2007 MLS Cup - Trip for Philly MLS Supporters

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by CyphaPSU, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SoB :: MLS Cup Bus Trip Thread PbP/Recap [R]

Yeh... he's going for the Sweetie of the Year Award.
    Figures it might help him w/ the ladies (you know, the 13 year-olds)!
    Babylicious

2. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey guys it has taken me half a week to recover from the game, so this post is a little late.

I wanted to come over here and give you all serious props for your showing on Sunday.

I have unlimited respect for you coming to the game and throwing down as a huge ******** you to the league.

Props, e-fist pounds and a huge Dale Philly!

3. tFrable

tFrable New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Philadelphia

And typing in English. It's surely a Thanksgiving miracle.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

on the contrary ... it wasn't our intention to come to the game with that mentality, nor to play the role of hooligans. i felt like an embassador for our fair city during the SE tailgate, the lead-up to the game, at the half, and after the final whistle.

it was our plan, one we were very successful in executing, to show the league the intensity and passion displayed by philadelphia fans in general, and Sons of Ben specifically.

for every one person who now hates us because of this past sunday, there are four or five (like youself) who feel compelled to compliment us and our reason for being.

5. tFrable

tFrable New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Philadelphia

The only reason for the hate is that we were the closest target anyway. Oh... and we were in the middle of the Revs supporters. Hmm... that probably didn't help our lovable ambassadorship to begin with.

6. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Grazie, and thanx for having us.
    DC and the SE were great hosts -- and we loved the seats!
    ;)

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, Garber did say they want to try to add yet another team for 2009.

Maybe you guys will get lucky. You already travel pretty good without a team. Can't wait to see what you guys do with a team.

BTW: I love your Jolly Roger. Or rather, Jolly Ben. :D

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

technically the revs supporters were spread out in sections 127, 128, etc. WE were in one of the the general supporters sections, 228, hence the railing right in front of us. i think more revs fans came to the game than originally anticipated, which is why they ended up being next to us (and behind us) as well.

it's not like we purposely invaded and occupied THEIR section ...

9. Bmye

Bmye Member

Oct 7, 2007
    NE Philly

Not like were really complaining though.;) Cause were not gay!

10. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can see Toronto's supporters parallel with us in the pictures, but we were closer and travelled with more numbers and used the game to introduce ourselves.

11. tFrable

tFrable New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Philadelphia

I wasn't insinuating that we were in their section. I was just kind of unfortunate for them that so many happened to show up and got seated around our re-purchased tickets. But it did make us stand out being surrounded by navy. Fabulous, just fabulous. It was great exposure, really great.

12. Clocker

Clocker New Member

Nov 22, 2007

"I think your motives for your city are admirable". that doesn't sound like trolling to me. I'm 57 and yes , I've bought tix for soccer games before. Kraft made a nice gesture by providing busses for the fans who bought there own tix. I bet you wish you had an owner like that in Philly. My wife and I flew up from Florida for the game. We were sitting in section 227 row 6, end seat. there was this idiot in a liverpool shirt with your group that got in my face after Houstons 2nd goal. he acted like a 2yr old. saying "houston scored" in this high pitched grammar school voice. some representative for the sons of ben. "We weren't even an idea when we bought our seats". r u kidding? u don't even have a team and we were at the top of our division all year. we were looking forward to going to this game a long time ago. i made my post without name calling/insults. u called us massholes, pansies. the rev section was rocking. the whole first section was bouncing up and down, looking like it was ready to collapse. i don't know where this lack of noise and support is coming from. you're just trolling i guess.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clocker,

Not to get too much into the details of your post, but the Sons of Ben are a supporters group. They went about the process of buying tickets from DC United for MLS Cup 2007 just like every other supporters group in the country did. There was no "Houston Side" or "New England Side" it just pretty much worked out that way.

New England made the final and wound up having more people go than in the presale, thus enveloping the Sons of Ben (as well as Toronto FC's contingent).

There was no premeditated action in being anti-Revolution (counter Revolution:confused:), it just worked out that way.

Oh, and the Revolution dropped out of first place sometime around the All-Star break, it's not like NE ran away with the Eastern Conference from wire to wire.

14. Clocker

Clocker New Member

Nov 22, 2007

Ok, I get it Sundevil. Then the fault lies with MLS and their ticket policy. They should separate supporters sections throughout the stadium. I had Red Bull and Toronto supporters right in front of me, but they were only a couple of rows. No trouble from them. Your group was a presence that could have caused a lot of trouble. MLS should seat the teams supporters like they did and all others on the other side. that would eliminate conflict. but i guess thats too easy a fix. I hope i made sense. I started this morning with a 50/50 mix of rum and eggnog, polished off a bottle of merlot over dinner and have been pounding down (what else) Sam Adams ever since. gnite.

15. tFrable

tFrable New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Philadelphia

I'm going to start out with the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can look at it this way. If the intention, which I believe it was, was to get the Sons of Ben name and the obvious desire for a team out there, we definitely succeeded in that. Look at all the people that look for the Sons of Ben thread and feel the need to post. Clearly a sign that the presence is known. And that seemed to accomplish the mission of awareness.

16. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing evokes passion quite like jealousy.

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasn't at the game, but I will comment that these internet board threats of violence are quite irritating and have zero place in MLS; and it's galling to see it on this forum.

18. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me and you Cypha... I will meet you in the recess yard forum at 3PM!

We can hash out all of our differences there :)

19. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problem is some of the guys who came with members didn't behave. There's a picture of one guy (yellow jacket, blue shirt over his face) who clearly doesn't get what we're about. The kid in the Liverpool jersey I have gotten a couple of reports about him. We didn't create Sons of Ben to be hooligan wannabes and those folks that act like that, aren't welcome.

Todd, I agree. Zero place. We were having a great time taking the piss until some knuckleheads, on both sides, decided to eff it up for everyone.

20. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And we've shown the door in the past to people who acted as such, and will continue to do so.

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MOD NOTE

Why did the trolls wait to come in after I went to Thanksgiving dinner? Thanks SoB's for responding even-headedly and reporting the post(s) so that I could action it when I got home.

22. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even I behaved with my replies...

23. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, and it should be noted that I'm brewing a new batch of JFA tomorrow, hopefully for a January event of which we are in very initial planning.

24. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess its just easier for you to label a person a troll with an alternative viewpoint than have to actually deal with the points raised.

Thats sort of an ever growing issue on this soccer site over the years, people have forums and think that gives them some censorship power over unpopular speach. As soon as someone that has a different club in their profile comes along and challeneges the group think it gets labeled "trolling".

Honestly i doubt you have any clue what trolling is. So I will repost my points again on a subject that while being discussed on a forum that happens to be labeled SOB concerns all.

You guys are new to the game here in MLS. With that you may or may not be very aware of certain things and issues many of us have dealt with many times over. No one is accusing you of premeditating an incident with Revs fans, but if you all really think that being right in the middle of them at MLS Cup Final wasn't a potentially bad situation from the start, then i severely have to question the judgemnt of those running your club.

You have to realize that your mere presence alone was going to be irritating to the Revs fans. If you really thought that being there and singing back your songs over them as they are trying to support their club in the biggest game of their lives wasn't going to piss some people off then your really ignorant. If you are going to be there and THEN actually start to sing songs against NE and root against them and didnt think that would cause the situation to go from bad to worse, then your ignorant and stupid.

NE fans for better or worse have a reputaion of being a little less aggresive than some other groups. When i say if you pulled that with some other clubs you would have had a riot on your hands, its not some internet threat, its truth. I can think of at least 4 or 5 large supporters groups in MLS that wouldn't have put up that bullshit.

The reason you have people responding here is because it seems no one in your group is really that concerned or even accepting any responsibility for the entire incident. Instead of saying "my bad", we didnt think our actions through you act as if its completely normal for you to be in that section pissing off other fans.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I do find it rather disturbing that so many of you seem to think your innocent of any wrong here. I i think your a little lucky all that happened was some plastic bottle thorwing and some foul language, because it could have been much much worse and likely would have been if it were a different set of fans.

25. Bmye

Bmye Member

Oct 7, 2007
    NE Philly

Ok mommy, ill be sure to be safer next time.

Hes right yaknow, i mean you wouldnt pick on the nerdy kid in school right? Cause hed come next week with an AK-47 and grenades. Maybe we should be more careful with what we do . . . . :(

NAA!