2008 0fficial Mexico's Copa Sudamericana Thread: General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Chiquitibum, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
  2. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Any comments from the FMF?

3. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    These types of decisions leave one wondering what is really going on deep in the bowels of CONCACAF.

Based on the video posted in femexfut's web site (http://www.femexfut.org.mx/), it seems that they tried to at least salvage this years participation of the two Mexican teams slated to play this tourney - Monterrey and Puebla. It also seems this was very last-minute, as the competitions draw is happening this Friday.

Personally, I don't see how having Monterrey and Puebla playing Sudamericana would have any impact on CONCACAF's champions league. Unless they are worried about games from the two competitions happening at the same time and splitting the viewing audiences. Seems rather unlikely.

Compean and Decio definitely didn't seem happy with this and it sounded like the CONMEBOL folks were also not very happy.

So basically, we know that Libertadores is safe at least for 2010. There are to be further CONCACAF discussions in November to review that and also Copa America. I don't know. Compean sounded at least more confident when discussing Mexican teams' participation in those tourneys in the future since he stated that the calendar of those events shouldn't impact with CONCACAF's tourney. But since I still don't see the logic on how having mid-table Mexican teams participate in Sudamericana could possibly impact CONCACAF champions, then you can throw logic out the window when it comes to CONCACAF.

Now if only CONCACAF elliminated Superliga....

1 person likes this.
  4. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Mexico's response to this should be.

No more Superliga, and that they will not renew their contract with SUM.

Stick it to them :mad:

1 person likes this.
  5. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unfortunately, cash is the foremost priority for the higher ups at the FMF. They are more interested in getting dollars from playing in the Interliga in the US, from having the Mexican national team play friendlies in the US, etc. They need CONCACAF and SUM if they are to continue soaking Mexican fans in the US for top dollar.

Now that the Confederation Cup is getting prominent news, does anyone remember that the US is there because they won the Gold Cup and that every game the US has played in the Gold Cup has been on US soil ? Can you imagine if every Gold Cup game was played in Mexico? The FMF is happy with this only because they can get more dollars by having every game in the US. Athletic fairness be damned.

CONCACAF needs Mexico and the Mexican teams very badly. That's where the money is. But, the FMF also wants a piece of the pie. And furthermore, they will not risk alienation from international tournaments by standing up to CONCACAF. Too much money at stake.

6. L.D.11

L.D.11 Member

Sep 23, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    im pretty sure many more people will watch sudamericana than concacaf champions league, if they even know the concaccaf tournament even exists.

BTW when will chuck blazer and warner's reign of terror end?

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just watched the video and if the reporter is to be believed then the Mexican owners just don't get it. It would seem that the owners believe that the game had crappy attendance because the Mexican fans in the US are going to MLS or USMNT games instead. I guess it never occured to them that the reason for the attendance was because fans are sick and tired of playing the Guatemalans of the world.

8. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

This sucks. Doesn't this also mean now that Mexican clubs are out of Copa Suda America they have a slimmer chance of going to the Club World Cup

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    At this rate we will be the next Peru.

11. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Que tu boca se haga chicharon.

12. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Blazer/Warner's reign ending ? Not any time soon. They are even now working on deals with Satan for eternal life in exchange for having the Mexican national team playing in Hell twice each year for the next millenium. Javier Aguirre has stated that they are used to conditions in CONCACAF away matches so playing in Hell would not be much different.

13. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sucks no sudamericana then.

bogus.

14. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Why is thread still open??

No Copa Sudamericana.

15. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    2008 0fficial Mexico's Copa Sudamericana Thread: General Discussion [R]

Thanks.

16. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    well yea, 2009 is almost ending, and no more Copa Sud...

Isn't it time to close it?

17. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have been watching a little of this years Sudamericana and think Puebla or Monterrey can totally make the semi´s or the final.

18. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ive been following it! damn its been cut throat this year! a lot better than past years! River(U) is my fav to take it! they have outplayed Velez which had an amazing run in quarter finals against boca and then took on Union Espanola and LDUQ,which was crazy!!! Monterrey I think would have had a good chance! but its def been a lot more competetive than past years!

19. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I think Chivas can will the tournament

20. Naquisima

Naquisima Member+

Sep 18, 2008
    Long Beach!
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I doubt it.

Have you seen us play lately?

21. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

El Naca lol. It's funny though look at Chivas and America they weren't in the
    top of their leagues yet they go and rip apart some of south Americas finest in
    Libertadores that's why I am saying copa sudamerica they might win it
    look at Pachuca a year or so ago.