2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by MoRado, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Re: 2009-2010 Concacaf Champions League

My point is that they should matter; it should be a simple enough matter to make sure that you don't get two teams in the same league hitting each other in the preliminaries; they've made sure that you can't have two MSL teams playing each other in the preliminaries, though from different countries.

It just seems unfortunate for the long-term success of the Champions League that you've got two of the strongest non-Mexican teams playing each other in a preliminary round. The same two teams that finished number 1 and 2 last season in the USL (both ahead of number 3 Montreal Impact which made the quarter-finals last year).

As for Vancouver not qualifying yet ... well not mathematically ... but be serious; Montreal would have to suffer a worse defeat at home than they have in almost 20 years for Vancouver to fail to qualify ... and Toronto is a team that doesn't score many goals. The odds that Vancouver won't qualify are miniscule.

2. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

they are not rewarded the spots because of the league they play in

so its not the same as if two mexican teams played in

they are looked at as teams from two difference countries, which they are

there is nothing wrong with the draw

3. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto

To put this in perspective, according to Wikipedia, Montreal has never lost by 4 goals at home, in 18 seasons.

And Toronto has never won by 4 goals on the road.

If it happens I'll be ecstatic ... but there's very little chance of Vancouver not qualifying. And that's before you factor in Toronto's inability to score, and Matt Jordan.

4. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saying has never with Toronto doesn't mean much considering how young the team is. One could say similar things for Seattle, couldn't they? It doesn't amount to much. Four goals is attainable. Now, if it were 6 or more that might be pushing it. But we've all seen several four goal games.

Yes, it's not likely, but it's hardly impossible. Especially, considering that Toronto WILL be trying to score that many goals if they want to continue. Most teams let off the gas once they get a decent lead, so as to not risk giving up a goal that could put their opponent back into it. This is why you don't often see high scoring games. Yet another reason that history is unreliable when it comes to predicting scorelines. I'm sure you realize this.

Winning by four during normal league or cup play is one thing. Winning by four when you know that you must in order to advance is something entirely different.

5. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders

Yeah but this isnt Santo Lagunas its Toronto FC

6. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

hmmm how will they decide who's Pan 1 and Pan 2???
    I haven't heard anything of a game between the winners of clausura 2008 and apertura 2009??

Arabe Unido: clasura 2008 champion
    Chorrillo Fc/San francisco Fc: play the final (apertura 2009) this saturday @ 4pm ..

7. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

If two different teams win the apertura and clausura then Panama 1 will be the team with the most points on aggregate from both apertura and clausura seasons.

If the same team wins the Apertura and Clausura then they are Panama 1 and Panama 2 is the runner up with the most points on aggregate from both seasons.

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  9. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama

How come islanders didn't go straight to group stage, considering they made it to the semis last Champions?

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because thems not the rules.

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

same reason Cruz Azul didn´t either despite finishing the CCL in 2nd place

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

it sucks, CA and Saprissa on the same group, group of death one more time

and if Heredia somehow manages to eliminate CA (not happening) we will have them on our same group, 2 tico teams on the same group, great job concacaf

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is my understanding that one of the teams got in because another federation dropped out and so the bonus CRC team was considered a wild card.

Something similar happened with UEFA a couple years ago, when defending champions Liverpool were granted a wild card and were paired in the group stage with Chelsea.

14. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

In Guatemala, Jalapa beat Municpal 4-1 on aggregate to win the Clausura tournament.

In Panama, San Francisco beat Chorrillo in a penalty shootout to win the apertura.

Only spot left is for Canada.

15. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US

Jalapa is Guatemala 2 and will play against Pachuca in the pre-eliminary.

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998

I am very excited to see RBNY face W. Connection in the Qualifying Round. I have already felt the MLS Season is over for the club. I hope they will use the remaining 15 matches as prep work for the CONCACAF Champions League.

17. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto

Toronto is normally trying to score goals ... most games recently have have massively outshot their opponents, and still lost, tied, or just scraped out a win. I'd be more optimisic if they had shown any ability to score.

On the other hand, the game is on Thursday evening, and then only 42-hours later on Saturday afternoon Montreal has a big league match with Vancouver, before heading to Miami to play them on Tuesday. Thursday means nothing to the Impact, they are finishing last no matter what happens in the game. Rumour has it that much of the first team will be rested; which only makes sense given they are playing 3 matches in 6 days!

And perhaps this is Toronto's only hope. And who knows ... there's always the chance that Montreal might do what has been known since the Champions League quarter-finals as "doing an Impact". :)

18. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

So if we take the worst players from the impact we have a lineup that looks something like this

------Djekanovic------
    ---Suprenant---Mayard----Sakuda
    -Donatelli--Leduc--Mayard---Deroux-
    -------Gjertsen----
    ----Byers----Gai---

Toronto FC still won't win, no way Djekanovic lets in 4 goals, and no way Vitti could even handle scoring against a USL2 calibre backline.

What's most likely to happen is what I refer to as "pulling a TFC" and choking.

19. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Cruz Azul or Herediano...it's a close one to me.

Thanks, CONCAChampions, for potentially putting two Tico teams in the same group or another group of death for us. :rolleyes:

20. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Saprissa will always be in the group of death when you consider that there has to be one Mexico team and one USA team in each group, and then Saprissa is far and away the best of the rest. So whatever group Saprissa is in will always be the group of death.

And about Herediano, they were a wild card team, get over it.

21. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Not what you think.

I neg repped some spazzo (which I will refrain from mentioning his name), he got butthurt, got his mod buddies and tried to ban me. But it only lasted for one week.:rolleyes:

22. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Heredia has no chance to beat CA, that's gonna be their first failure of the season.
    Liberia has a good team, i hope they make it to the groupstage

23. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008

Well then, welcome back.

24. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Toronto 4-1 Montreal 73rd minute. They need one more goal I think...

25. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

LOL! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto 5-1 Montreal 83rd