2008 U.S. Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by jeffconn, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  2. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Yea...being a fan of Boston teams...thats why i dont go to those games anymore...lol :p

3. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Jeje the sons imitates the father, now that the Islanders are in de CCL and are probably gonna be in the next one aswell, now Charleston wants to be in the CCL, typical.

4. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    wouldn't that be just great USL -1 team wins the US Open cup and the canadian cup as well.

That would just be great for soccer in North America, and maybe the embarrasment of it would actually make MLS take it seriously.

Lamar would be thrilled I am sure

5. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth be told - I'm hoping Montreal knock TFC out. It might wake up all the MLS teams but Colorado. Our management doesn't want to stray too far from the cozy confines of mediocrity.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they win so I can say I told you so to all those on the Concacaf board that were bitching that MLS gets five spots for the CCL. They were taking it as a given that TFC would win this. Wouldn't even allow the possibility that the other teams could win. HA! And I wasn't even saying that TFC would lose, I just brought up that it was possible.

7. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty much a no win there: if TFC qualifies, then "MLS got 5 spots -- they don't deserve more than any other league". If Montreal qualifies, then it's "see, even even lower division teams can beat MLS teams -- they don't deserve 4 spots". Either way, the haters make their point.

8. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    awesome

Montreal earns a spot in the concacaf championship, that is two usl teams.

will their be a third

9. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in 2008-9 -- the field is set. For 2009-10? Who knows, Seattle and Charleston will have a shot (though if Seattle wins... who knows who will represent). And of course, there's the possibility of a USL team representing Canada (again) and up to 2 Caribbean teams from the CFU (Puerto Rico and possible Bermuda if they decide to enter the CFU Club Championship).

10. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of that, wouldn't it be cool if the USOC was pushed forward a few weeks so this year's USOC winner could enter this year's Concacaf Champions League? Is there any chance of that happening?

11. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    No, the teams are already set for the CCL

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be tough because the CCL is taken into account when making the MLS schedule. Particularly you may notice that the CCL teams, as well as Toronto, were kept out of the Thursday night ESPN2 games in the weeks of CCL matchdays.

13. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I didn't necessarily mean right now, but that perhaps it would be nice to synch up some time in the future. So we could have a team that's a "current" winner in the tournament, instead of a winner from the previous year.

However....
    Ah, good point. The Superliga/CCL teams were all given major consideration when the schedule was made. I suppose it would be too much of a burden on the schedule at the end of the season if a random team were to enter the CCL on very short notice.

14. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it would be great for soccer in North America.

MLS wasn't embarrassed in 1999 when Rochester won it. Everybody survived.

If everything went according to chalk, it wouldn't be any fun, would it?

Part of us becoming a true soccer nation (or two, if you include Canada) is depth. We don't have as much as other countries.

But if a USL team wins the Open Cup once every ten years or so, that's just a start - and it's hardly the end of the world. Win 90% of the time without trying, I'd say that's pretty remarkable on one hand and it points out the paucity of quality soccer in America on the other hand.

And I would imagine Lamar would be thrilled. I am guessing he realized that things that strengthen American soccer as a whole are desirable, and not just the things that make MLS look good.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carver was being gracious. Good for him.

There IS a difference between the leagues as a whole. Whether Montreal (which is in tenth place in their league) would be competitive over 30 games in MLS, we'll never know. But in a situation like this, they did the business, and good for them.

17. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allez Montreal!

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  19. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll move the USOC match. They do it all the time.

21. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word yet on the venue for the final?

Or might it be up in the air right now depending on whether New England needs them to change the date or not?

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No word yet. I'm sure USSF is still evaluating all the info/bids/potential stuff.

23. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Either Charleston or Seattle is hosting the final. The Calendar on the US Open Cup site says so. The USL-1st Division team is the home side.

24. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think what happens in a national cup shows whether the second league is on par with the top one. Look at the FA Cup. Or the Scottish Cup. Queen of the South is not better than Celtic. Cardiff City and Portsmouth are not better than Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, or Arsenal. A PDL team could win this, and I wouldn't care about the level of play.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No official word from USSF on that.

Here's what it says on usopencup.com, which is, after all, unofficial.

Tuesday, August 26th
    All Times Eastern

U.S. Open Cup Final

Charleston Battery (USL-1) / Seattle Sounders (USL-1) Winner
    vs.
    New England Revolution (MLS) / DC United (MLS) Winner

I'm not sure how you get that the USL-1 team is definitely the host, given that not everybody adheres to that "home team first" Sean Wheelock-ism.

Might be. But there's been no official word on it yet. The semis aren't for another two weeks almost.