2008 FC Indiana

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by ButlerBob, May 20, 2008.

1. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC Indiana 3, Chicago 0
    July 17, 2008
    The W-League Midwest Division Champion FC Indiana defeated the Chicago Gaels 3-0 at Kuntz Stadium on Thursday night. The game against the Gaels was the last regular scheduled match of the regular season.
    With the win, FC Indiana final regular season record is 13-0-1 (40 points). The top seeded FC Indiana will play the first game of Friday’s Central Conference double header, when they take on the winner of Toronto-Laval match. In the second game of Friday’s double header, the Chicago Gaels or the Minnesota Lightning will take on the Ottawa Fury. The winners of both matches will square off on Sunday with the right to represent the Central Conference in the North American Championship semi finals.
    After FC Indiana forward Laura Del Rio scored in the 41st minute, FC Indiana seemed to fall asleep and Chicago controlled the proceedings. “Overall our performance was very poor and frankly the score flattered us a bit,” said FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski.
    In the second half Veronica Phewa scored in the 87th minute on an assist from Fatima Leyva. The same player finished out the scoring with another goal (assist to Monica Ocampo) in the 90th minute to put the game away.

Chicago Gaels at FC Indiana
    Kuntz Soccer Stadium
    Indianapolis, IN
    July 17, 2008

SCORING:
    FCI - Del Rio (Leyva) - 41’
    FCI - Phewa (Leyva) - 87’
    FCI – Phewa (Ocampo) - 90’

LINEUPS:
    FC INDIANA: Kristin Luckenbill, Jenny Jeffers, Marie-Eve Nault, Christie Shaner, Julianne Sitch, Kelly Parker, Fatima Leyva, Jessica O’Rourke, Laura Del Rio, Lauren Sesselmann, Annie Hamel
    CHICAGO: Kane, Walter, Bartindale (Spacht 81’), Anderson-Hammond (Carlson 59’), Mutters (Feltes 46’), Maynard, Buczkowski, Doyle, Bean, Strini, Ehrhardt

STATS:
    Shots: CHI 3, FCI 15
    Saves: CHI 6, FCI 2
    Fouls: CHI 11, FCI 17
    Offsides: CHI 0, FCI 3
    Corners: CHI 0, FCI 3

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for posting game results twinssoccerdad. I would have loved to see a game but something always comes up. I'm actually from Hammond and live in Chicago. So I root for Indiana teams as well. That's why I'm big on Lauren Cheney making it on the Olympic team, being from Indiana. She's also pretty damn good.
    By the way did you ask Luckenbill would she be happy if she was chosen by Chicago Red Stars?

3. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I wanted to ask what her choices were but did not. Mr. Wilt and Coach Emma were both there and they were talking to some players and Coach Borkowski. I got the feeling she just wants to play. But I have talked to most of the players and they feel the same way. I heard more talk of people trying to get a WPS club in Indy.

I talked to Shanner last night and she is having surgery today on her knee. (Not sure what is actually wrong.) She is hoping to be training again by September but won't make the USL W-League combine. Hopefully she will still get drafted. She did comment that she could come back with FC Indiana to get healthy and hope to get a call up if someone was to get hurt. She did seem in a good mood considering this injury could effect her soccer career.

4. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I heard that Coach DiCicco will be the head coach for the Boston team?? I think he was the first new WPL coach to be named.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. This happened some months ago.

6. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Just got this in an email. There is an imformative article at the attached web link.

http://www.theglobalgame.com/blog/?p=456

“Lafayette, Indiana | FC Indiana in four years has become a force in women’s club soccer in the United States, winning two Women’s Premier Soccer League titles and one U.S. Open Cup. But despite origins within a Midwest Amish agricultural enclave, its influence extends worldwide, illustrated by its high standing, currently third, in one global ranking and frequent links with high-profile international players such as Women’s World Cup stars Marta and Cristiane of Brazil, Cynthia Uwak of Nigeria and Inka Grings of Germany.”

7. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC Indiana to host Conference Final Four

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, July 22, 2008 — The United Soccer Leagues announced that the Midwest Division Champion FC Indiana will host the Central Conference Final Four to be held Friday and Sunday July 25 and July 27 at Purdue Soccer Stadium in West Lafayette, Indiana.

FC Indiana will take on the winner of Toronto and Laval which will be decided on Wednesday night in Toronto. Northern Division Champion Ottawa will face the Midwest runner-up Chicago in the other semifinal. The semifinals are set for July 25 with the conference final July 27.
    Ticket prices for the games on both Friday and Sunday’s matches will be the same as the regular season, $6 for Adults (16 and over) and $3 Youth (under 5 free). FC Indiana will be offering a presale playoff pass that will allow all fans enjoy both games on Friday night (3:30 and 6:00 PM) AND the Conference Final on Sunday (6:00 PM kick off) for ONLY $11 Adult and $6 Youth. These playoff passes will not be for sale on game day and must be purchased prior to Friday, July 27th.

In the Northeast, Boston will travel to Long Island for their opening match Wednesday with the winner moving on to take on the 2007 W-League finalist Silverbacks in the Eastern Conference Semifinals, which will be hosted by Atlanta. The defending league champion Washington Freedom take on the Charlotte Lady Eagles in the other semifinal. The semifinals are July 25 with the conference final July 26.

With the Pali Blues winning the W-League regular season title and a berth in the league semifinals in Virginia Beach, the Western Conference final will feature second-place Vancouver playing host to the rival Seattle Sounders Saturday, July 26.

The three conference playoff champions will join the Pali Blues in Virginia Beach for the W-League Championship tournament. The league semifinals will be Thursday, July 31 with the championship game Saturday, August 2. The Final will air on Fox Soccer Channel at 11:00 pm ET with a replay the following day at 4:00 pm ET.

W-LEAGUE PLAYOFF SCHEDULE
    Central Conference
    7/23: Laval @ Toronto – 7:30 – Divisional Round
    7/25: Chicago vs Ottawa – 3:30 – Conference Semifinal
    7/25: Divisional Winner vs FC Indiana* – 6:00 – Conference Semifinal
    7/27: Conference Championship – TBD – 6:00
    Eastern Conference
    7/23: Boston @ Long Island – 7:00 – Divisional Round
    7/25: Charlotte vs Washington – 5:00 – Conference Semifinal
    7/25: Divisional Winner vs Atlanta* - 8:00 – Conference Semifinal
    7/26: Conference Championship – 8:00
    Western Conference
    7/26: Seattle @ Vancouver – 7:00 – Conference playoff
    *Denotes conference tournament host

8. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Shaner recovering after surgery
    July 18, 2008
    FC Indiana defender Christie Shaner underwent a one-hour surgery this morning to repair her meniscus. Dr. Robert Hagen performed the surgery and said “everything went well."
    Shaner, 23, suffered the injury in training before a game against Minnesota. The expectation is that Shaner will have an aggressive rehab program and will begin team training in six weeks.
    Shaner played in nine league matches this season, assisting on one goal.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What's the latest reports dad? Where does FCI play next?

10. kinetica

kinetica New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCI will play the Seattle Sounders women on Thursday in Virginia Beach. Winner of that match will play the winner of the Pali Blues/Washington Freedom match.

11. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Sorry for the slow down. Family vacation and have been out of touch. We went to the race yesterday instead of the match. (Not by our choice. Family plans long before playoffs were anounced.) Sent the kids with grandma so got live updates.

I guess yesterday's match was incredible.

Does anyone know what time zone the 11:00 game time is for Sat. night? Is that Virginia time or what? No I am not overlooking Thursday's match but no matter who plays I want to make sure to catch it.

How about predictions? I do not know enough about the other teams to really have an opinion at this time. From what I heard Ottawa was real quick.

By finish it looks like FCI vs. Pali. But we all know anything can happen. Anyone predicting the upset on either match?

12. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Coverage of the W-League Championship Final to air this Saturday on Fox Soccer Channel

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, July 28, 2008 — Fox Soccer Channel announced its broadcast of the USL W-League Championship Final, the biggest women's soccer event in North America this year. The Washington Freedom (13-1-2), Pali Blues (12-0-0), FC Indiana (15-0-1) and Seattle Sounders (6-3-4) have advanced to the W-League Championship semifinals taking place this weekend in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Coverage of the W-League Championship final will air on Fox Soccer Channel this Saturday, August 2 at 11:00 p.m. ET.

An expansion team, FC Indiana claimed the Central Conference title and secured their place in the W-League semifinals by defeating the Ottawa Fury 4-3. In the Eastern Conference final, Washington defeated the Atlanta Silverbacks 2-1 to advance to the W-League semis for the second straight year. Last year's semi-finalists , Seattle Sounders, beat its Western Conference finals opponent, the Vancouver Whitecaps, 1-0, to advance to the championship weekend of the W-League. Another expansion team Pali Blues received an automatic bid to the W-League semifinals, as they finished with the best winning percentage in the league.

What: 2008 USL W-League Championship Final

When: Saturday, August 2, at 11:00 p.m. ET.

Who: Washington Freedom, Pali Blues, FC Indiana, Seattle Sounders

Where: Fox Soccer Channel

13. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Anyone planning to goto Virginia Beach this weekend?

14. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to try to get there Saturday if the Freedom are still playing. No way I can make it Thursday, unfortunately, since that should be a good game.

15. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i will be there

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it turns out, I'm not going to be able to get there Saturday, either. I had a conflict I thought I could work around, but I can't. At least if the Freedom get that far it will be on TV.

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a rainy game FC-Indiana came through in the 86th minute to win 1:0 over Seattle!! Fatima got the goal on a play with del Río. I wasn't there but really wish I could've gone.

mace

18. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    This makes no sense to me. It does say in January and we have been told that the WPS teams will only be allowed so many foreign players but why would she commit before the draft?

FC Indiana offer two year contract to top scorer Del Rio

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, August 4, 2008 — FC Indiana have presented financial terms to one of the W-League’s most exciting players Laura Del Rio expecting to sign the player for 2009.
    Spain international Del Rio, finished the W-League season with 15 goals and 13 assists, and is known to be highly regarded by FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski.
    Said Borkowski “I expect Del Rio to be here next January. To me, face to face, she said she wants to stay at the club, so I believe what she told me."
    The 26 year old striker has made 30 appearances for Spain WNT scoring 12 goals, has won 3 league titles and 6 cup titles in her career, and has scored 156 goals in all competitions in nine seasons of Spanish Superliga.
    FC Indiana have received one formal offer for Del Rio this summer and nothing will be officially sorted until later on this month but all the signs are there that the player will remain in Indiana next season.
    Del Rio, who played limited time in the W-League Final Four because of a hamstring injury, said: 'FC Indiana want me and I want to stay. I am confident I will be here next season.'

19. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Maybe there is a claus saying that she can leave your club and the contract is void IF she gets drafted by the WPS??:confused: Unless, your club gave her a large amount of $ to stay, more than what the WPS would or could of paid??:eek:

20. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I honestly doubt that but I could be very wrong. I have been wrong before ask my wife.

But she could be making sure she has a place to play next year. I still have heard that FCI would like to be part of the WPS at some point but the money would be an issue.

If they did join WPS they would then be limited to how many foreign players could be on the team. Catch 22 huh?

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe she'd rather be a star in the W-League than a role player in the WPS.

22. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to offer a two year contract indiana must know something we dont.
    three possibilities
    1. she has a get out clause (most likely)
    2. indiana expects to join wps
    3. indiana expects w-league to have a pro division, supported by umbro/nike competing against wps

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why would FC Indiana compete with WPS when owners of FC Indiana are also owners in the WPS?

24. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Folks,

You can check out the latest game highlights (conference final) plus some "extras" at www.fci-tv.com. Highlights from the Final will be up within a few days.

Mace

25. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCI is into the final round of the US Open Cup. They won the semi-final 8:0. They will face Ajax in the final. Ajax won the WPSL, so I guess we'll see which league is best! :) Ajax has some players from Pali Blues and Ajax beat FC Indiana last year in the cup. Good luck to FCI in the finals!

Mace