2008 CWC: Al Ahly - Pachuca (Quarterfinal #1) [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Nov 17, 2008.

1. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Date: 13.12.2008 (13:45 Tokyo)

TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports en Español, ART Sport 3, Others

--------------------------------------------------------------------

SwissGCZ, is there a team more dominant than Al Ahly?

2. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Re: 2008 FIFA Club World Cup: Continental Competitions [R]

Al Ahly were the team that beat America back in 2006 to take 3rd place. They have a Portuguese coach that could very well be a manager for either either the Portuguese or Egyptian national team in the future.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

In other confederations? Hardly, although Waitakere could establish similar dominance with a third O-League title next year. But that of course isn't nearly as impressive.

And to post this again...

[youtube]zrS-lNLow7U[/youtube]
    Club America - Al Ahly (2006 CWC)

4. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

African Club's seem to be a bit of a bogey for Mexican Club's in the CWC, however on saying that the player quality of Pachuca is better than that of Al Ahly, so hopefully Pachuca will advance past the Egyptians. Pachuca vs Al Ahly should be a very good game though.
    If Pachuca manage to get past LDU Quito in the Semi's, then this would result in the first ever time that a non Euro or S.American Club has reached the final. Such an occurence would be great for CONCACAF and the very strong and rapidly developing Mexican League.
    A Man Utd vs Pachuca final, would be won by a full strength Man Utd squad, however if you took Ronaldo out of that squad and Pachuca played very dirty with United, then Pachuca could win it.

5. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008

We don't play dirty, most Mexican club sides don't for that matter, so throw tha notion out the window. We'll try to play football and see what happens. :)

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

I see this as a 50-50 game.

I normally rate the Mexican Primera Division as the strongest league outside Europe and South America, but Ahly has proven to be extremely consistent and Pachuca failed to make the Liguilla (playoffs) this season.

7. avalanche-870

avalanche-870 New Member

Nov 21, 2008

this is my first post here and i discovered this site during my search for football forums that speak about the upcoming 2008 FIFA Club World Cup to see what people think of my team. so yes i can say that our team has alot to show this year in japan and our game with pachuca won't be easy for them or for us.indeed its a 50:50 game but we got alot to show in the field especially with the new players who didn't participate in the CAF championship and whom you didn't see in the matches highlights(if you saw any).so hopefully these players will be the key for us to get through the pachuca match and who knows may be to the final

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

I saw a couple of matches on ART including the final. Who are these players? They weren't registered for the CAF CL on time?

9. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

I think they signed a striker from Enyimba who was scoring goals left right and centre in this season's Champions' League.

10. Ahlawy Red Devil

Ahlawy Red Devil New Member

Nov 23, 2008

No .. he didn't sign ..
    There are 2-3 new players joined the team last summer, too late to register them in the Champions League list.

11. Ahlawy Red Devil

Nov 23, 2008
    Re: 2008 FIFA Club World Cup - General Thread [R]

I have a question to pachuca fans .. How good this team is? compared with Club America that Al Ahly played against, the 2006 CWC ?

12. avalanche-870

avalanche-870 New Member

Nov 21, 2008

No they were not registered as they came to al-ahly last january.they are 9 new players but of course not all of them will be in japan.yet there are 3 players that you should watch if they played:Ahmed hassan farag(called drogba cause he looks identical to drogba.he is a striker different from Ahmed Hassan the midfielder who will probably be playing)and Hany el-egezy(another tall efficient striker)and hussein yasser al-mohamady(a midfielder he plays in qatar selection).those are the new who will probably play in addition to the other players(focus on the midfielder abou trika)

13. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

I'm not a Pachuca fan, but here is a video of their game against Etoile du Sahel from last year's tournament:

[youtube]rnfTl-tM5AQ[/youtube]

14. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Both Pachuca and Club America are very evenly matched at present in my opinion, and both of these Mexican Clubs do have better overall player quality than Al Ahly, so really they should not be losing too often to this Egyptian Club. There seems to be a bit of a curse affecting the better Mexican's when they compete against the Africans, this in the CWC, and hopefully this year Pachuca will break it, and show how great the Mexican League truly is.

15. Ahlawy Red Devil

Nov 23, 2008

May be Pachuca shouldn't have lost to the Tunisian team in 07, Pachuca dominated the match and had more chances but the Tunisians scored, which is more imprtant. In 06, Al Ahly played a good match with Club America and deserved that win (without the need of the curse).

"better overall player quality" I don't know about that .. if you want to fairly compare, you have to see both teams .. that's why I asked, I didn't see Pachuca so I can't judge ..

16. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I have seen quite a bit of both Pachuca and Al Ahly this year, and on comparing what I have seen I would say that Pachuca are better. However on saying that they are both very good sides in my opinion, and I believe that if Al Ahly reached the final of the CWC they would actually give Manchester United the harder match. One thing that I love about Egyptian teams is that they seem very fearless and confident, no matter who they come up against. Pachuca and LDU could easily fall apart against Man Utd, whereas Al Ahly will be mentally intact and strong from start to finnish.

17. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008

Pachuca was not in good form this past season as we couldn't qualify for the playoffs in a very mediocre Apertura 2008. However we did have some good victories along the way, for example a 5-2 thrashing of Guadalajara. If we play like we did against Chivas we could very well make the final and once there anything can happen.

18. Re: 2008 FIFA Club World Cup - General Thread [R]

Well, Chivas isn't exactly a powerhouse either ;)

19. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008

Besides Manchester United, neither are any of the other clubs in the CWC.

20. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

In comparison to the mighty Manchester United nobody is a powerhouse. They are the World's most popular club. Only probably Real Madrid, AC Milan, Bayern Munich and Boca Juniors come close, but even this closeness features quite a gap.

21. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008

If you count plastic Asian and North American "supporters", then yes United are the most popular club.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

A more interesting question would be who's the 2nd most popular club in the tournament. With an estimated fanbase of 40-50 million that mention would have to go to Al Ahly.

PS: Has the season ended for Pachuca?

23. Re: 2008 FIFA Club World Cup - General Thread [R]

Ya, they have been inactive for two weeks by now.

24. Ahlawy Red Devil

Nov 23, 2008

40-50 million Egyptians only .. there are more from other arab countries .. I'm not Egyptian.

25. fawer

fawer New Member

Nov 27, 2008

°l||l°Egyptian club Al Ahly°l||l°

African Champions league, 2008

[​IMG]

The club logo

[​IMG]