2007 Gold Cup Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 24, 2007.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that's good news about the U20 appointment. A good performance on the FIFA stage would definitely trump any negatives from this match and, I'm sure, be a boost of confidence for Vaughn.

Also interesting to know that Gansner seems to be the third guy in Vaughn's crew insofar as FIFA matches. Looking at ages and experience, it makes sense and it's a good thing that they're paired up now going forth toward 2010.

Does anyone know if we're sending ARs to Copa America or is Toledo going solo?

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want to reserve comment until I've had a chance to watch the match. My FIOS program guide did not say which match was on and I assumed the Mexico match would be the late match. Hopefully FSC replayed the Mexico match in the wee hours last night and I have it on tape.

That said, I watched a replay on Youtube of the highlights of the match. I see more of what was troubling in Vaughn's first match in Miami. This game really seemed to get away from him and he looked flustered and frustrated.

Question, why wasn't the Mexican #2 shown a yellow card for his tackle and why on earth was Aleman sent off for a second yellow. Did Vaugh think that was simulation?

Also, the Mexican clearly dove in overtime on the play where Saborio was sent off. There was no or incidental contact and he went down like a ton of bricks.

Blanco clearly was hammered. I doubt though he was hit in the face.

These players are clowns of the highest order. Their behavior should bring to question whether they should ever have any kind of gainful employment beyond soccer. If you are going to stoop to such levels, how could you be a man of honor or character. I have no respect for these players. I say next time let them hack themselves to pieces. That's the match they want and that they created. Venting over.

All that said, Vaughn and his crew should have done a better job of sanctioning simulation. It was a very poor job of recognizing what is a dive and what isn't.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, obviously, it was:

Mexico:Costa Rica - VAUGHN (USA)
    Honduras: Guadeloupe - NAVARRO (CAN)

I didn't do incredibly well on my last round of predictions, so I could be way off on the semis, but it seems a bit obvious that the next round will be:

USA:Canada - ARCHUNDIA (MEX)
    Mexico:Guadeloupe - BATRES (GUA)

If that does hold and Mexico makes the final, for the life of me, I couldn't tell you who would get the match. PINEDA (HON), maybe? The only alternative I see is sitting BATRES for the next round and letting him get a second final.

4. thearbiter

thearbiter Member

May 24, 2007
    Albucrackee
    TV did not show any good replays of the Saborio incident. The information came from the JAR and then the card was given by the referee. I suspect the JAR had the best angle as it happened right in from of him. I give him the benefit of the doubt until another angle is produced. It was getting to a point where it was obvious Saborio would not finish this game. By my unofficial count, he committed 8-10 fouls. Maybe half of these after his first caution. He was playing on borrowed time by the time he was sent off.

5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    didn't see the game, where can I see replays of these events?

6. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they came pretty close to manhandling him. Terry Vaughn's not a little guy, thankfully, but they didn't respect his personal space and had were touching him and yelling in his face. If I put myself in his boots at the time, I'm sure I'd have been in fear of ending up in hospital.

I wish they had the guts to give both yellow for Blanco and the red.

Yes, consulted the AR. May even have been the AR's call. There was no contact, ie a brush or nothing. The only correct call would be a yellow to the player that went down as if he'd been elbowed or head butted, neither of which happened. It's was a 100% fabrication.
    I so wish players that feigned contact and injury like this to get a player sent off would get double digit international match bans. It was just gross and because of the tenor of the game, Terry and AR bought it, hook, line and sinker.

Actually too on the red that wasn't, ie it was only a first yellow after all, that was a soft call too. Both the Mexican and CR players got yellow, but the Mexican player instigated it and the CR player got a yellow for standing there and taking it instead of falling over and pretending he was hurt. He got punished for doing the right thing.

It doesn't. Truthfully, it's says a lot more about sportsmanship in Mexico being dead than it says about Vaughn though.

7. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    You can go to the AR's and 4th 1 time you cannot go 2 times looks like bad paperwork and makes it look like the team does not know what they are doing.
    As for the gesturing of the yellow card, if you read the MEMO it does not say MANDATORY And it is a directive for the MLS.

As for who is going to the U20's with Terry it is the same crew.
    When is Esse going to figure it out that he needs to have more than 1 crew ready.
    Looks like we will not be represented at the 2010 world cup

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA:Canada - ARCHUNDIA (MEX)

So I got the first half right. Batres for the other semi and a mystery man for the final?

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MORENO (PAN) had the second game. So, unless something really strange is going on, apparently BATRES (GUA) can get the final twice. It's odd, but it's a good thing.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Moreno distinguished himself once again as one of the raising star referees for CONCACAF. Another solid effort from him.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, sportmanship is a significant issue for Mexico, but that does not excuse the poor performance by Vaughn that evening. He had a terrible match in many different aspects, from foul recognition, failure to identify simulation, to outward frustration with the antics on the part of the players. Best to regroup and learn from this experience. Vaughn up until the last two matches had been fortunate to have teams that came to play and not flop or beat the hell out of each other. Hopefully, he learns to deal better with it the next time.

12. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really can't disagree with your view here Alberto but I'm puzzled as to how a boot in the face (by the GLP left back) does not warrant a caution?

13. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Was that the play toward the end of the match, right in front of one of the ARs, where the Guadaloupe player not only stuck his boot in the Mexico player's face but then basically wrapped his leg around the guy's head and kept it locked up the whole way down to the ground as they fell, then sorta cleated him as he hit the ground? He REALLY got his money's worth on that one. If ref or AR had seen that very clearly, it almost could have been red for violent conduct, IMO. It changed from initially just a careless maybe reckless high-foot challenge into fairly violent intentional incident by the time it was all done.

In some ways, it reminded me of a handling situation in which the player initially has ball hit arm by accident and there's no infringement, and then the player realizes the ball is right there in the air by his arm so he goes ahead and slaps the ball forward to make the most out of it.

It seemed to me that, once the Guadaloupe player realized that he had the Mexico player in a compromising position due to the careless kick at/to the face, he instinctively took advantage of the situation and escalated it into a more physical finale than was initially necessary.

14. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was definitely in the first half and AR1 could not have been any closer.

It looked liked something you'd see in a Jackie Chan movie.

15. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999

I think Batres has already done the final twice, 2002 and 2005.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. You're right (I had no idea he did it in 2002). I guess that certainly means he is allowed to have it more than once. Here's hoping CONCACAF gives it to him a third time. I don't see anyone else in this tournament that can handle that match.

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it doesn't excuse it entirely. I think there can be no real excuse for not having good records on which player has a card and stuff of that nature. I give him a lot of credit for not throwing about 4 of the CR players off when they mobbed him though. He shouldn't have to put up with that. It's bad the he (or I think maybe it was his AR) fell for the simulation, but I still that's down to players and respect for their own game. To blame refs for missing it and laud players for being clever enough to get away with it, just goes against my fundamental sense of why we play sports, I guess. I really, really, really wish there was video justice for that sort of thing--swift and painful--if I had the power, that mexican player would get a 10-match ban and the announcers would be made to discuss, during every game of the ban period, how he wasn't playing because he being punished for disgracing the game by faking an injury to get another player sent off. We need to shame those sorts antics out of existence because they ruin games more than any referring performance or lack there of could ever do.