2008 U.S. Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by jeffconn, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to start up this new thread, as DC/Virginia on October 16 held the draw for their 2008 Open Cup qualifiers.
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/va_cup/message/57

Aegean Hawks vs. Real International
    World Bank vs. Reds United

Aegean Hawks won the DC/Virginia qualifier and also represented Region I in 2007's Open Cup, losing to Harrisburg City Islanders in the first round. Real International and World Bank also attempted to qualify last year.

As always, thanks to http://www.usopencup.com for all the info on the 2007 Cup.

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    And now it's time to discuss a future setup for the 2008 US Open Cup. :D
    I think I have found a great solution in helping out the PDL, USASA Semi Pro sides as well as all 32 Professional sides.

Now I know that everyone would like our US Open Cup to be like the FA Cup in England. Maybe we can get the best of both worlds. Using the Geographical pairings as well with a blind draw in some shape or form.

We all know that Seattle are talking about taking a sebatical for 2008 to be ready for MLS 2009. San Jose returns to MLS making it 13 American clubs, the reduction of Seattle for next season making USL-1st Division 8 American Clubs and the addition of the return of the Pittsburgh Riverhounds as well as new expansion side Real Maryland FC making the total for USL-2nd Division into 11.

Here is my idea for an improved way to create a better US Open Cup and hopefully in the future they can expand it again for the good.

Round 1 PDL has four regional conferences with two divisions each. I say the first and second best qualified clubs in all eight divisions enter after their first four regular season matches that doubles as qualifiers go against the Semi-Finalists in all four regional USASA tourneys. The match ups will be Geographical. PDL East Vs USASA Region 1, PDL Central Vs Region 2, PDL South Vs. Region 3 & PDL West Vs Region 4. 16 PDL Vs 16 USASA sides

Round 2 16 Round 1 winners will advance to round 2 facing all 11 USL-2nd Division Sides (Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Crystal Palace Baltimore, Harrisburg, New Hampshire, Pittsburgh, Real Maryland FC, Richmond, Western Mass. & Wilmington) & 5 USL-1st Division sides That finished in the final standings of 2007 from 4th to last place (California, Carolina, Charleston, Miami, Minnesota). The match ups will be thru a blind draw. In one bowl are the Round 1 Winners & in the other are the Round 2 Entrants. One ball picked in each pot will determine the matches and US Soccer can still offer bids of the clubs who want to host the matches.

Round 3 16 Round 2 winners will advance to Round 3 facing all 13 MLS sides (Chicago, Chivas-USA, Colorado, Columbus, DC United, FC Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, New England, NY, Salt Lake, San Jose) & the top three finalists of the 2007 USL-1st Division Standings (Atlanta, Portland, Rochester) . The match ups will be thru a blind draw. In one bowl are the Round 2 Winners & in the other are the Round 3 Entrants. One ball picked in each pot will determine the matches and US Soccer can still offer bids of the clubs who want to host the matches.

Round 4 All 16 Round 3 Winners will face each other in the fourth round. A blind draw will determines all the match ups in the Sweet Sixteen.

Quarterfinals All 8 Round 4 Winners will face each other in the Quarters, Blind Draw Again determines all the match ups in the Elite Eight.

Semi-Finals All 4 Quarterfinal Winners will face each other in the Semis, Blind Draw determins the match ups.

USOC Final The two Semi-Finalists will meet each other and in another thread I said US Soccer should have the final at a neutral site rotating the hosts from the different leagues. 2008 in a MLS Stadium, 2009 in a USL-1st Stadium, 2010 USL-2nd Division Stadium, and so on & so on & so on. Or if they decide to keep it as clubs in the Semis bidding to host the final, then that's fine as well.

I think this helps fix the fixture congestion and it also helps the fight for challenging the new Lamar Hunt trophy.

When Seattle does return and if there are new clubs coming, then we can discuss how to address the situation.

3. diamonotron

diamonotron Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    For a quick alert, don't forget the USOPEN list on Yahoo how had this news up on Wednesday. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/usopen/message/930 ... but USOPENCUP.COM is just great. --- I understand that they monitor this group for news so you can post/email there if you want to easily alert Josh and the gang.

4. diamonotron

diamonotron Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    The scheduled USASA Open Cup match between Real International (CSL) and Aegean Hawks (WPL) will be played on SAT, OCT 27, 2007 (this weekend), at Loriella Park in Fredericksburg, VA.

** Aegean Hawks will be HOME, and Real International will be AWAY.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/usopen/message/933

5. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an NFL standpoint, it makes more sense to hold he Pro Bowl abroad than the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is prone to being a let down, like last season, where the Pro Bowl is usually a scorefest and fairly entertaining. NFL fans would feal betrayed if the biggest event the league has was to be played outside of the country. I think it would be better to show Europe two teams filled with the best the game has to offer, rather than the two supposed best teams.

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIO17, I think 63 games is probably more than USSoccer would be willing to pay for. I like most of your set-up (USOC isn't big enough yet to really have neutral site finals)and would be glad if they did it that way, but I doubt it'll happen.

Plus, it's a little too early to say with any certainty that there's going to be 32 professional teams next year. I don't think the USL line-ups are set in stone yet.

7. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the MDCVA and Wisconsin qualifying info up on the site. Thanks to those of you who emailed them in.

Please join the yahoo group, the more people to contribute the better. Or just email us via the website -- either way.

We also have an RSS feed on the site nowadays.

The various soccer assocations/states do a pretty poor example (with a couple of exceptions) of getting qualifying info out there -- even when we email them directly and ask for it. (Who wants free publicity anyway?)

So if your local league/state has something going on -- or you stumble upon something, feel free to pass it along.

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well there won't be 32 if the California Victory doesn't get their new ownership group. Also if you haven't seen on the USL website, Pittsburgh is retruning next season and the new expansion side Real Maryland FC is coming as well.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    opencup.com has the Massachusetts qualifying posted now.

10. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I think this was rained out and will now be played this coming Saturday at 3 pm at Quincy Park in Arlington, VA.

11. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    eastern PA is starting qualifying today.
    Hunter plays the United German Hungarians.
    Phoenix (won last years amateur title) plays PA Rush (the winner of the USL league title).

13. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing...the site has been around for almost 5 years and we do everything short of beg for USASA qualifying information, and yet this is the first I've heard of this game. (Especially weird considering I'm based in Philadelphia :) )

Thanks for the info Wingtips.

14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm going to assume UGH beat Hunter, seeing as the UGH Reserves beat Hunter in the Amateur Cup last weekend 5-0.
    in the Phoenix vs Rush game, Rush came out on top, 1-0. Phoenix was the dominant team, but Rush scored on their only shot on goal in the 25th minute and were able to hold on.

15. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Good stuff, wingtips. Nice reporting.

16. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Josh digs around for an "employment application" for USOpenCup.com to give to Wingtips*

17. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watch it josh, that might imply pay. of which i believe there is none. :)

18. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be correct...I was hoping the quotes around "employment application" would imply that something was fishy. :)

Anyone have any results from the Massachusetts qualifiers this weekend?

19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is this 'USL League Title Winner' PA Rush you refer to?

I've just done some hunting around on the USL website and haven't found any team by that name. They're not in the USL-1, -2 or PDL. Is it a Y-League team?

20. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    It's called the United Soccer League, it's (in a way only US Soccer could manage) a "5th tier" league located in PA.

It has no relationship to the national United Soccer Leagues.

21. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    This USL is the United Soccer League in Philly. It's the league UGH, V-E, and Ukrainian Nats play in.

22. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! No wonder I couldn't find them in the USL website!

Thanks!

23. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thank you as well!

24. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I'll have to get confirmation that it's considered the qualifyer, but the NC State Cup is Dec 7-9 in Fayetteville at Jordan Soccer Complex.

25. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh