2009 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Redknapp11, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    The Cup won't even be 2 months from it's final match, when the 2009 process starts. South Florida has to be the worst and most bizarre set up amongst all of the other regional qualifiers. The process starts with the Copa Lowe's in November and then into Copa Latina qualifiers at the end of the year.

With the above information being what it is, the FESL has awarded three teams from the 2008 season a berth into the 2009 regional qualifiers which start up in November of '08. The Space Coast Strikers, Palmeiras F.C. & Palm Beach A.S.C. have all been granted berths into the 2009 US Open Cup.

Palmeiras F.C. is full of players out of college and from the area, so they will have a complete team to field. The interesting process will be seeing how the other two clubs work out. With both teams fielding college based players, it will be interesting to see how and when the roster's will be frozen during the qualification process.

2. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What reason do we have to think that the Copa Latina will actually participate in Open Cup qualifying?

In 2008, they SAID they were going to submit their winner to the tournament, but never bothered to file the paperwork. I'm not even sure they had any intention of participating.

Don't get me wrong, if they DID...it would be great. But I was really disappointed when they bailed on the Florida tournament.

Another sour taste from last year is that I tried to do a story about the tournament, since we thought this could be a great addition to Open Cup qualifying, and they never called me back or replied to any emails. Never. And I kid you not, I probably made about a dozen phone calls, leaving messages with various people...each time, assurred that the person in charge would call me back. Never happened.

3. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

My bad for the late reply... totally forgot I wrote something about the '09 Open Cup.

As for the folks who run the Copa Latina... couldn't agree with you more. It's truly ashame that a tournament as well supported and funded as the Copa could be run so in the dark. Most teams are in the Copa to win the cup but that's it... no one has the desire or the funds to continue their run any further then winning the cup in Miami.

I've been trying for years to get the folks associated with Copa Latina to make the process easier or in the very least a tournament that isn't based around Dade/Broward country teams. It's bad enough you have to travel down to Miami when you're in my neck of the woods (St. Lucie County 2 hours north) but now it's mandatory to change your club name to one that represents a nation... plus you can't have a duplicate nation either. If we do send a team or two into the Copa Latina...I'm going to make sure we represent one of the more less represented nations such as Iceland or Cyprus... amazing what a joke the process has become down here in South Florida.

Fingers crossed that once the FESL makes the jump from the AAU to USASA that there will be another qualifier based in St. Lucie... and we'd be happy to return your phone calls. :cool:

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2009 eh?

We've heard lots of rumbling about MLS looking at ways to ease up on scheduling congestion. Might they change their USOC participation procedure again?

It's possible that MLS will take the month of July off, and have their teams play in other tournaments like the USOC and Superliga during that condensed timeframe.

Another possibility is that MLS won't send all their teams to the USOC. It might be something like teams #1-4 going to the Superliga, and teams #5-14 going to the USOC. (Not saying it'll happen, just saying it's a possibility.)

5. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I hope not.

Superliga is nothing but a way for SUM and the Mexican teams to flex their pimp hand.

SUM only cares about making money for SUM. That's why MLS teams don't even receive half of the TV money generated by the league!

USOC > Superliga

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    You can't mix apples and oranges here. USOC does not equal Superliga. Superliga is that crap tourney with the FMF clubs. The US Open Cup is our FA Cup and sadly Garber hasn't treated it with the respect it deserves.

They should just stop with the crap Superliga & just concentrate on the two things that makes US Soccer great domestically and to improve internationally. The US Open Cup & the new CONCACAF Champions League. Superliga should be thrown away.

The only reason the TV revenues are so great is because it's on Telefutura/Univision and the Spanish viewers are watching.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd much rather the bottom MLS teams go to Superliga or it goes away and the top MLS teams go to the US Open Cup.
    Combining MLS, USL-1, USL-2, PDL, and USASA, about how many different teams have a chance at qualifying for the US Open Cup?

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I wonder how MLS will qualify teams for the cup next year. Really, they should just invite the top 8 teams rather than waste any time playing qualifiers. Although it's too bad the OC doesn't invite all 14 American MLS teams, that would be the best option.

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agreed, the Superliga needs to go away.

in order of importance:
    1. MLS - the league is the bread and butter.
    2. CONCACAF champs lg
    3. USOC

i'd love to see the structure of the cup change to include every professional club, just as it does in the FA Cup in England.

as soon as eastern pa draw is set up, i'll get the info up here.

10. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    A little 2009 Open Cup Info...

Florida -- Copa Latina will again use their tournament as the qualification process to enter regional group 3. History is going to repeat it'self as the teams entering are all but carbon copies of years past. No one will be going through via the Copa, including the FESL. The FESL will be entering clubs inconjunction with the USASA as the FESL is expected to move away from their current AAU status. Group 3 Regionals will be in Jacksonville this season, Patton Park will be hosting the festivites. As of now, one FESL team will infact be entering the tournament, the Open Cup darlings themselves, Jacksonville L.I.P.F.C. / DS United.

As of now the regional qualifiers are set be hosted as such :

Four Regional Sites --

LaGrangeville, N.Y.
    Stringham Park*

Jacksonville, Fla.
    Patton Park*

San Bernardino, Calif.
    San Bernardino Soccer Complex

Lawrence, Ind.
    Lawrence Soccer Park

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Eastern Pa just had their draw and play starts on November 2nd.

Quarter Finals
    11/2/08

A1 UGH - MAJORS
    A2 DANUBIA

B1 KEYSTONE PRIDE
    B2 UKRAINIANS

C1 PA RUSH
    C2 PHOENIX MAJOR

D1 HUNTER
    D2 VE MAJORS

Semi-Finals
    11/16/08

E: Game A Winner vs Game B Winner
    F: Game C Winner vs Game D Winner

Finals
    12/7/08

Game E Winner vs Game F Winner

Will UGH be able to go for a repeat? Will the Ukies win it for the 3rd time in 4 years? Or will Phoenix match their cup form with their league form and take their first Open Cup?

12. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the regular season is over for MLS, we can look at a possible way that the MLS teams will line up for the USOC next year. Heavy emphasis on the word "possible", however, because there have been rumors floating around that MLS might look at some schedule changes next year, including not only the league, but also Superliga, USOC, and everything else. So if MLS completely changes the way their teams participate in the USOC, this is a hypothetical look at nothing.

But, if MLS were to keep the same qualification set-up that they used this year, next year's qualification/play-in games might look something like this:

1st round
    Seattle vs Dallas
    San Jose vs LA Galaxy

2nd round
    Seattle/Dallas winner vs Colorado
    San Jose/LA winner vs DC United

3rd round
    SJ/LA/DC winner vs Real Salt Lake
    SEA/DAL/COL winner vs New York Red Bulls

2 winners advance to play the usual minor league sides in the USOC, along with CLB, HOU, CHI, NE, CHV, and KC.

Of course, MLS might take a look at geographical considerations too, and put NY and DC in the same bracket, and RSL and the Rapids in the same bracket.

But it's all just speculation at this point. If MLS decides to change how they enter the USOC next year, we may not hear about it until February or so.

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agh, the crisp air and falling leaves means one thing to the clubs in eastern pa: cup season.
    can't wait to travel down and enjoy the first round of the open.

will post results as soon as they're known.

for info on some of the teams, go to:
    www.unitedsoccerleague.us

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Phoenix 1, PA Rush 0

VE Majors 1, Hunter 0

UGH Majors 5, Danubia 0

16. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ukies 3 - keystone pride 0

Eastern PA Semifinals
    Ukies vs UGH
    Phoenix vs VE

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    www.usopencup.com is incorrect.
    Phoenix won their match, not PA Rush as stated. (I know, I scored the goal)

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure it wasn't an own goal? :D

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    trust me, i'm not amongst the goals that often, so when I am, I am certain.

20. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bavarian Wins Wisconsin Title

Bavarian Wins Wisconsin Title
    Milwaukee club will play in USASA Region II tourney next spring.
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/usopen/message/1117

Bavarian SC took the first step towards claiming its sixth U.S. Open Cup
    berth, beating the visiting Milwaukee Kickers 3-0 in the Wisconsin final
    on the night of Tuesday, October 28th in Milwaukee. Goals were scored by
    Blair Kohlmeyer in the first half and Brian Doherty had two goals in the
    second half.

It was the second straight year the teams met in the state final; last
    fall, Bavarian won 3-1. The win gives Bavarian a berth in next spring's
    U.S. Adult Soccer Association Region II tournament.

Bavarian Soccer Club Information:

* Club URL: http://www.bavarian soccerclub. com/index. php
    * Bavarian Soccer Park Map URL: http://tinyurl. com/Map-to- Bavarian- Soccer-Club
    * Address: 700 West Lexington Boulevard, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53217

Milwaukee Kickers Soccer Club: http://www.mksc. org/

21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    VE warmed up with a 4-1 Amateur Cup win this weekend.
    UGH advanced with a 2-0 amateur cup win.
    phoenix beat the ukranians 6-1 in the amateur cup.

November 16th:
    PA East Semi-Finals

Ukies host UGH
    Phoenix host VE

22. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait. Didn't all 8 playoff teams make it into the USOC proper in 2008? This scenario confuses me.

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom 2 playoff teams had to go through qualification.

24. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Correct. So that means KC & NY will wait for all the MLS clubs to go thru qualifying and they will be the last line of the brackets before two sides takes the last spots in the 3rd round for 2009.

I'm hoping that these MLS Cup Qualifiers will end and everyone can go in automatically as a pro side from MLS to USL-1 to USL-2.

25. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I can now say I've actually learned something from BigSoccer. :)