2005 NJ Wildcats Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by Charge!, May 20, 2005.

1. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Puleeeez.

Consider the competition. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

2. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I mean players like Kasey White, Kelly hammond, Kristen edmonds... not the USWNT members... I mean, the club has lots of talented players that play to the level of the USWNT.

Alot of players have had some really good games, even when the WNT is not there

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the facility like that the Wildcats play at? I guess I'll get to see it on tv, since they are hosting the final. Also, what's their ownership like?

4. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    You are right on charge fan.....There is more to this Wildcat team than just the USWNT players. there are players on this team that are just as good and can play at the USWNT level if given a chance if not better than some on it already. It comes down to preference. This team doens't exist entirely based on USWNT players.
    Alot of credit should go to these other players just as much but the norm is the USWNTplayers will return and get all the publicity and news for the Wildcats during live games etc..etc...etc...But its nice to have all these players available during the seasson to help out when they can... GO WILDCATS

5. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    The testament to that is that they have not lost a game or given up a goal when the WNT members are not there.

6. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    the only thing it stinks b/c the wildcats aren't just losing USWNT players for htis weekend. They will also be without heath and redmond who have filled in nicely in those. Now this weekend those groups all seem to be gone at the same time.
    Wildcts can do it......what matters most is Aug.5-7th.

7. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Have not lost a game or given up a goal to other W-league teams....a different story in the friendly games against the Freedom and the U21's. Not to take anything away from the Wildcats, but they could use a lot more games against higher-caliber opponents like those two. 7-0 and 9-0 games do not prepare you for playoffs.

I do agree that some fine players get lost in the shadows of the big name players. Kelly Hammond, Lisa Grubb, Jen Redmond, and Kacey White have all done a great job in midfield--Kelly looked particularly good against the U21's last week (something to prove to the U21 coach, perhaps?). A lot of other players have had solid seasons--Kate up top, Alicia wherever the coach asks her to play, Rochelle, Beth, Bonnie, and Sarah D. in the back, as well as the backup keepers. I was just saying that last week's game was against one of the weakest teams in the league, so even for the Wildcats lesser-known players, it wasn't much competition. Gaudy stats against weak teams aren't worth much. The next two games should be a better test, particularly Sunday's game, since Ottowa's 11-1 and won't be missing nearly as many players as the Wildcats. If the cats can win on Sunday, that'll be a heck of an accomplishment since they'll still be missing all their U.S. adult and U21 nats.

8. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    true but the only player from the U-21 that the wildcat has really had at games this season is O'rielly and we do miss her....Tarp hasn;t played hardly in any games for the wildcats....

9. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salvy and I are on the air, and we're in a major delay.....anyone who wants to submit us any questions, comments, shout outs....send it to mail @ sundaynightsoccer.com

We'll get to it during the match

Thanks, Josh

10. Martyn

Martyn New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Hello there, I am the creator of www.rachel-unitt.net

I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of her playing for the Wildcats, if you do please could you post links to them on her or email me.

Many thanks

Martyn

11. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Big game tomorrow afternoon in Ottawa. Although both teams have already made the playoffs, I expect an intense game.

Ottawa definetly wants to win this game.

12. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot on the line tomorrow. Here's a few interesting facts:

* Most importantly, this game could mean a lot when it comes to playoff seeding. If Ottawa wins on Sunday and eventually advances to the Final Four in New Jersey...then they will likely be the #1 seed in the Final Four. If New Jersey wins on Sunday, they will finish as the W-League's only unbeaten team, and thus will clinch the #1 seed in the Final Four.

* The Wildcats have a 27-game regular season unbeaten streak on the line. They haven't lost since July 27, 2003...when they lost 2-0 to...OTTAWA.

* If the Wildcats win or draw on Sunday, they will become only the 2nd team in W-League history to finish unbeaten in back-to-back seasons (Chicago Cobras went 14-0-0 in 1999 & 2000). They will also be the 11th team ever to finish unbeaten in a season.

* If the Wildcats shutout Ottawa, they will break the all-time W-League record for fewest goals allowed in a season, with 1. (Current record: Chicago Cobras allowed 2 in 2000 and the New York Magic allowed 2 in 1998)

The Boston game was probably their toughest test of the season, and the Ottawa game could be even better.

We will have the broadcast of the game beginning at 2:00 p.m. EST LIVE from Ottawa -- check out www.njwildcats.com and click on the TEAMLINE link to tune in.

NOTE: Thanks to those of you who wrote email during our last broadcast. Unfortunately, we won't have internet access in Ottawa, so we won't be able to check email, but even still, we still love to hear feedback, or any comments/questions. If you have something to say, include your name & location and send it to -- mail 'at' sundaynightsoccer.com -- (I'm trying avoid this address getting bombarded by spammers, so I didn't provide the link...hopefully you can figure out the email address)

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good to see that you are broadcasting the game in Ottawa. If you are doing it from the 'press box', be warned it isn't that big. :)

14. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Tarpleyand Fletcher played in the first 4 games this season, the first 3 were road games

O'Reilly is going to be there if she can... She caught a redeye from california to make one game.

15. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    i am not disagreeing wit you...my point was that for the season O"rielly is really the only one that has been there for alot of the games..the others have been gone due to vacations and various things. It wasn't a slam to anyone just that when they are available they haven't played and chosen to do other things with th e exception of H.O And really i think her name is fletcher this is only soccer thing this u-21..other misses mainly have been outside activites from what i heard. White adn Hammond both were gone for camps but didn;t miss games i don't think. wildcats have done well for themselves with their team they have.....a loss willl not kill them...i've seen it be a good tihng if channeled correct....eigher way tomorrow here comes the wildcats for the finals. :)

16. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Friday's game

Game finnaly started at 9:50

karina Kept us entertained as she got everyone to sing happy birthday to Bonnie Young...and did the play by play for the wildcats game of soccer Tennis. They also did the autograph session before the game.

We Were having a halftime Bridal gown display(Sponsor) and they did their thing before the game started...

Although most of the crowd left at half time, it turned out to be a pretty decent game

17. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    wildcats lose.....didn't sound like they had real game plan...1st half all defensive and then decided to go a little bit more offensive 2nd half and it cost them the game......

it moght be a good lose for the team...and good timing to start focusing now on the big picture ahead

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Wildcats seemed to be missing a number of starters for the game this afternoon. Ottawa had much of the run of play and probably should have won 2-0 or 3-0. They blew a few chances in the box.

New Jersey will be very tough when they have all of their players back.

19. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The [R] means you can post the score

Since no one seems to want to post the actual score of the match, I'm guessing that it must have been a 1-0 victory for Ottawa. :D

20. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: The [R] means you can post the score

Oh, I thought I read the result in the message above me. Sorry :)

The Wildcats only had three subs with them. Karina LeBlanc was easily the most popular Wildcat of the day. Little kids were asking for her autograph at the end of the game. Looking forward to the games in Ottawa this coming weekend.

21. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada

I think NJ had more staff on hand then subs!

I just got back to Toronto from the game ... it was a pretty decent game, but you could totally tell that NJ was missing their starters and offensive players -- can't think of any good scoring chances for the Wildcats minus that one play where Taryn came up with a big save on the near post.

NJ got into Ottawa very late on Saturday night after a veeeerrrryyyy looooooong bus trip. Hopefully they had a safe trip home!

22. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

8 out of 26 players were not available for this weekend, leaving 16 possible players.... Don't worry, they will all be back next week and for the remainder of the season.

Beating the Wildcats by one goal is impressive. considering that the remaining players on this team are very good. They handled Boston easily on Friday Night, so the quick turn around, long ride and missing a player or two and Ottawa did not score any more than one...

This is basically the team that tied the Freedom Reserves - minus Yankey

Cat Reddick and Christie Welsh are away with the United States Women's National Team for its game against Iceland on Sunday afternoon while Heather O'Reilly, Kendall Fletcher, and Lindsay Tarpley are all with the US Under-21 National Team in Sweden for the Nordic Cup. In addition, England star Rachel Yankey is still out of the country and is not expected back until next week while youngsters Tobin Heath and Elisabeth Redmond are with their club team PDA Wildcats preparing for the US Youth Soccer U-17 National Championship.

23. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Great Article on the Wildcats and Kasey White

Wildcats

24. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Freedom office is talking up tomorrow night's match:

So how close to full strength are you guys going to be?

25. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Latham shouldn't be there. I'm surprised they left out Karina LeBlanc in their listing of "international stars", especially since she played in the WUSA too.