2009 MLS Play-in

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by WTAMUCrew, Mar 25, 2009.

1. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see that the USOC doesn't get much love on the Big Soccer forums so I thought I might throw out a little to the March Madness of soccer.

With matchups set to begin April 7 at the HDC. You can check out the schedule on USOpenCup.com and check out the progress of the lower divisions.

Outside of the MLS regular season and playoffs, the USOC is my personal favorite tournament and is always fun to follow. So if you have predictions for the upcoming play-in games or just want to comment on the USOC (for/against) or whatever thoughts you might have. I'll post the results as they come.

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you might want to check out the sticky "2009 US Open Cup" thread, there's discussion on that going on there

3. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started to read that thread, but didn't get too far before I started this one. I guess I should be a little more thorough. Thanks for the heads up.

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes me wonder if we have enough traffic to warrant separate threads. Those of us that are regulars here check it often enough and don't mind scanning through several pages to find out what all's been talked about.

But as MLS and the USL grows, and more USASA teams are entered, maybe it's time for separate threads. Something like

Open Cup 2009 (general discussion)
    Open Cup 2009 - USASA qualifying
    Open Cup 2009 - USL qualifying
    Open Cup 2009 - MLS qualifying

What do y'all think?

...additional point: Last year's Open Cup thread hit 541. I think generally they try to keep threads to 400. The 2007 thread just topped 400.

5. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would helpful to seperate the threads like you were saying. I am fairly new here and am still getting used to the norms of Big Soccer. On most other forums that I have been apart of, threads seem to be more focused. I can go either way, but like I said it was just my lack of experience in knowing how things are done around here.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha!

I'm pretty sure focus is the one thing you won't find here.

Welcome!

7. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That becomes more and more apparent.

Thanks for the welcome.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on which forum you're in, I sometimes think there are people that take pride in dragging a discussion off topic within a post or two of the thread starter.:)

9. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen that alot already. Just cause the title says one thing it doesn't mean thats what their talking about on the inside. Kind of like this one:).

Quick question: Posting on the other teams boards. I realize that trash talking should be kept to the rivalries section, but how is posting on other teams boards viewed?

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've been able to tell, it varies from board to board. And what team you're a fan of. I've seen cases where even the most innocuous statement by a Dallas fan on the Houston board (and vice versa) has blown up very quickly.

Not sure where (if anywhere) a Crew fan would get snapped at, though.

I comment on quite a few boards, and haven't had any issues that I can remember. But I'm not a hard-core supporter of any particular MLS team.

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you that the DC boards do not tolerate that crap at all. Newcastle is not really fond of it either, but a bit more tolerant as long as your not a jagoff and trolling. And I wish the Pittsburgh trolls would be banned from the Cleveland forum. Can't really speak for the other boards because I don't go there too often.

Open discussion is pretty much permitted everywhere as far as I know. Oh, and if you want to keep your sanity, don't venture into the CONCACAF forum.

12. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice. So basically I should stay off of the other boards if I have had to much to drink.

13. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    silentounce, a quick question about your City Stars. Are you aware of any sort of working agreement between the Crew and Cleveland? There was a brief mention of this on the Columbus board but no one really had an answer. Its seems that it would be advantageous for both clubs through loans and even preseason friendlies and the such given the proximity of the teams.

14. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't know of anything official. But we've had the occasional scrimmage with them and quite a few of our players have played for their reserve side. They've also acquired a few of our players on a long term basis as well. So yeah, the advantageous things you mention have gone on with us in the past. I'm not sure if our move up to the USL1 will effect any of that. The USL and MLS don't seem to have a perfectly friendly relationship.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on topic, the first MLS play-in is this evening. Colorado won the play-in last year, and beat the Galaxy this past weekend in Carson.

I can't decide if I care anything about this game, with the level of interest that MLS brings to these games. I fully expect to see both teams run out as many as the bench players as they can, and whatever happens, happens.

OK, I guess I don't care. Partly because I have no horse in this race. Partly because of how many MLS teams don't care.

16. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will it be televised anywhere, or on the radio at least? Or is it being completely swept under the rug like a scrimmage?

Hmm... do DirectKick viewers get Open Cup matches?

I like how mlsnet.com has it listed in the Global tab of its Match Center. :rolleyes:

It's cool that they link to usopencup.com I wonder if the people at MLS know that that's not the official site. :D

Btw, thank you guys from over there for always doing an excellent job. Did MLS ask permission to link to you?

17. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall them doing that last year (though maybe they did?).
    Either way, it is indeed cool.

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Re: 2009 MLS Play-in [R]

The Rapids & the Galaxy went to the Penalty shootout & it looks like LA will not be apart of the US Open Cup again for 2009. 4-2 Rapids after regulation & Extra Time was 0-0.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Play in games are pointless. Either all MLS teams should qualify automatically for the tournament (ideally entering in a big round of 32 like in 2000-01), or only the top 8 should get in. The former is the better option by far. You could even have lower league teams host doubleheaders.

20. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. All the MLS teams should get in. No play-in games.

21. Cornchops

Cornchops New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Essentially, they are all in. Some just have to play a few more games against MLS opponents to start out.

22. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it that D.C. United has to have a play in to make the USOC? How silly is it that the defending champions are not an automatic invite? Had the Battery won in D.C. last August they should also have been an automatic. Further, had the Battery won the 2008 USOC then they should have been provided the opportunity to wait until the round where the MLS teams participate. Winning should provide some privileges!

23. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    What time is the FC Dallas @ DC United play-in game scheduled to kickoff on Wednesday, 22 April?

24. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you call the CONCACAF Champion's League berth?