2005/2006 Middlesbrough Match Talk & Results Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Middlesbrough' started by ERIMUS, Aug 12, 2005.

1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was a brilliant comeback, well done Massimo Maccarone back to back winners at the Riverside in miraculous UEFA Cup wins!!!

I'll be supporting Sevilla in the final because i am a HUGE Enzo Maresca fan, but BORO have been brilliant in this cup all year and wouldn't be unworthy winners if they pull it off!

Ganu, i can just imagine the smile on your face, ur the face of BORO on these boards for me!

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Just. Frigging. Insane.

If you don't win the final, I'll be most upset.

3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, this is ridiculous. Can anyone cite a more amazing back-to-back home/away cup comeback?

3 aggregate down and still win it. Twice in a row.

Inconceivable!

4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The only comparable comebacks I can think of were from Club Brugges in the 88 UEFA Cup.

R1 Lost 2-0 away won 5-0 at home
    R2 Lost 3-1 away won 4-0 at home
    R3 Lost 3-0 away won 5-0 at home

In the semi final they won the home leg 2-0 and lost 3-0 away.

5. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that amazes me so much is that there were down on agg and away goals after giving up the early goals at the riverside. To be able to come back from that, not once, but twice is just amazing

6. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I wonder if we'll stick the kids out for the rest of the season. Nothing to play for until the 10th...

Sucks that Poga, Schwarz and possibly Mendi will miss the final.

7. OnTheRun

OnTheRun New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Romania
    Congrats! I hate we lost but you had the winning attitude. Our players were already thinking at the final and stopped playing football.
    Also the 10-0-0 strategy of the romanian coach in the second half was splendid.
    Great comeback and good luck in the final.

8. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Gutted. I turned it off at half time thinking that it was all over, as your team couldn't repeat the same trick twice.
    So after all that agony the fans have been put through, i hope they win the final.
    Good luck!

9. TXMilan

TXMilan Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Boro. I watched the game last night. I am not a fan of Boro, but that may have been the most exciting game I have seen. Ray Hudson's commentary on Goltv in the US was priceless.

My Milan side have pulled some matches out of the fire, but Boro was ridiculous. The character of the Boro side is off the chart.

Milan could have used Maccarone back against Barca.

10. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I thought there were hopes that Schwarzer will be back?

Question - are you guys still keen for McClaren to get the boot even if you win?

11. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Ugh, the thing is - if he wins the thing, he pretty much has the job for life. The only way I'll see him go, is if he takes on the England job, an even more scary prospect. I will defend him on the side of injuries at crucial times, but he did bring about our crappy form this season by not getting in replacements for Boateng or Riggott.

Remember if we lose, we have no European football and a crappy Premiership finish to be content with.

20 odd minutes gone, Boro 0-0 Everton.

12. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think my computer crashed when we gave up that goal.

I had a feeling we would balls it up near the end. Yet another joke at the back. :rolleyes:

UEFA Cup aside, the league form has been absolutely atrocious.

Plus note, was seeing Malcolm Christie back in the side.

But clearly this is a side just going through the motions at the minute, as said before we have Manure on Monday, then Bolton on Wednesday and Fulham on the 7th.

Bit of a limp last home game before Eindoven.

And if you were counting that's 5 games in 10 days. 6 in 13 if you count the UEFA Cup tie.

13. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Well that's another one out of the way.

0-0 at OT. Not bad, our little run there continues. Nice save from Brad Jones from the Van Nistelrooy penalty. Let's hope he can repeat this form soon. :)

14. DooMSireN

DooMSireN New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Yeah, if (OH GOD I HOPE NOT) the UEFA Cup Final goes to penalties, that does look slightly better to us.. I'd prefer Schwarzer in goal I think though.

Also, Ganu, why do you keep editing refereces to Boro out of your profile, yet when they seem to be on a winning streak you add them in.. not ashamed are you? :p

15. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I can attest to the fact that Schwarzer is good to have in goal during a shootout. :p

16. GreenIsle

GreenIsle Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    Green I/Prt Douglas
    Not that it means a lot atm in regards to the UEFA cup final,mostly due to his age and inexperience,but Jones will be first grade.Has great reflexes,natural athleticism,and a brain for the job.Might be letting the odd goal through atm,but he will be first class and Boro would do well to hang on to him.

17. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    :confused:

18. DooMSireN

DooMSireN New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Middlesbrough, UK
    I was refering to a few days ago where you had removed pretty much any acknoledgement of Boro in your sig while still has PSG in their, no biggie :p

19. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Another meaningless game and another point in the North West. Adam Johnson scores his first goal for the club but his strike is quickly ruled out by Ricardo Vaz Te.

Fulham now on Sunday for the last game of the season and then onto the biggie. :cool:

20. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Looks as if Schwarzer is back in training and according to the local rags, he could play in the UEFA Cup final with a protective mask.