2008 u17 wwc - final 21 chosen

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Oct 15, 2008.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_10420228.html

ROSTER BY POSITION:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Alexa Gaul (Naperville, Ill.), Jennifer Pettigrew (Kearney, N.J.), Taylor Vancil (South Elgin, Ill.);
    DEFENDERS (6): Amber Brooks (New Hope, Pa.), Cloee Colohan (West Point, Utah), Crystal Dunn (Rockville Center, N.Y.), Alexis Harris (Plano, Texas), Rachel Quon (Lake Forrest, Ill.), Julia Roberts (Fredrick, Md.);
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Kate Bennett (Clyde Hill, Wash.), Morgan Brian (St. Simons Island, Ga.), Elizabeth Eddy (Costa Mesa, Calif.), Olivia Klei (Pleasanton, Calif.), Mandy Laddish (Lee’s Summit, Mo.), Kristie Mewis (Hanson, Mass.), Samantha Mewis (Hanson, Mass.), Erika Tymrak (Bradenton, Fla.);
    FORWARDS (4): Tani Costa (Honolulu, Hawaii), Vicki DiMartino (Massapequa Park, N.Y.), Samantha Johnson (Palmdale, Calif.), Courtney Verloo (Tualatin, Ore.).

the girls did a great job qualifying in t&t. let's hope they bring home this the first u17 wwc.

2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did Jennifer Pettigrew come from, oh she is a playing for Coach Tambi at Seton Hall next year, no wonder she made the team.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, it's not like he just snuck her on the team for recruiting purposes even though she's no good like some National Team coaches have been known to do in the past. She's on Rise magazine's top 50 list.

RISE

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand she is good, unnessary snide remarke on my part.

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    FIFA.com is a broader, alternative (to ussoccer.com) source of coverage ...

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/news/newsid=912008.html#tambi+plays+down+favourites

With all that in mind, it is not surprising that many have already installed the USA Women's U-17 team as favourites for the first-ever FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup, to be held in New Zealand in October and November. Yet coach Kaz Tambi, who has acquired a wealth of experience in women's football over the years, is taking nothing for granted.

"It's hard to say that we're the favourites here, because there's no real history in this age group," said Tambi in a recent exclusive interview with FIFA.com. "It's a very open affair. Some of the traditional countries like Germany have done very well in the European competition. And I'm sure there will be some surprises out there as well."

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    bad break for costa. it has to be hugely disappointing. the tournament starts next week.

great opportunity for brock tho, seeing as she has never played for the u17's before. she must have really shown well recently, to be able to jump over some of the other players in the pool. she's not even in the player pool! but she's supposedly fast, and she's 5'9". There are only 3 other field players on the team in that height range. the big question is what kind of skill she possesses.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_10616835.html

7. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see another Massachusetts kid join the Mewis sisters in the NT fold...

Hayley was Massachusetts Player of the Year last season for Acton-Boxboro HS. Winning a state championship in the process..

I'm sure the A-B HS coach has mixed emotions about losing her for the HS tournament..

The Mewis sisters both attend Whitman-Hanson HS(when they're not with the NT!) WH are a force this year without them, just 1 loss, I can only imagine what the team would do in the state tournament with the two of them!! I'd like to see their teammate Devin Petta get a shot on the NT stage..She's carried the team in their absence and in fact outshined them both on several occations when they're all playing...

Hopefully there will be decent coverage of this tournament....Oh who am I kidding!:eek:

8. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    This is pretty exciting for girls soccer in Mass to have 3 kids going to the tournament. Sam Mewis and Brock are both U16s too who play for rival clubs, Scorpions and Stars of Mass. Brock's Stars team won Region 1 Championship last year to advance to the Nationals while Mewis' team won it the previous year and again this year. Brock's team also won the Region 1 Premier league title with a 3-0 win over PDA this year and with a 4-0 win over PASCO last year. Brock was also the top scorer in the U15 Red Bull league this past year.

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What colleges is Hayley looking at? I would assume BC, they do a good job of keeping the stars in their area home.

10. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Does anyone know if any of these games will be televised? There seem to be no indications on the USSoccer or the FIFA sites. It is U17 and female so maybe not? I saw some of the men's U20 games though.

11. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
  12. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games are also live on Eurosport over here, although it doesn't look as if the US' first game is on. I'll keep checking.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    are there streams for those sky sports telecasts?

14. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    All over the Kiwi media about how it will be broadcast in 155 countries so it's on somewhere, just a matter of finding someone in one of those countries to stream it! I had a look around at the usual sites but couldn't find anything yet. Probably just a matter of looking hard enough, or at least smart enough! Sorry, can't be much more help.

15. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I did find this information on the FIFA website as well about watching the games...

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/livecoverage/index.html

Unfortunately nothing in the states here, although maybe their MatchCast works way better than our CrapTracker :D

I'm still looking to see if Sky Sports can be watched online anywhere.

16. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone can give me a few pointers I could probably stream it, never done it before but it couldn't be that hard, could it?

17. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    does anyone in the national team attended the Olympic?

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  19. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    legitimate question though.
    i think there is at least one player on the kiwi team who played for new zealand at the olympics.

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i thought about this.

it really depends.

for up and coming teams, it's possible.

for the good teams (u.s.a., germany, brazil), because the olympic teams are the national teams, not really - and the question was (i thought) about the uswnt.

21. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  23. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm concerned that Crystal Dunn is injured. I don't know when that happened, but she is very fast and they need speed against Japan. The other defenders could be great as well - I'm just not familiar with them.

24. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    British Eurosport are showing England-Brazil, I'm going to see if I can get the game on FIFA TV. The video from FIFA TV is a flash video so it's impossible to stream using it.

25. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0, Victoria DiMartino with the goal.