2005 NJ Wildcats Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by Charge!, May 20, 2005.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    If I can make a suggestion that we have a catch-all place to have pre-match, post-match and all things Wildcats, let it be in here :)

Tonight they play at Western Massachusetts; gametime 7:30PM and can be heard, as well as ALL Wildcats games here: http://www.teamline.cc/teampages.html?teamcode=0851 .

Tomorrow night, of course, the 7:30PM home opener against the New Hampshire Lady Phantoms. This will be nice for the Wildcats as they'll play 6 of the next 8 at their home ground of Mercer County Community College. 'Course, they pay for it by playing 4 of their last 5 on the road, 2 of which are exhibitions against the Washington Freedom reserves (7/9 at New Brunswick and 7/30 at Boyds, MD).

Should be good :D

2. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Wildcats pummelled Western Mass 4-0; O'Reilly brace, as some call it, and Kate Sands closed it out. :D They're now 3-0 on the year.

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    NJ-New Hampshire [R]

A record 1,024 for the home opener at Mercer County Community College and witnessed a massacre; O'Reilly, Latham, ?? , Redman, White, Tarpley, Benson (yay! :D ), Latham, Kara Hammond in that order. 8-0 final and it wasn't even that close. You'd think that playing the night before would have tired them out, especially with a bus ride from Massachusetts, but this was just pure domination.

Next up will be the first of two Sunday afternoon games, May 29 vs. Vermont at 2:30PM. Luckenbill is going to think she's in a shooting gallery, as she's their GK.

*ebil :p *

4. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Wildcats 8 – 0 over Lady Phantoms

JENNY SCORES !!!! and I missed it….

I saw 1 out of the eight goals, the first one. I was too busy assisting on game day.

So over a 1000 people were there and I helped out to set some of it up and I must have talked to 900 people at least. They had a commemorative program with Heather’s picture on it that was too good.

The game day Staff shirts were really nice and went well with my blue “WILDSIDE” face.

Anyway, I see Benny after the game and I told her I only saw one goal. ( I did not even know she scored) she asked if I saw her goal or the 18 she missed, well I did see several that she missed…..

The Wildcats played 2 games in 2 days and still looked like the overpowered the other team, I was watching at one end of the field with an obstructed view of the other half, I did not see any other player for ten minutes other than Sarah Allen-Knight (GK)

Anyway Lindsay Tarpley will will be gone for about two weeks as will Jenny Benson.... Jenny's friend Gia made it to the game last night, so that and the goal made it special.

5. massimigliano

massimigliano New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Boooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiingggggggggggggg

I was at the game last Saturday and I was very disappointed with what I saw. There was no competition whatsoever and unfortunately I have serious doubts that there will be any for the rest of the season.

Yes it's great that the Wildcats are bringing all these great players in, but what is the point if there's never a doubt who's going to win. Soccer is so much more than that. What excites me about soccer is the thrill before and during the game when you wish your team will win.

Unless you are a kid, in the long run the Wildcats are boring to watch. I’m not planning on going to see them again. I rather go and support the Philadelphia team. At least there will be some excitement.

Let's just hope the WCats won't sign Kelly Smith nor Pichon. If anything, some other team should sign them, then we'll start seeing some excitement with the W-league.

Having said that, I must say that I was VERY impressed with Heather O'Reilly. She really is a talent.

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Re: Boooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiingggggggggggggg

Smith and Pichon are still with the 'Cats; they're prepping for Euro 2005 and should be back in July. But why not support both? And as for certainties, just ask the Vancouver Lady Whitecaps about that. Upsets can happen.

7. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Re: Boooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiingggggggggggggg

I did see 3 great games last year, 2 goal diff, last 2 coming in the last 10.

Don't forget that many teams just don't try to field the best that is in the area and do not pursue players or have the desire to work hard to make it worth the players interests.

The wildcats work hard to put the best product on the field and connect the ladies with clubs and jobs and put together the host families to make it work.

There is a lot of time invested in getting players to come out.

The real competition will occur during the playoffs. for all the games they won last year, they were still second place in the end.

Untill other teams start to use the Wildcats as a model, this will continue to happen. but please come out to see them, how many times will you be able to walk up to these girls and get autographs and pictures.

I have been lucky to see Mia play 3 times in my life, but none will compare to seeing her in Villanova due to how close you get to the field. I really hate the stadiums when trying to get an autograph from someone 10 feet below.

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Tomorrow at 2:30, Vermont drops by, and it's possible they could make a game of it, with Luckenbill in goal for them. Who exactly are we losing to trainingcamp duty (I thought I read Benny, Heather O, Tarpley, maybe a player or two more) ?

I'll be listening in on the webcast nonetheless :)

9. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    LeBlanc is in Europe with Canada.

10. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    From the Wildcats Website

Among the notable absences for the Wildcats this weekend will be forward Christine Latham and midfielder Jenny Benson, who have temporarily returned home, as well as goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc, who is currently in Europe with the Canadian National Team.

Defenders Janine and Rochelle Willis will also most likely miss the game due to graduation festivities at Princeton University.

The Wildcats also sent seven players to the combined US U-20 and U-21 National Team camps this week and while all seven players are expected to be in uniform, their degree of game-readiness remains to be seen.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Tarpley told me last week that she would not be here. unless that has changed

11. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Wildcats-Vermont [R]

Well, one streak is over but another continued. The 'Cats were pressed today by the Voltage, and they actually conceded a goal (first in 393 minutes), but they won 3-1 on tallies by Lisa Grubb, Heather O'Reilly and Casey White (an insurance goal in second-half stoppage, two assists as well). Vermont's Caroline Vanderpool becomes the answer to a trivia question as she ended the scoreless streak with a 31st minute goal. Luckenbill did her best to keep it respectable as she faced 25 NJ shots, with 9 saves, most requiring considerable effort.

No Benson, Tarpley, Latham or LeBlanc (latter 2 on NT duty with Canada) today.

Wildcats are 5-0, comfortably ahead of NY, New England and Western Mass (18 points to 6 for each of them). Next game - next Saturday at Long Island (1-2, Northeast Division). Next home game is 6/11 against W. Mass with both start times at 7:30PM.

12. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Wildcats-Vermont [R]

And a Canadian and a former teammate of LeBlanc w/Montreal last season to boot!

Thanks for the report Charge!

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, what a great game! A posting last week complained about boring games, this was the opposite. Game was closer than score shows, as final goal was late in game (90th minute). Luckenbill put on a goaltending clinic! It’s a pleasure alone to watch Cat, no more than her setting up plays for White and O’Reilly. Vermont brought 13 players, and Wildcats had only 5 on the bench, substituting 3.

14. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

This was a good solid game

Luckenbill was tough to beat in goal and for a good portion of the game it was 2-1.

I have to say Luck looks great and displayed the form we had seen when she was with the Courage in the WUSA. She looked 100X better than in the FCT in philly

I spoke to her after the game and she said she was having a lot of fun playing for Vermont. She was happy to have somewhere to play. She also said that they were missing 2 starting defenders and that would have helped to settle down the first 15 minutes of play. (She was not blaming this for losing, everyone could see that they struggled on Defence early on) They have been playing good competitive soccer since the season began.

My Daughter was one of the ball girls and had a ton of fun. Those who came got a great afternoon of Soccer. and no one had to wait to get an Autograph or picture with the players. some pics are up on my site.

Wildcats

NJW: Grubb (White) 7th minute
    NJW: O'Reilly (White) 14th minute
    VLV: Vanderpool (Bouchard) 31st minute
    NJW: White 90th minute

Just because one game is a blowout, don't give up on them. Some games like this one could have gone either way.

BTW - one of Vermonts losses came in OT, i did not think they had OT at this stage of the league (Lucks was a bit miffed when the Ref called for OT)

15. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

Heather O and Lindsay Tarpley were called up today for the Virginia Beach 6/26 USWNT tilt with Canada, so they will probably not be in Winslow, NJ for the game with the S. Jersey Banshees two days earlier. Congrats to both! :)

16. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Wildcats Welcome Lori Fair

The United States Soccer Federation announced today that four New Jersey Wildcats players have been called in for the United States Women's National Team camp leading up to the team's first home match of 2005. USWNT head coach Greg Ryan has called Cat Reddick, Heather O'Reilly, and Lindsay Tarpley in for the camp along with a fourth Wildcats player whose signing will be announced later this week. The USWNT will face Canada on June 26 at 3 p.m. at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex in Virginia Beach, VA. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN2.

Lori Fair to Sign with the Wildcats

17. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Wildcats Welcome Christie Welsh not LF

OK, I was incorrect
    The New Jersey Wildcats added another star to their lineup today with the announcement of the signing of United States Women's National Team forward Christie Welsh. The addition of Welsh gives the Wildcats five players with full USWNT experience including four players that have been called up for the June 26 game against Canada in Virginia Beach. Welsh will be available for this Saturday's game against the Long Island Lady Riders pending the receipt of her international clearance from France, where she was recently playing for Olympique Lyonnais.

18. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Wildcats - Long Island [R]

Well, it took Christie Welsh all of 384 seconds to make her mark on the Wildcats tonight as she scored the first goal in a 4-0 demolition of the Long Island Lady Riders at Stony Brook, NY. She also assisted on Heather O'Reilly's 35th minute tally. Kelly Hammond and Reddick scored second-half goals.

Game recap here

Welsh will make her Mercer County Community College debut next Saturday at the normal start of 7:30 when Western Massachusetts drops by. Didn't see Benny in the lineup; hope she's OK...

19. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Re: Wildcats - Long Island [R]

Benny was not available as she is in Colorado, she is hoping to be back on the 11th

from a previous post
    midfielder Jenny Benson, who have temporarily returned home(sort of),

20. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

Reddick named to W-League Team of the Week. Congrats to the bride-to-be :D

Saturday's 7:30PM game v. Western Mass (3-2 W-League) kicks off a stretch of five of the next 6 at Mercer County Community College. A 7:30 exhibition vs. the 'Big Apple All-Stars' follows Wednesday, then a 5PM matinee on 6/19 (same day as the Euro 05 women's final) against NY. They close out the month on 6/24 against the South Jersey Banshees at Winslow, NJ, and 6/29 back at MCCC vs. Long Island, both at 7:30.

21. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

Benny should be returning in time for tomorrow's match.

22. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

Wonder if Kelly will be back with the Wildcats in the next 10 days or so. :(

Maybe some good will come out of the destruction of any further interest in Euro '05 due to England losing to the Swedes today; Hope Powell having coached her final game for the England WNT, for example. :mad:

23. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Wildcats - Western Mass [R]

Wildcats had a little rougher go of it than expected, but they shut out Western Massachusetts 2-0 at MCCC. Goals by Welsh and Elisabeth Redmond were the difference.

Game recap here

24. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Looks like Pichon will be on her way home too... [R]

Due to France being eliminated by Germany today at Euro 2005 3-0, which just about extinguishes any interest I have in the outcome of it, from a Charge alumni POV. I'm sure we'll find out from the Wildcats website exactly when she and Kelly return to the states.

*sigh*

25. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Re: Looks like Pichon will be on her way home too... [R]

They don't expect her immeadiately.. Anne Makinem is still playing in Euros. They have the desperation that may be needed to get by Germany, and that would be quite the UPSET of the last few years