2008 Seat Location - Cauldron or Otherwise

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by rhymeorreason, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing the RF berm. Could be mistaken of course, but I think that's the most likely. Any idea the approximate capacity of that area?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which will last 1-2 games before they stop showing up if they are really going to enforce the no standing on the berm.

3. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. That's a group that will walk out if things don't go their way; they've certainly done it before. I hope steps are taken to make sure we don't lose that group before we can get into our own digs. As much of a pain in the arse as they are, they just bring too much energy to lose them.

4. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya see that's how they get what they want. They are willing to not go if they don't get their way. People can whine on a message board all they want but until they are willing to take action...its just whining.

5. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 12:40 today, I picked up Section 111, Row 12, seats 4-5.

Sections 109 and 111 are close to filling up. There are still plenty of good seats available in the rest of the CAB. If you're in to sitting behind the goal, the 3rd base seats will be awesome.

My main thought after walking around today is that this is going to be a dramatically different experience from Arrowhead. Even with the vast open space between the sideline and the stands, we're going to feel a lot closer to the action than we did at the 'Head.

6. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crapola....I hope there are still some decent seats available in those two sections when I get there in about an hour. My appointment was earlier today, but I couldn't get out of work that early.

7. YilmazOrhan

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have something to choose from, just don't expect an aisle seat. They don't appear to be moving more than 3-4 people through at a time.

8. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goes back to what Beech was saying. You are either willing to accept the terms of the transaction including both price and conditions, or not. That's it. The free market is pretty simple that way. If enough people do decide they can't live with the terms, and stop purchasing the product as a result, then the merchant will be forced to change the terms to sell the product. If the merchant honestly cannot find any way to change the terms profitably, then impasse is reached. And here's the thing: MLS has to date been extremely unprofitable. Revenue streams, including ticket prices, do need to rise or there simply is no future. That means creating demand and new revenue streams as well, but demand has to come from something other than undercutting other entertainment options. The Wizards are going to have to become one of the first options people think of because they want to go see sexy soccer, not because it's cheaper than Chuck E Cheese. Hopefully with new revenue streams they can stunt ticket inflation, but until then I'm not missing more than 1-2 games per year.

Yes I wish MLS was more open with their financials, so there could be some checks against gouging. But the bottom line is this is soccer, and price controls are not appropriate in any way. Discounted kids tickets at the gate I am thoroughly in favor of, but ticket inflation at least for adult tickets is something that was always inevitable. None of us should be surprised by it. The Chiefs get away with charging a hell of a lot more, and the Wizards are a hell of a lot better team. Eventually that disparity has to narrow somehow.

EDIT: Actually I went off on quite a tangent there, but I do think the ST would be less expensive for the Cauldron if it hadn't been for the construction expense. Just wanted to add that in there.

9. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't letting people walk through on their own to look around before making a decision?

10. YilmazOrhan

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you can't go down into the stands today, as the CAB is pretty much still coated with ice. (Liability concerns, as usual. However, I got there early for my appointment, and was able to risk life and limb before someone came out to shoo me upstairs.) But you can walk around the concourse to get a sense of the sightlines from a particular section.

They've got a map set up in the last suite on the 3rd base side, with pins to identify the seats that have been taken. They're also taping blue cards to the actual seats, but that isn't 100% accurate.

The only other thing worth noting is that they are steering people away from the 1st four rows, other than the seats behind the dugouts.

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the grand tour by Sam himself, walking all the way around the stadium, and as suspected, got the stadium news directly from him when Dave Ficklin called him after the council vote was final (almost as good as being there!). Fortunately, the section I originally wanted was still pretty wide open....my seat is section 113, row 14, seat 27 (top row, aisle seat next to the picnic area). I figure there will be very little aisle traffic to obstruct my view during the game. I'm happy....thanks for the tour, Sam. :)

12. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then F 'em. At some point everybody has to pay the check. You can't keep expecting to see a professional product for $10 a pop (or free). It ain't gonna happen. I love it when people scream for soccer to become serious player on the American sports landscape, then bitch when tickets go over $20. We've been spoiled up to this point, but now it's time to wake up. See NFL. See MLB. See NBA. etc. etc. etc.

I will never tell anyone how to spend their money, and there should definitely be cheaper tickets for every game, but for primo seats, you're gonna have to pay up.

Sorry for the rant.

13. banker6901

banker6901 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Lawrence
    I do not get to select my seats until Saturday. I am working, but I am going to try to go during my lunch break. Can anyone tell me how long the whole process has been taking. Thanks.

14. YilmazOrhan

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took me about 20 minutes, but I was there at my scheduled time. If you just drop in, there's always a chance you might have to wait for a ticket rep to free up.

Once you're with a rep, it's all a matter of how much time you want to spend pondering your options.

15. banker6901

banker6901 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Lawrence
    Thanks for the reply, that should work good, my scheduled time is at 12:20. Can't wait.

16. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam is the man.