slow. I blame it on getting old. My wife just says that I'm stupid.

19. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to like the NW fans... have a complete rundown of the Open Q-Finals on my site

20. edi1984

edi1984 New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico

Totatly agree, runner-up is crap. Its ridiculous that they would even think of killing US Open Cup. This is the competition that would give experience to teams in "lower" levels of the pyramid (by lower I mean less $$).

21. edi1984

edi1984 New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    NY RED BULL is CRAP... forgot to mention that

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Certainly looks like the Dynamo are playing to win the USOC this year.

At this point, I wouldn't bet against them.

How cool would a Dynamo-Rhinos final with Pat Onstad in goal be given that it's the 10-year anniversary of Onstad and the Rhinos winning the USOC?

Also, Dom is looking to pad his resume to help make the case to be the next US National Team coach and while no one was ever hired to that job because they won the USOC, the more trophies he can claim to have won, the better his case.

23. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm just pleased the 2 MLS teams won their matches against the USL sides. After the round 3 meltdown particularly of my beloved FIRE that is such a relief that the semi's are 3 MLS and just 1 stupid lame boring USL. Hopefully all-MLS final as it should be.

24. Mbryer07

Mbryer07 New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Onstad is certainly still a very well liked figure for any true Rhinos fan. And I'd certainly Welcome that final as it would mean we'd finally beaten DC United.

25. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree. A few upsets are generally good for the USOC, but large scale losses of MLS teams to lower teams actually make the USOC seem less important since it suggests that teams are taking it seriously.

A 3:1 mix of MLS to USL teams for the semi-finals is actually pretty good -- still with an underdog around, but with MLS asserting itself.