2005 Summer Transfers Thread

Discussion in 'Everton' started by zerorespects, Mar 7, 2005.

1. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    We should get some cheap Hungarians to fill out our team. :D

Jk...no offense to anyone.

Seriously..we need another defender and fast. Anyone know how long Per is out for?

2. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    I think we can add Aston Villa to your list...

Wasn't the reason that Everton weren't going after Baros was that the transfer fee was too high (~8M) and his salary demands too high (>35k/week)? Now Villa are getting him for what we paid/pay for Beattie, yes?! Perhaps I have misremembered the issues...but why does this seem to keep happening to us?!?!

From http://www.football365.com/news/story_160682.shtml:

Villa are believed to have agreed an initial £6million deal which could rise by another £500,000 based on add-ons.

Baros is understood to be happy with the terms offered by Villa of around £30,000 a week which is a slight increase on his current salary with the Reds.

3. toffeman

toffeman New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    brooklyn,ny usa
    "How is that Bolton manage to get tons of quality players on free transfers or loan deals?"

David Moyes is not interested in loan players for one season, as the great Rob Fox has been explaining on Toffeeweb, he will only buy for long term. ( Arteta was with an option to buy)

4. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    We supposedly made a £12m bid for Dirk Kuijt from Feyenoord, but they want £18m. If Beattie is worth £6.5m, then Kuijt is worth double that. I dunno about the £18m though -- that's pretty steep. I've seen him play (and I'll see him live on Sunday) and he's awesome.

5. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Must be talking about a different Newcastle, mate. I take it you've heard of our striker problems. We also tried to inquire for Kuijt... no deal there. Owen, Boa Morte, Anelka, and now Luque, all fallen through the cracks.

Just be glad you guys actually have someone who can score and have been able to get a striker in the last few years.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Former Liverpool star Owen declined a return to Merseyside from Real Madrid while Feyenoord claimed an Everton club record offer of £10 million fell short of their valuation Kuyt. Moyes said the Dutch club insisted on £12.85 million for Kuyt - a price he was not prepared to pay.

Speaking about his moves to bring in quality players, the Everton manager said: "We have been in contact with Michael Owen's advisors. Unfortunately Michael doesn't see Everton as the club he would choose at this present time."

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=1832032005

7. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona
    any thoughts on the ferrari transfer or the van der meyde?

8. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I don't know much about Ferrari, but bluedaddy says he's a terrible central defender but decent on the wing. I think a warm body sounds good.

van der Meyde would be a good move. But it won't happen.

9. toffeman

toffeman New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    brooklyn,ny usa
    Ferari seems to me as mistake prone as Yobo and VDM is really needed, KK played above himself last year and is already tiring now and out of ideas.

VDM is the man we need since tonite against Villareal even in the dying minutes we never resorted to long hopeless balls but instead tried to go round the flanks so a real winger is needed. I also don't see how Osman doesn't deserve a starting role.
    He is tricky, creates and scores.

10. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Ferrari had promise a couple of years ago but he was downright terrible last year with Roma. He was once considered a future NT player but as of right now he is nowhere close to it. Hopefully, he rebounds with Everton.

11. viclindsay

viclindsay New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Manhattan
    If only Championship Manager was a true judge of talent. Ferrari was always class for me.

12. viclindsay

viclindsay New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Manhattan
    Let's keep our heads up. There's still a week left and we still have UEFA Cup football on offer at Goodison.

Though not much in the "legitimant" press, I'm still hearing lots of rumours about Andy van der Meyde, improved offers for Kuyt, a swoop for Robbie Keane, Robert Earnshaw, or Louis Saha, as well as new moves for Michael Ball, Daniel Agger, and Dickerson Etuhu.

Since we couldn't get Michael Owen from Real Madrid, we might make do with Javier Portillo instead. Supposedly scored over 700 goals as a junior and youth player.

13. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Same here....he was always consistently a 7/8 for me every game.

14. viclindsay

viclindsay New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Manhattan
    Official Everton homepage is reporting that Andy van der Meyde and Matteo Ferrari are both at Goodison for medicals today. Both should be in by the end of the weekend, though they may not be able to play against Fulham.

Apparently we have yet to agree a fee for van der Meyde, but the deal seems to be sailing through.

Pistone is out for the season, so Moyes says we may need to sign a left back as well. Any ideas who we can get quick?

15. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Since it's being reported, Newcastle will no doubt swoop in at the last minute and outbid us for both of them. Perhaps it's the pessimist in me, but I don't expect either deal to happen. :(

16. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Ferrari is a done deal. One year loan and he'll be moving from central defense to left back to replace Pistone.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/index.php?page_id=7369

Van der Meyde is supposed to happen by Tuesday. We've agreed to a fee, we just have to work out personal terms.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's Van der Meyde?

18. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    A dutch winger. Ajax -> Inter Milan. A regular in the national side. In the same sort of mold as Zenden or Overmars.

Can play upfront but better getting forward down the flanks. He would represnt quite a coup for us.

19. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care which direction he comes from as long as he can make plays and put the pill in the bottle, yo.

rock

bford

20. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    VdM can play I think both wing positons...would be anexcellent addition. Ferrari sucks, but I still think he's better than Pistone.

21. BigDavyG

BigDavyG New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Schaumburg, IL
    A bit harsh on ferrari I think.
    Can't wait to seal the van der myde deal so that kilbane can take a back seat.

If we can get our hands on a half-decent striker now I'll be happy.

also yet again we get done no favours in the uefa cup draw - dynamo bucharest one of the toughest ties we could have got :(

22. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad Owen's been acting like such a prima donna lately and turned down our offer.

Wasn't he a fan of the Toffees when he was growing up?

23. viclindsay

viclindsay New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Manhattan
    Well, it's currently after 10:00 PM in England and there's been no news of the van der Meyde deal going through officially. Ferrari may still be elligable to play tomorrow, but all you Kilbane haters will have to put up with him for another week.

As a side note, I personally think he's been quite good for us. Moyes is building this team on pure dedication and unceasing work effort. Players like Kilbane, Carsley, Bent, and Hibbert all fit this bill... even if they aren't the most technically gifted players on the pitch.

My love for Kilbane aside, I am still very eager for AvdM to join the blue revolution.

24. BigDavyG

BigDavyG New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Schaumburg, IL
    VDM is completing his medical at the start of next week and the deal should be done by Tuesday.
    Not sure what you or moysie sees in kilbane but I'll be glad when he isn't a regular first teamer (sorry if he's a close family member of yours or some other relative but he's just awful imo !!!).

As for owen, well he's just a very greedy young man and ultimately he wants to end up back at anfield someday which completly rules out a move to goodison. Mind you why anyone would want to pay 8 figures plus for a teams 6th choice striker is beyond me.