2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League - Preliminary Round [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, some so-called "professional" leagues don't pay well enough (understandably so), but most players won't have much to do much else afterward.

2. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    For me, the fact that they still find a way to have a full season league that runs is enough and I applaud that (remember, we used to be just like that before the 90s).

3. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Actually there is a good argument to be made that starting a professional league in a poor country is easier than a wealthiest country. Consider the following (GDP - per capita (PPP)):
    Belize - $7,900
    Cuba - $4,500
    Haiti - $1,300

Canada - $38,400

Running a professional team in Haiti, might very well cost you less than the PPP in Canada. Granted, if it is successful, you will make a great deal more money in Canada, but the business case for a successful league in Canada is far from an open ans shut case

It is also the case that in Canada potential players have great deal more opportunities to make a living (outside professional sports) than in poorer countries, this means that getting players might be harder and more expensive. The size of the country also works against Canada (when it comes to starting a professional league) since more stadiums will be needed (can't share home ground if you are 100s or 1000s miles apart). This can also negatively impact attendance since it is harder for the away fans regularly show up for games.

Bottom line, professional league or not, Canada and Puerto Rico are members of CONCACAF and teams from both associations should have a path to the CONCACAF Champions league. The fact that some of these teams play in the USL should not eliminate them from participating. Regardless of how a teams does in the USL, it can't qualify for the CCL. The only avenues available for USL teams are: Win the US Open Cup, Win the Canadian qualifier (what Montreal did), Qualify through CFU (what the Islanders did) and no teams gets more than a single shot at making the CCL.

4. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Yes the PR Soccer league and before that, Liga Mayor de Futbol and at the same time Liga Premier de Futbol. That means we have sometime struggling to have some football here (football is practice in PR since 1911). I hope that we prove in this tournament that at least we (the caribbean) deserve 1 direct spot.

5. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    Then have a team come from the PR league.

6. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Off topic, a bit here....after October, is there any football being played? I'm planning on being down there sometime between the last week of October to the first week of November, and I'd love to view some live PR ball....I'd be in either San Juan or Orocovis (yea, i wonder how many other Jamaicans or English speakers I'll find in Orocovis:D)

I was hoping I'd reach there sooner, I would've loved to catch a Sevilla FC match, but ahh well...

7. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    I am sorry but this excuse is not even close to flying. The wheel can't even take off on this one, much less the plane.

So what about other nations that have put in the little they have to get a league? Canada & Puerto Rico, despite not having a league anyone recognizes, should get a spot before Belize, Nicaragua, etc?

8. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

|
    |
    |
    V

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751437

9. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Please read my post again, no where did it say that they "should get a spot before Belize, Nicaragua, etc". In reality, they don't, all these team get into the qualifying round.

Saying that "it will not fly" doesn't make it so. The facts, as I stated them, are still true; you disagreeing with them doesn't make them less true.

It looks like you are having a hard time accepting the fact that teams from Canada and PR should have a path to the CCL (professional league or not).

10. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    And I am still asking what about the ones who decided to invest time and money to get a league?

Because what you are saying is qualying as a hand-me-down and we are getting tired of hand-me-downs

11. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If Canada can't support a hockey league by itself, how the hell can you expect them to support a soccer one?

Seriously, soccer is like the 6th or 7th most popular sport in this country way behind Lacrosse for god sakes, LACROSSE!.

The prairies don't give a damn about it, it's impossible to play in the North and the Atlantic cities are too small to support a team so realistically, The only cities that can support a team are Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Also, what's wrong with sharing leagues with the US? That's they way it's been done here since the old days. The US and Canada have a type of relationship you won't see in other parts of the world.

12. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    My answer is that they should get a spot as well (let me check, they do).

My position is that every member of the confederations should have a path (might be a long one) to the CCL (spots allocation is to be done by associations not by leagues). I believe this statement to be true even for associations which don't have a professional league. I also believe that is is up to each association to decide how the spots (or spot) allocated to it are to be given to teams.

Why do you see a PR team having a path to the CCL via the CFU as a "hand-me-down"? Why is a Canadian team getting a spot in the qualifying round a "hand-me-down"? At least in these two cases (this year) it looks like the teams actually justified getting a qualifying spots by advancing to the group stage.

13. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    [​IMG]

14. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You must be the reincarnation of gethomas or something.

15. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well we have a league and money has been invested in it. At the Sep.5 Vancouver vs Islanders game the Federation president gave the first oficial answer.

The PR Soccer League 1 Division team that finish first will get a auto spot to the CFU wail a liguilla will be played between PR USL sides (Islanders) and the second, third and four place teams of the PRSL 1 for the last spot.

Are you happy now? The Islanders now have two play two tournaments and the preliminary rounds just so they can make it in the CCL group stage.

16. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    Well, I am glad you said that.

Seeing that MLS itself does not deserve any more then 2 slots, let alone 4, MLS should get the 4 slots if the US & Canada combined themselves and play one league together.

The one slot that was being given to Canada then should be given to Costa Rica and everyone is happy.

17. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    Why? Because the truth hurts?

18. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    Sounds fair. If Puerto Rico keeps growing and showing, then we might have to give them a direct spot into the preliminary stages.

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leagues are NOT given the slots! What's so difficult to grasp about this concept. The slots are given to the federations and they allocate them out. So the USSF can not, theoretically, give one of it's slot to a team outside of it's federation...whether the team plays in a league based in the area or not. See Cardiff and Swansea...

20. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    But you guys just said you have a history of sharing leagues....

You can't call it fair to have Canadian teams with two options to qualify, can't u?

21. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you purposely ignore the rest of the post, or are you just being a burro? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have a problem with what you proposed. True, the U.S. and Canada have a long history of integrating leagues, but you tell me...how many of those other sports go on to regional and global tournaments? None. Not the NBA and not MLB, so it's a non-issue in those leagues. I feel like I'm trying to explain long division to my dog with you on this (not that you're a dog, but just thick headed, or maybe just a case of selective reading)...it's like you just don't get it.

22. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Repped.

Funny how the UNCAF folks want to lump all of North America together yet all the UNCAF countries are listed individually. The CFU I can understand to an extent.

Canada is a separate association from the USSF and the MLS and the USL. The 3 Canadian teams play a home-and-away tournament to determine their entrant - IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MLS OR USL OR ANY OTHER LEAGUE.

Puerto Rico is a separate association from the USSF and the MLS and the USL. The Islanders qualified by finishing well enough in a CFU tournament (I won't pretend to know the inner workings of how the CFU tourney was completed, but...) - IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MLS OR USL OR ANY OTHER LEAGUE.

The fact that MTL and PRI are in the CCL and are second division teams is coincidental.

Also repped.

Stop hatin' already.

23. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008

[​IMG]

We are talking about football (you know, the one that uses the foot, thus, foot+ball because your foot kicks the ball, not the handball sport that you call "football" even though you use your hand 99% of the time and wear pads and spandex).

We are not talking about the NBA, MLB, NHL, NHL2, etc. either

The fact remains that if the US & Canada wants to have their own combined league (which, as a matter of fact it does now) then they should share the slots together. We can't have Canadian teams having two options to get it like it was the case this year.

That essentially gives MLS 5 slots have Toronto went through.

BTW What is a burro? Is that like a corndog from New Jersey?

24. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off I don't know what the hell all the senseless dots and picture were meant to imply, soy Mexicano...pendejete.

Now, where to even begin...

Oh gosh, for someone who attempts to pass themselves off as aware of football you truly are quite a spectacular specimen of idiocy. The term "football" describes various codes of a particular game ranging anywhere from Association Football (Soccer) to Rugby Football (Rugby), Australian Rules Football, Gallic Football, and American Football (Gridiron). In a nutshell, football is a game that describes any game, played on foot (as opposed to horseback), on a field, and the game involving the actual players touch the object of play with their physical bodies (as opposed to a lacrosse stick and the like). So it has little to do with the fact that you actually use your feet to make contact with the ball. By your flawed logic, the game should in fact e called foot-knee-chest-headball, or just anything-but-your-arms ball you poor beefheaded bastard.

This, was precisely my point. What the hell is going on in that head of yours that is impeding this information to process properly? We're aren't talking about all those other leagues that the U.S. and Canada share...those sports don't have to deal with competing in regional tournaments, so in a since it's an apples to oranges argument. If you would have just taken to the time to look up the special cases of the teams i had previously mentioned (and Monaco) you would have salvaged some type of dignity and been saved from looking like even more of an ass than you already do.

"Should" has nothing to do with it. Like I mentioned earlier, to an extent it makes a certain amount of sense. Even though both federations would have to come to an agreement (with USSF basically giving one of it's slots away, it loses potential revenue...and I'm pretty sure they don't want to do that) and then send an official proposal to C'CAF for approval. However, with this, a whole new can of worms opens up in other (con)federations. There would be precedent for such teams as Cardiff and Swansea to want to qualify for European football through a tournament like the FA rather than the Welsch qualification, same thing goes for Monaco if they ever won Ligue Un again (all of this of course would probably never stand).

BTW, U.S. and Canada do not have "combined" leagues. Canada does not have a professional leagues as far as soccer, basketball, and baseball go. (might be able to throw hockey in there too, but I'm not too sure) They have been allowed to enter franchises into American leagues but in the end they are Canadian teams in U.S. leagues. Now, if the CFL and the NFL came together, then you'd have a combined leagues, but that's a different argument which I'm sure you have no interest in.

Oh gawd! I just realised that you're under the impression that Canadian teams had 2 possible routes of entry into the CCL. You're severly mistaken, again like Swansea and Cardiff City, Canadian teams can qualify ONLY through the round-robin Canadian championship held earlier this year...as was decided by the CSA. You know, a few minutes of research could save all this bandwith and make you look a lot smarter.

A burro, from where I'm from means a jackass.

25. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
    How about you provide reasonable links to back up your info because, so far, it all smells like bullshit.