2009 Host?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by new_skin, Aug 16, 2007.

1. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    surely several caribbean countries could host it, just as they did the cricket world cup last year

2. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably, but I think having more than two nations co-hosting is a recipe for disaster. Last year's Asian Cup was co-hosted by four nations, and the AFC chairman said that doing that was a mistake.

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is going to be a 2009 GC?

With all this posting about who will host GC-2009, I would like to know if there was any announcement that there was going to be one, or if the GC will be on a four-year basis from here on. I beleive that Copa America was going to an every-four-year format.

The Fifa Confederations Cup runs June 14-29, 2009 (and there are two WCQ dates right before that on June 6 and 10). That leaves either July-August or January-February for a 2009 GC. And I think that by now, they would have said something for a Jan-Feb tourney. Another option would be to put it in even years, starting Jan-Feb 2010.

4. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    Re: There is going to be a 2009 GC?

How about making sure that the Gold Cup and Copa America are not in the same year. If there's any way of making that happen that would be ideal. This way the US can send their top squad to both.

5. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: There is going to be a 2009 GC?

They haven't announced anything so wouln't we assume that the norm woul dbe maintained and that therefore there would be a 2009 tournament.

In 2005, they had the tournamnet in July; it would probably be safe to assume that they would for 2009 have the same schedule as both tournaments would be around World Cup qualifying. Also, no CONCACAF qualifying dates are in July 2009. In regards to the Confederations Cup in June 2009 USA qualified for that as the 2007 Gold Cup champions.

6. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    The USA gets it because no where else in CONCACAF can you get so many people from so many different countries living in one place. At most only a few hundred Americans would go if it was held in another country. The same goes for Canadians. At some point the whole country of Mexico, Cuba, and Haiti will be living in the USA. Thousands of people have moved to America from those countries illegally and legally. That is why the Orange Bowl gets packed when Cuba and Haiti play in Miami. If it is held in Haiti you won't see large crowds of Americans and Mexicans.

7. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the team was one West Indies team, not the seven nations that hosted.

Costa Rica has plans to build a new National Stadium in 2010, so maybe after that is built they will have a host bid. Have Panama build/renovate a stadium and that would be a sweet bid.

8. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    YOu might be right, but see my above post.

9. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Now that Canada has two true football Stadiums as well as a natural grass surface in Edmonton, I say let Canada host it in 2009. They deserve a chance just like everyone else. Also if it's back in the USA then that's fine, but I think it's time for CONCACAF to rotate the tourny.

10. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I think my post at the top of the page explains why things are the way they are. Miami has a large population of people from Haiti and Cuba. There are Mexicans living all over the USA. The same goes for the rest of the Central American countries. On top of that there are some US soccer fans in this country too. Every nation gets a home game if the play the games in the correct city. You won't get that in any other CONCACAF nation.

11. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Sorry Bro, but attitudes like this are what leaves CONCACAF looking like a Mickey Mouse Confederation.

Mexico's home is Estadio Azteca
    Costa Rica's home is Saprissa
    Honduras' home is Sand Pedro Sula

How can these teams play "Home" games if the tournament is held in the US?

Just because the US has no real home field advantage, doesn't mean everyone else should have to suffer and not get the chance to host our federations championship.

I'm sure the African Cup of Nations would make much more money if it was hosted permanently by Egypt but they have a little more integrity and realize that whats best for the federation is for different countries to host the tournament and gain exposure for their countries and maybe just maybe gain a spot in the confeds cup.

12. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I wouldn't mind seeing it moved around too, but I don't think it will happen. Also outside of USA, Mexico, Costa Rica and a few others, CONCACAF sort of is a Micky Mouse confederation. Not too many of the 40+ nations are soccer hot beds like in Europe. Most nations are more interested in hockey, football, or cricket.

13. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Finally someone gets it.

Only Costa Rica and El Salvador(maybe Honduras) have the passion that South Americans or Europeans have. But the majority of CONCACAF nations play the game as their first sport. Even in countries like Panama, Belize, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico where it's not number one, it's still a major sport and everyone gets behind the national team at game time.

The only countries where most of the population are indifferent or even hostile to the sport are the Dominican Republic, Canada, the US, the Bahamas, and the US Virgin Islands(the last two having a heavy American influence.) The real problem is that unlike Europe and CONMEBOL, the level of play outside of the top teams isn't good and most fans won't come out to support anyone but the home team.

14. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    this tourney must be played in central america,because over there the central americans hate the mexican team so there will be passion to defeat the mexican team,and is better a 5 or 10,000 stadium packed with real futbol fans (this way mexico or usa has to play at the top of their game to win) rather than a USA 40,000+ (not filled) STADIUM with boring people who doesnt have the passion for the game, concacaf must choose between money or improve the tourney,so far this tourney has been a shame for the whole confederation,and thats a fact. :cool:

15. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    They hate the nads too(probably more.) The real fans in Central America are very different from the ones in the US.

16. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because some fans in the US don't support teams during a game the same way as you doesn't mean they don't have "passion for the game." A person CAN be boring and still have passion. And what happens in your example if Mexico loses early? In fact, you're assuming that since Mexico and the US will have a harder time away in CA then they might lose early. Who's going to watch the matches that remain?

17. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

well the reality is that there is no passion for the game in usa,im only saying the truth, and if mexico losses early then we deserved it,im not afraid of it, are you? ,this will force mexico to play it with everything we have the next time and so on,this will improve the futbol level of the region,the other nations will see that they too have a chance of winning it and will try harder to do it, and yeah if mexico or usa loses early there will be less people watching it but the level of the game will improve, and concacaf will grow up faster, but the people seems to be happy the way concacaf is.well im tired of the south americans always making fun of us, we are the only ones who goes over there to play against them, i want more teams helping mexico ,concacaf must grow and fix his crappy tourney for the sake of the confederation, or eliminate it.so far concacaf is crap and thats a cruel fact. :cool: itis simple concacaf must choose between money or futbol.

18. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    What you just said is the reason things are unfortunately the way they are. Who is going to go to the games in the other countries when the host nation isn't playing? The tournament would probably make less money and it takes money to keep tournaments like this alive.

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The ones w/ a "passion" for the game.

They're so passionate that they will stay at home. :rolleyes:

"Passion", btw, is the lamest argument as to why a nation should host a tournament. It should come down to organizational skills, infrastructure to support a tournament, corporate connections to be able to finance the deal, ability to sell tickets, etc.

In short, you've got to earn it.

The reason why the tournament was disbanded in the 1960's is that the hosts -- while "passionate" -- couldn't put on a tournament without losing their shirts.

How is that helpful to anybody?

20. tanbald

tanbald New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Any news about the MEN'S CONCACAF GOLD CUP 2009 host country? If the CONCACAF region want to improve their football, the people in charge should advertise and promot their prime tournament (Gold Cup) as early and as efficient as possible. Look at Europe, they promoted their EURO 2 to 3 years before. Here, in the CONCACAF region the next GOLD CUP is 8 months away and no host nation has been mentioned? How can people become interested in such tournaments? Which is the host country for the GOLD CUP JULY 2009?

21. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    The fact that tickets for a football match have to be "advertised" says it all. The Euros could attract huge crowds without one Nike commercial.

22. vanbasten9 redded

Nov 13, 2008
    Club:
    Newark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think the CA might never host the gold cup because of nica. the only country that doesnt play football so host it in the CA would be wierd because nica is in the middle of honduras adn costa rica.

23. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Every Central American country plays it, it just isn't big there. It isn't big in Belize either, nor in Panama until recently. The best CA option would be something along the lines of Panama-Costa Rica, El Salvador-Honduras, Honduras-Guatemala, etc.

24. vanbasten9 redded

Nov 13, 2008
    Club:
    Newark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we need everyone except nica but there in the way.

25. tanbald

tanbald New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Hi people and all football fans. It seems that the coming MEN'S CONCACAF GOLD CUP is going to be held in July 2009 between the 3rd and 26th. It also seems that the host nation is going to be the USA. I would like some help as regards where??? in the USA. USA is so big. Anyone can spacify in which stat this blessed tournament is going to be held? I need to prepare because I live in Europe and I want to come and watch some games. Please fans help me out. Many thanks.:)