2009 Trialists

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nivla, Jan 27, 2009.

1. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think we had a trialist thread last year when we saw players from ever corner of the world. I don't remember any of it really materialized, but it will be fun to track them for this season too. Does anyone know any of these players?

According to Centerline, we have:

Ancil Farrier - Trinidadian defender who went to Southern Connecticut State

Will Beague - Forward from Algonquin College.

Warren Ukah - Forward who played with the Atlanta Silverbacks in the USL-1 last year. Had no goals in two games, but had five goals each of the two previous seasons.

San Reynolds - Goalkeeper who was with Chivas USA last year.

Andrew Weber - No, not the award-winning composer, but the goalkeeper who was on the books of the Montreal Impact last year, and basically spent the season backing up Matt Jordan. Had a cup of coffee with D.C. United a few years ago.

Matt Watson - English forward who played in the USL-1 last year with the Carolina Railhawks. Scored one goal in 25 games.

Alfonso Montagalvan - Midfielder from UCSB, who hails from nearby Gilroy. Scored four goals in 22 matches this past season.

Jesus Flores - 21-year-old Mexican midfielder who was with Hungarian side F.C. Tatabanya last year. Yes, bizarre. Even more bizarre is that Tatabanya’s manager is none other than Octavio Zambrano, who once managed the L.A. Galaxy and the MetroStars.

Matt Murphy - Cal-Irvine midfielder/forward who had 11 goals and eight assists last season.

2. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Have only seen Warren Ukah play. He looked sort of fruitless when I saw him, I think two years ago. Sort of like Kamara in that way.

We will probably have an El Salvadorian trialist sometime this week, who I am very familiar with. I'll tell you more about this guy if he does indeed get a trial.

3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a little bit intriguing, as they say "on paper." Young and yet played abroad, which may translate to a mature 21 emotionally and showing he's devoted to a soccer career. Played in Europe which shows he might transition to an MLS playing style well while still having some of that Mexican technical ability. He may want to be located closer to home. Perhaps still young enough for our coaches to bring him along over 1-2 years?

It sure seems from last year's group of players where we look for someone to bring along that Somma has stuck and will be a bona fide member of our team this year.

sko16... El Salvadoran player plays what position?

4. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
  5. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Striker, but he can also play attacking midfielder. I think his prospects of joining might have been hurt by the Quakes signing Quincy.

6. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. So Quincy is really signed and not merely drafted and in camp?

8. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    ??Is this linkable? Or something you know but can't "show"? (If linkable, I'll go update the roster thread right away.)

9. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to TheBaySoccer, both Quincy and Ring are not signed.

10. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks....I think that's good. They'll have to work hard and earn a place.

11. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Oops, I guess Quincy hasn't signed. Maybe my friend will get a chance after all. No links sorry. This forward will be playing for El Salvador against Peru next Friday I believe.

12. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Guess it's not Arturo then. :p

13. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha.

TheBaySoccer seems to go through a lot of editing issues too. I first saw the story about the first training session, it said they were signed. They it was completely off the site. Then back on with only the interviews working. Then today I look and the article has been tweaked, saying the draft picks werent signed.....weird.

14. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
  16. Thunder

Thunder Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Alameda
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow, that other guy is 5'1. Maybe we're not looking at him because they simply couldn't see him.

17. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D Made my day!

18. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine too :)

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    And to add insult to injury, his wiki page says:

"This biographical article related to Mexican Association football is a stub."

20. Sokker4Life

Sokker4Life New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The El Salvadorian midfielder is going to LA on Monday to try and earn a spot on the El Salvadorian National Team for the match against Peru and will be gone for most of this coming week.

21. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I posted this in the Roster Thread, but thought it would fit here as well.

Quakes notes: Progress on a stadium? (down at the bottom).

These are the trialists who made it through the tryouts and into camp:

Kenichi Nishihara (D) (Foothill College, Japanese?)
    Ricky Vargas (M) (Holy Names University, local)
    Shintaro Harada (D) (USL 2, Crystal Palace Baltimore, Japanese?)

Kenichi had 4 goals and nine assists for Foothill last season! Ricky mad the California Pacific Conference All-conference First Team, and is listed as 6'2" or 6'3"! Shintaro is 28 years of age, has several years of experience in the J-League, and made the USL Second Division All-League First-Team last year! Diamonds in the Rough?

22. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You may remove those question marks after the Japanese names if you wish.

23. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    While very funny, the question marks have to do with citizenship as dealt with in the Roster Thread. Shintaro Harada has a J-league background, so Japanese yes, but greencard? Kenichi Nishihara played at Foothill, so I'm not sure about his citizenship rights. There are plenty of Asian names in the greater Bay Area, and most are US born citizen. My family included.:cool:

24. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I had checked for both on google. The Palo Alto paper said that Nishihara was from Fukuoka, i.e., Japan born, a Japanese national. Likewise Harada is a Japanese national, so neither of them are JA's. If we are trying to find out whether they are international player candidates or green-card holders, or even US citizens, that's another question.

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Wow, with players of this magnitude we should win the cup no problem.