2005-06 Calcio Match Fixing Scandal

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, May 4, 2016.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey All,

So most of you know I am only 16 years old, and was very young when the match fixing scandal happened in 2005-06 season. I tried searching a lot about this, but honestly I don't understand it really. Can someone explain in detail what exactly happened, and what Inter accused us and other clubs of? I have been spending a whole year trying to get what happened, and still don't.

Pretty much what I read is that we were accused for choosing favorable referees to rig games, but how is that even possible? Juventus doesn't choose the referees as far as I know.

Could you all please tell me the whole story and explain in details what exactly happened?

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    juveeer repped this.
  3. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a huuuuuuge thread on this few years ago and it kept getting updated. Basically we were accused without actual proof and got punished for it. But after years of court process, it turned out we were not at fault and as a matter of fact Inter had some involvement too. We are thinking of or in the process to Sue FIGC (the league) but the president of the league said if we drop the law suit they would award our trophies back...or something along those lines. So this clearly shows he realizes the mistake that was made.

But overall this had tarnished our reputation because all people remember are the punishment that made huge headlines back then and no one cares to actually look up the RESULTS of those court cases. So its best to avoid these discussions as its a very long complicated one and people dont like to look at facts (especially in Italy)

Isnt it strange that a team like Inter that hadnt won a single trophy since 1992 (?) all of a sudden became recipient of our earned trophy after being 3rd place ? not even 2nd place but a distant 3rd
    Then they went on to enjoy 4 years of a weak league because the 2 best teams were destroyed and now that we're back they're back to their shit ways. Yes that doesnt sound fishy at all i'm sure it was all fair or just a coincidence.

4. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  5. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'll just summarize what Falc posted.

Basically, the "truth" has come to light by now. Juventus never actually cheated. Inter's owner also owned or had stakes in many parts of Italy where he had control. He was able to plant evidence in order to frame Juventus and a good portion of the Serie A. One of the main referee designators later came out (whom he doesn't designate anymore; 10 years ago) said that whenever Inter came to talk to them, they would be the only ones whining. Large in part because they technically couldn't keep up with Milan or Juventus. While Juve were winning titles and doing well in Europe and Milan were making European finals and unearthing new talents left and right, Inter just... complained.

The biggest point to all of this was that normally, in the supreme court in Italy, you are given a couple of months to compile a defence to support yourself. During the start of the WC, there was a 2 week deadline given to the defence (mostly Juventus as they were the ones charged with the most things) instead of longer, which was especially suspicious given the fact that a lot of the Juve management would be busy overseeing the World Cup and seeing how their players were playing (monitoring injuries and form as such).

It's no surprise that Juve were then to sue the Italian footballing federation to get the titles back, but like in typical merda fashion, they executed the framing perfectly, and the statute of limitations (a stupid rule in Italian courts) expired, supposedly "invalidating" statements by referees saying they did not and were not paid off by Juventus or anyone else.

Juve were punished because WE WERE TOO GOOD. Plain and simple.

1251alex and juveeer repped this.
  6. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Any word on Agnelli's suit against the FIGC for something like 500 million and our 2 titles back? Haven't heard much about that since last summer.

7. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I haven't heard anything about it really.

8. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'll just be happy with getting those two titles officially reinstated. So digusting how merda celebrates a 3rd place Scudetto which is rightfully ours.

Falc repped this.
  9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If FIGC had any sense, they would negotiate a deal to make that happen and end the suit.

juveeer and calabrese8 repped this.
  10. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It would be icing on the cake to get all the money we're suing for as well. Conquer Europe and shit on the corrupted merda that is Inter for doing what they did to Italian football.

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I don't know what the FIGC has in reserves but that sum would likely crush it. If they settled on a nominal fee (50 million), rightful return of the two titles and an apology, that would do the trick. The current administration was not responsible for what was done 10 years ago, so they could make it happen. The only one who may be leftover is the attorney (prosecutor?) and he should be disbarred.

juveeer repped this.
  12. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'd happily take 50-100 mill and the titles back.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carraro: "I think it was an error though to assign the 2006 Scudetto to Inter. It was a very heavy choice, because a month afterward Rossi went to be Telecom Italia [the company which recorded the wiretaps] President for the second time, whose major shareholder was Marco Tronchetti Provera, the Inter vice-President."

https://www.around-j.com/carraro-mistake-award-inter-2006-scudetto/

phat repped this.
  14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He thinks?

juveeer repped this.
  15. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    This whole thing was a plot to take us out. Milan too to a lesser extent and was based on E N V Y!

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    So, when do we officially get our won on the field Scudetti back?

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We know we won those two scudetti, that is all that counts (pun intended).

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    juveeer repped this.
  21. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Tells us a few things doesn't it.

Why would we bring Conte back after that bit of info, combined with his bans for similar undertakings?

Perhaps that is why he is saying that now?

As to Inter they were the orchestrators of the whole thing. They should be stripped of all their titles, LOL.

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not to mention in the 2009-10 season the year they won the treble, there was a lot of controversy in the semifinals between Inter and Barcelona. I believe Barcelona had 2 clear goals wrongly disallowed.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The actual game I believe in which was to have been fixed in Juve’s favor from what I recall was against Reggina who won the game. If that was the case, the Match fixing didn’t work because Reggina won.

Having said this , from my experience , I knew full well of wrong doing from many sides. If Fiorentina was docked 15 points, Reggina 11, Lazio 3 , Siena 1 and Milan 8, I don’t see how Juve alone could have been relegated and those other teams couldn’t. It was later proven that Giacinto Facchetti , Vice President at Inter was caught on tape for lyingand cheating. The only reason he later got off and Inter graced was because Facchetti died of cancer. No one wants to talk about that but it’s the truth. I saw many questionable acts while I was at Fiorentina. I for one never trusted Della Vallle, Galliani , Lotito and never Luciano Moggi , at either Napoli, Roma or Juventus but I still don’t see how Juve was punished and/or relegated and everyone else got a slap on the wrist. Milan actually ended up winning the CL that year.

In retrospect , I believe Calciopoli actually ended up helping Juventus in the long run and it definitely hurt other squads. The Sensi family had to sell Roma, Massimo Moratti sold Inter , Berlusconi sold Milan and Juventus had become stronger. Juve may have suffered from 2006-2011 but they definitely made up for it ever since.

juveeer repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    First, conversations with the referee designator swans not only legal, it was encouraged. The thought was by having open access, teams could complain privately and not through the media. Moggi had a game where he would predict who was the likely referee. This was simple to do based on rotation & limits when accounting where a referee was from. For instance, a referee who was from or lived in Rome would not do any matches involving Roma or Lazio. There was one instance that Moggi made a specific request for a referee. It was a preseason match in the Berlusconi Cup. Juve were penalized for trumped up charges of referee influence of which there was no evidence nor on its own met the penalties handed out. The fictitious application of lumping them together and proclaiming an Article 1 violation was the basis for relegation. Due to the power wrestling by Elkann to take over from the trident, the club capitulated to the false charges instead of fighting.

The biggest casualty of this bullshit has been gli Azzurri and calcio in general. All so that crook Moratti could finally grab silverware for his Inter. Where is that club now? ******** them and Serie A, may Juve continue to dominate for more years.

juveeer repped this.
  25. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    That is ONE reason why I can never root for Inter in any competition. I would even root for LIVERPOOL over Inter, the swine.