2007 Washington Freedom W-League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by StarCityFan, May 16, 2007.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    They looked quite impressive when they beat the Freedom in Washington. (Well, Maryland.)

They were expecting to have everyone back from the Pan Am Games by the second round of the playoffs, but it didn't happen. That hurt. Nogueira's a menace.

2. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Of course if Rochester gets a time, they will have a case to get Abby as well.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they ever played the Freedom at full strength - they didn't have Formiga for the match at the Soccerplex, and they didn't have Formiga or Nogueira for the match in New Jersey.

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    You're right -- they didn't have Formiga in that one. And they still won. Lopsided score, though the teams looked evenly matched.

Nogueira-vs.-anybody, though, was an uneven matchup. She's got quite a future.

5. Leenstra11

Leenstra11 Member

Sep 24, 2005
    All good teams had to do without their best players; Vancouver missed a bunch, as did Soccer Plus Connecticut and Long Island Fury.

6. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Has anyone noticed that the Washington Freedom Soccer Club site is down? Their site expired 8/4/07 and it has yet to be renewed....

CRAP!

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not sure how contracts in the W-League work. Was Kreiger under contract? Is this a loan or has she just left?

10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that a team that doesn't pay its players wouldn't have a whole lot of say over what they do. I'd expect her back when she can go pro in 2009, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see her next year - she's been kind of an on-and-off Freedom player, anyhow.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ...well there's that.:rolleyes:

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's mentioned in this article about a new W-League team in the LA area that former Washington Freedom defender Skylar Little will be the assistant coach.

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Naimo moved to LA?? Wow! Didn't expect that. He was all set to coach Jersey in the new league.

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to an email from the Freedom, what the players are doing in the off-season:

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freedom central defender (and unsung heroine of the W-League tournament) Ali Krieger is on the USWNT roster for the upcoming Four Nations Tournament in China.