2005/2006 Fiorentina Discussions [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by SueB, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Now that salvation has been achieved, the news out of the Viola camp turns to who will and won't be around next season. Some tidbits from recent days:

- With Dino Zoff almost certainly leaving, new ds Corvino's first job is to name a new head coach. The two favorites at the moment are Cesare Prandelli and Francesco Guidolin.

- After disastrous seasons by Lupatelli and Ceja, a solid goalkeeper is #1 on the shopping list. Top choice is Milan backup and former Italy U-21 keeper Christian Abbiati. Abbiati is also being courted by Palermo, who offers the added perk of European competition.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun1g.html

- Among the 3 players co-owned with Juventus, it looks like Giorgio Chiellini will head back to Turin this summer. However, Enzo Maresca and Fabrizio Miccoli appear set to be bought outright by Fiorentina:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may31f.html

- Central defense is another area in need of shoring up. Some rumored targets are Lecce's Lorenzo Stovini and Sampdoria's Stefano Lucchini (currently on loan at Empoli).

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: Fiorentina News

Reports from relegated Atalanta are that young fantasista Riccardo Montolivo could be on his way to Fiorentina.

3. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US

Great first buy for Fiorentina. I read that Miccoli will sign for good with the Viola too. Hopefully Fiorentina sell that horrid piece of crap, Donadel. Selling Nakata, Delli Cari, and maybe loaning off Pazzini wouldn't be a bad idea either.

4. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I think Guidolin would an excellent choice as coach...his Palermo club was tough to play against...this Fiorentina club could use some of that defensive boost.

5. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Donadel a horrid piece of crap? He is a promising defensive midfielder. He played great at the Olympics and was solid this season. Nakata must go, because he was really disappointing this season, but Pazzini must stay. Pazzini is a future star. He has all the potential and qualities to be great. Having a starting job in Florence is great for him.

6. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US

I hope Fiorentina can bring back Rui Costa. It would be a great thing for both Rui and Florence.

7. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  8. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
  9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  10. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  11. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US

I new Fiorentina really really needs a new keeper.

12. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Fiorentina has just completed the signing of Marco Donadel. He is a favorite of Prandelli, who started him in midfield with Parma two years ago.

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  15. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Fiorentina also lost Nigerian midfielder Christian Obodo to Perugia, but won the rights to Martin Jorgensen after outbidding Udinese.

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Huh, I don't think Obodo belongs in Serie B. I know Perugia is still harboring some glimmer of hope of getting a spot in Serie A, but I'm surprised at this.

17. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I'm thinking Perugia are looking to make money on him and sell him to a Serie A club.

18. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I think Fiorentina are top relegation candidates now having lost the pair back to Juve....and Obodo was one of their few of their players that was tough/gritty....

As cassano says I bet Perugia's just looking to turn a quick profit and will sell him immediately. I'm shocked Fiorentina was outbid on him to begin with.

19. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Reports said that Fiorentina only put forward 1,555,000 euros for Miccoli. They also said that when Moggi heard this, he said "Miccoli is ours". I was expecting Fiorentina to push a little harder for Miccoli, but maybe Prandelli likes the attacking pair of Bojinov-Pazzini.

20. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

so juve gets the pair back for around 2M...thats insane, terrible job by fiorentina...

again without this trio they are in big trouble...

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Not sure what Fiorentina has up their sleeves. But as speculated, looks like Obodo will be back in Serie A, probably reunited with Serse Cosmi at Udinese. He and Muntari would certainly form a rugged midfield pairing.

22. furyf

furyf New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Sweden

According to www.acfiorentina.it we bought brocchi, frey, and pasqual. so donadel for obodo i can understand, brocchi for maresca almost understandable, never heard of pasqual so can't really compare him. But who the hell is gonna replace chiellini. and frey is not half as good in goal as miccoli is up front!!!! 9 mil last season on the 3 juve players and only 2.5 back!!!! they are insane. are we in economical trouble again???

23. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004

The young Brescia forward Carraciolo has been linked with Fiorentina and Ufjalusi has been linked with Madrid.

Why may I ask was the plug pulled on the Fiorentina forum?

I'm going to have to order it be reinstated....on grounds of "sporting merit". ;)

24. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Earlier this year, Fiorentina hired away Lecce's sports director Pantaleo Corvino. Corvino was widely credited with putting together the squad that changed them from a classic yo-yo team to one that looks as though it can stay in Serie A for a while. Given what he was able to accomplish there with limited resources, I think it's reasonable to wait at least until September before passing judgement on the summer's activity.

25. furyf

furyf New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Sweden

I'm not saying that there is no way things can look good in the near future it's just seems like the suddenly changed their opinion on miccoli maresca and chiellini and bought them for 9 mil and gave them back for 3. 6 mil for one year loan? if the money keeps on slipping away like this, what's next? or did we over spend last season and now we desperately need that 3 mil back? just wondering