2008-2009 Champions' League Group Stage Draw and Schedule

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by EvanJ, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Arsenal de Sarandi. I personally like having a Champions league. What is not fair is that MLS teams should not have as much or more spots than Mexican teams.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh god, please don't start this whole argument again. I seriously had enough of it. The tournament is gonna happen (and probably be successful) whether you people like it or not.

3. Saprissa1990

Saprissa1990 Red Card

Jul 15, 2008
    In your mom...
    It is the whole timing of it.

Why can't they just have the group stages in Januray & February like the Champions League and the Copa Libertadores? That would free up the fall/winter for our clubs to play in the Sudamericana.

Even money and marketing is not enough to warrant MLS 4 spots. That is just blatant favoristm.

I would very much like a Champions League for our region. A professional one at that. Not this joke we have right now which hand spots to whoever has the most money and population.

Now we have to suffer the countless meaningless matches against Real United, Puerto Rico, etc.:rolleyes:

BTW, do you know of any Honduran channel that is showing Motagua vs Arsenal? I will support them and hope they at least make the quaterfinals.:)

4. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Seriously you people from Mexico and Costa Rica are like a broken record, you dint get three spots deal with it.

5. Saprissa1990

Saprissa1990 Red Card

Jul 15, 2008
    In your mom...
    Then don't force us to play next year then like you did this year. That way, you can have your classic matchups vs Houston Galaxy, Montreal, Dominican Republic, etc.

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant disagee with your feelings on this, all i would ask is let the group stages play out in the CCL for this year just to see if CONCACAF is really over rating MLS or not. Lets remember the last 13 years MLS has been playing CONCACAF internations in pre-season.

I mean even mexican fans are saying Superliga is wack becaus they get no home games and their teams are in pre-season mode. Lets see all these teams in the fall in season home and away.

If after that MLS still shows like crap....i will fully support your position that MLS needs to conceed 1 sopt to Costa Rica. Ideally after a few years we could go coefficent style like UEFA where no one can have more than 4 but nations whose clubs do well can take spots from other nations.

For the record i rate MLS and the top half of costa rica at least equal and i would rate the very best CR sides at or above the top sides in MLS.

7. Saprissa1990

Saprissa1990 Red Card

Jul 15, 2008
    In your mom...
    One thing I would agree is that if MLS still perform like caca in their in-season mode this year, they should give up 1 of their spots to us who have earned it a loooong time ago.

It is still a nasty tournament blatantly designed for MLS teams to make it far and I wouldn't be surprised if some questionable refereeing were also involved.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  8. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm going with Cruz Azul winning their 6th Concacaf Championship. The only Mexican club to reach the final of Copa Libertadores, they haven't won a title in a while and since just losing the Mexican final they will be hungry for silverware

9. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    LOL you have any idea where I live? LOL sure we force people with the influence of our great futbol fed jajajaja

10. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm actually looking forward to this tourney. Its not perfect but better then the CCC. Its good to play in the SA tournaments but also good to develop the football in our own continent. It may just be the Cruz Azul fan in me that wants to see us in international competition again since we have been absent from it since 03. I think thought that this help foster some good rivalries, we just need to give it some time.

Sort of a weird side note but does anyone know what the trophy will look like? Please don't tell me its that hideous gold thing on the logo.

[​IMG]

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks a bit like an MLS trophy.