2008 FC Indiana

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by ButlerBob, May 20, 2008.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I would start a season thread for FC Indiana. They are new to the W-League this season but had previously been successful in the WPSL and in the women's version of the Open Cup. Like some other of the top clubs in the W-League their roster is made up of out of college players.

They had their first game last weekend with a 2 - 0 victory over Kalamazoo Outrage.

Game info from the USL site.
    http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/matchreports/249543.html

Game summary from the FC Indiana site.
    http://www.fcindiana.com/

Kalamazoo 0, FC Indiana 2
    May 16, 2008
    "Statistics mean nothing," said FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski after the game. "We played well at times and tried to win but still are not aggressive enough at running at defenders."
    W-League valuable away points were at stake at Mayors Riverview Park in Kalamazoo, Michigan as FC Indiana left it late to beat the Kalamazoo Outrage in this entertaining and action packed season opener for both teams. FC Indiana were cruising before the break thanks to Anna Laue’ sublime strike, assisted by Veronica Phewa, but could not put away the hosts despite outshooting them 21-1.
    Second half substitute Lauren Sesselmann has sealed the deal for FC Indiana, lashing home from 20 yards out in the 71’, no chance of a comeback.
    "They're a great team,'' Kalamazoo coach Tony DiTucci said of FC Indiana. "They've been training together for months and months. They have Olympic-level players, national team players. It was a great team to compete against to give us a great first benchmark to see where we're at.''
    FC INDIANA: Luckenbill, Jeffers, Nault, Luik, Parker, Leyva, O’Rourke, Milyak (Sitch 46’), Laue (Sesselmann 60’), Ruiz (Phewa 30’), Hamel (Mosebo 60’)
    Goals:
    1-0 Laue, 39’ (Phewa)
    2-0 Sesselmann, 71’

2. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Appreciate you doing this but you must mean that their line-up is not made up of college players, since they're a professional team.

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's more or less what I said, although didn't say professional. :D

their roster is made up of out of college players.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC Indiana v Michigan Hawks tomorrow night in Indy. A good measuring stick for what is to come of FCI.

I hope to take my girls to this game even though it is a school night.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a recap from the team site.

FC Indiana 5, Michigan Hawks 0
    May 21, 2008
    FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski was displeased with his teams’ attempt to cruise through their W-League home opener against the Michigan Hawks after his team won 5-0.
    “At 3-0 we stopped playing,” he said. “When you lead 3-0 it is natural to think you are going to win – but Michigan is a good team and made it difficult for us and never gave up.
    "Our second half substitutes played with a bit more intensity," he continued.
    At least one moment had Borkowski cheering. He smiled briefly when Laura del Rio blazed in her third goal after good pass by Moore to make it 5-0. “Everything about that was perfect,” he said. “Moore’ pass was fantastic, and del Rio produced a great finish. It’s important to us that she keeps on scoring.”
    FC Indiana defender Aivi Luik, meanwhile, echoed her coach’s relief at getting past this hurdle. “We are not pleased at the performance – although it’s never easy to concentrate when you’re three goals up,” she said.
    FC Indiana: Mason, Jeffers (Shaner 56’), Luik, Nault (Moore 56’), Milyak, Sitch, Leyva (O’Rourke 80’), Parker (Mosebo 70’), Laue (Hamel 46’), Sesselmann (Phewa 60’), del Rio
    Michigan Hawks: Mannino, Delvecchio, Stanczyk, Burns, Carron, Boyle, Finneren, Zickl (Miller 36’), Underwood, Martin, Dobbyn
    Goals:
    16’ - del Rio (Sesselmann)
    22’ - Sesselmann (Parker)
    34’ - Sesselmann (Sitch)
    81’ - del Rio (Mosebo)
    90’ - del Rio (Moore)

SHOTS: FCI - 18, MICH - 3
    SAVES: FCI - 2, MICH - 3
    FOULS: FCI - 13, MICH - 9
    CORNERS: FCI - 7, MICH - 2

7. MU11

MU11 New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Wow... it really looks like FCI is getting a big test with their W-League competition.... not... well, it seems their best rival is still River Cities F.C.

8. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    loosen up river cities fan.
    fc indiana is not your average wpsl (or even w-league team). they've won two championships in that league and they are yet to play pali blues, atlanta and washington. don't climax yet. it remains to be seen just how good they are.

9. kinetica

kinetica New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another win and Del Rio continues to impress. FCI had a number of chances off the crossbar or just over.

FC Indiana 5, Fort Wayne Fever 1
    May 25, 2008

FC Indiana solidified their W-League Midwest Division top spot as Fort Wayne Fever were brushed aside at Purdue Soccer Complex Sunday evening. FC Indiana scored first when Lauren Sesselmann scored from Del Rio in the 12 minute. With twenty-five minutes left in the first half it was Courtney Blake who tied it 1-1. Three goals in the space of twenty second-half minutes from Laura Del Rio (2) and Annie Hamel broke the Fever’s resistance before Veronica Phewa extended the margin in the second half. And with three points virtually assured inside an hour, FC Indiana coach Borkowski was able to rest some of his players ahead of next Sunday’s key match against the Chicago Gaels. "The performance, against a disciplined and organized Fort Wayne, was good. We were patient and methodical in our build up," said Borkowski. "We played some good soccer and we created lots of chances I have no complaints with my players' performance." FC Indiana dominated from the start and Fort Wayne’s goalkeeper Shannon Lynn faced 29 shots.

FC Indiana: Mason, Jeffers (Shaner 46’), Luik, Nault (Phewa 46’), Milyak (O’Rourke 80’), Sitch, Leyva, Parker, Laue (Mosebo 76’), Sesselmann (Hamel 55’), del Rio (Ruiz 80’)
    Fort Wayne Fever: Lynn, Godall, Aligier, Blake, Yeager, Schultz, Beck, Killion, Faron, Ward (Sorg 60’), Wilson (McHenry 65’)
    GOALS
    1-0 Sesselmann (Del Rio) 9’
    1-1 Blake 19’
    2-1 Del Rio (Parker) 59’
    3-1 Hamel (Del Rio) 67’
    4-1 Del Rio (Luik) 80’
    5-1 Phewa (Parker) 88’
    SHOTS: FCI 29, FWF 2
    SAVES: FCI 1, FWF 13
    CORNERS: FCI 11, FWF 0
    Attendance: 205

10. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    The sad thing is that the Ft. Wayne keeper made some great plays. She was just beat on all night. I think FCI may have had over 90% possesion in this one.

11. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Check out the highlights at:

http://www.fci-tv.com/WFCI/FCI-FW_Fever/FCI-FW_Fever.html

Ft. Wayne looked very young and I thought they held tight and really played pretty well, considering the difference in age/experience. How old are they, college or younger? (maybe I'm just getting too old to judge age :) ) To keep it 1:1 at half was pretty good for them. But, the writing was on the wall with FCI pretty much dominating every aspect. Their keeper did do well.

Mace

12. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Going through the lineup:
    Fort Wayne Fever:
    Lynn college grad, former IPFW player
    Godall Millwall Academy
    Aligier HS class of '08, playing at IUPUI this fall
    Blake HS class of '09, committed to UK
    Yeager class of '08 playing at Indiana Wesleyan this fall
    Schultz not sure who this is
    Beck HS class of 09, uncommitted as far as I know
    Killion HS class of '11
    Faron HS Class of 08, not sure if she's committed
    Ward college grad, former MTSU player
    Sorg 60’ HS Class of 08, playing at Toledo this fall
    Wilson plays at Murray State
    McHenry 65’--HS class of '08, playing at La Tech this fall

So, you're not getting too old quite yet, mace!

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to watch the FC Indiana @ Chicago Gaels this afternoon. It was a 3 -0 win for FC Indiana. There were 2 goals for Julianne Sitch and 1 for Veronica Phewa. Chicago did a fairly good job at defending, but their keeper is probably the main reason the score wasn't higher. She saved a PK and made a couple other saves that looked like sure goals. I thouhgt Indiana looked very good both on the ball and defending. I'll post links to the game summary when it's posted on the league site.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cool. I was going to go to the game but had other obligations.
    How many former and present ND players were there on both teams?

15. kinetica

kinetica New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far as I know, Christie Shaner is the only former ND player on FC Indiana. I'm unsure about Chicago for sure, but I believe they have a few of the current players on their squad. Don't quote me on that though.

16. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the match info from the league site.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/stats/2008/651013.html

Here's the match story from the FC Indiana site.

http://www.fcindiana.com/

Chicago 0, FC Indiana 3
    June 1, 2008
    "We deserved to win over 90 minutes, created more chances, and over the whole game, we’ve never really been hurt by them. We’ve shown good improvement in the last three matches - we’re far more dangerous now," said FC Indiana coach Shek Borkowski after his team defeated Chicago Gaels 3-0 Sunday afternoon in Chicago.
    "Our backs Luik, O’Rourke, Jeffers and Nault are developing good understanding and are playing better in each game," continued Borkowski.
    While the FC Indiana defense was stellar in registering the shutout, it was the exciting offense of Julianne Sitch and Laura Del Rio that electrified the crowd. Sitch scored two gems on Sunday, both assisted by Del Rio. In the 22nd minute, Sitch took a pass from Del Rio at the six yard spot, and smacked home her first game winning goal of the season. Just six minutes later once again it was Sitch who killed off the game with the insurance tally with a 16 yard blast, after being played in by Del Rio. The second half was more attacking FC Indiana soccer, as the visitors pumped a total of 19 shots at goal on the night. In the 72’ substitute Veronica Phewa collected a pass from Ocampo and scored from a tight angle to make it 3-0. While Sitch scored twice against her former team, it was Chicago’s goalkeeper Erin Kane who was the star of the match after she stopped an FC Indiana penalty and made a number of outstanding saves to keep it close.

FC Indiana: Mason, Jeffers, Luik, Nault, O’Rourke, Sitch, Leyva (Mosebo 75’), Parker (Shaner 70’), Ruiz (Hamel 46’), del Rio (Phewa 66’), Sesselmann (Ocampo 60’)
    Chicago: Kane, Walter, Bartindale (Spacht 81'), Anderson-Hammond (Carlson 59'), Mutters (Feltes 46'), Maynard, Buczkowski, Shaffer, Doyle, Sitkowski (Sloan 46'), Strini (Ehrhardt 46')
    GOALS
    1-0 Sitch (Del Rio) 22’
    2-0 Sitch (Del Rio) 28’
    3-0 Phewa (Ocampo) 72’
    SHOTS: FCI 19, CHI 5
    SAVES: FCI 3, CHI 7
    CORNERS: FCI 3, CHI 2

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Indiana won at Cleveland 5:0. I don't know who scored... just got the info 2nd hand.
    Mace

19. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC Indiana: Luckenbill, Jeffers, Luik, Nault (Shaner 60’), O’Rourke (Milyak 60’), Sitch, Leyva, Parker (Phewa 70’), Ruiz (Hamel 70’), del Rio (Ocampo 70’), Sesselmann (Moore 70’)
    Cleveland: Campana (Betts 46’), Balconi, Graeff, Imhoff, Povoa, Cinalli, Rosen, Rostedt, Young, Maxwell (Krawczak 75’), Grubb
    GOALS
    1-0 Sesselmann (Del Rio) 7’
    2-0 Sitch (Sesselmann) 30’
    3-0 Ruiz (Sitch) 38’
    4-0 Ocampo (Sitch) 72’
    5-0 Sitch (Ocampo) 82’
    SHOTS: FCI 19, CLE 8
    SAVES: FCI 1, CLE 9
    CORNERS: FCI 2, CLE 1

Got this off the FCI site. They are on a role. Everything I read said Cleveland should have given them a better game.

20. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like Sitch had another good game. In the Chicago game I was really impressed with her and Ruiz. They make a great combination in midfield.

21. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, next up is Minnesota... another team who is supposed to provide some competition... we'll see! The game will be filmed so highlights will be available.

I look forward to seeing Ruiz give a go since I've only seen her play a little bit. FC Indiana really does have a ton of depth at all positions.

Mace

22. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    They are deep. They almost have another five or six players that do not dress for the games due to roster limits. Which is good when you have injuries, and they do have a couple. I would just like to see thier defense tested a little before they have to play the top teams in other divisions. They games I have seen have been played mostly in the offensive half.

23. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, their defense wasn't tested per se tonight, but it was a tough battle to score against Minnesota and it ended up a 1:1 draw. FC Indiana had many, many close chances, especially as they pressed and pressed at the end of the game (Minnesota scored first in the first 20 minutes). FCI finally broke through late but fate would not allow a second. Minnesota played a very physical game and one must give their defense credit. But, there appeared to be some sort of force field keeping the ball out of their goal at times.

Mace

24. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Minnesota defense was tough and the keeper had a good match.

FCI could not break the goal line. Very aggressive on both sides.

I have not seen every FCI game over the last two years but from what I have seen, that was thier toughest match to date. I wish I could make the trip to St. Paul in July to see the rematch.

25. kinetica

kinetica New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC INDIANA: Kristin Luckenbill (Lauren Mason 46’), Jenny Jeffers, Marie-Eve Nault (Lena Mosebo 46’), Christie Shaner, Julianne Sitch, Kelly Parker (Maria Ruiz 55’), Fatima Leyva, Jessica O’Rourke (Veronica Phewa 46’), Laura Del Rio (Monica Ocampo 46’), Lauren Sesselmann (Corie Moore 46’), Annie Hamel
    WEST MICHIGAN: Kristina Nasturzio, Kristen Pelkki, Ellen Phillips, Tara Wegner, Erin Mruz, Courtney Nash, Ali Nicoles, Rebecca Reese, Erin DeYoung (Sarah Kaufman 62), Jacquie Lacek, Erica Rohren
    Scoring Summary:
    FCI - Del Rio - 12’
    FCI - Del Rio (Leyva) - 21’

FCI - Hamel (Parker) - 27’
    FCI - Sesselmann (Del Rio) - 31’
    FCI - Rohen (own goal) - 33’
    FCI - Phewa - 47’
    FCI - Ocampo (Hamel) - 49’
    FCI - Hamel (Ocampo) - 77’
    FCI - Phewa (Ruiz) - 84’
    Statistics:
    Shots: WM 2, FCI 31
    Saves: WM 18, FCI 0
    Fouls: WM 4, FCI 5
    Offsides: WM 0, FCI 5
    Corners: WM 1, FCI 10

So obviously they were a little angry after tying Minnesota. Too bad for Western Michigan they were basically a 'redemption' game.