2002 Nike U.S. Women’s Cup (9/29, 10/2 & 10/6)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Aug 15, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    And here is the press release on the training camp:

Heinrichs Names 28 to Train for 2002 Nike U.S. Women’s Cup

So why Pags and not Melissa Moore or Luckenbill? Someone correct me please if I'm wrong but Pags really didn't have that great of a season did she? I'll admit I have not seen many Spirit matches this past season. What qualities does she bring to the table that neither Moore nor Luckenbill have?

That's odd. Everyone else had a long WUSA season as well.

2. Mackie8

Mackie8 New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    9/29 game?

Will the 9/29 game v. Russia be televised? I know the other two are.

3. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I looked at my listings for the game on the 29th, and it was nowhere to be found, so I'm going to assume they're not showing it. If it was going to be, I would guess it would be on either FoxSports World or MSG.

4. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida

yup a few of us are plannin on it. where ya been lately? we've missed ya in KK

hey wait a minute...Boro is M.I.A. too.....:p

5. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    it will be announced in the last minute a guess, for bussines reason, so that there'll be more tickets sold. TV is very important income in addition to ticket sales so, i'm pretty sure it will be aired.

6. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    How important is it the NIKE cup compare to other competitions like: US cup, GOLD cup, etc ?

7. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

Will Sunday 9/29's game vs. Russia be televised?

I know this has been asked before, but we still don't have a definitive answer.

It doesn't say on the U.S. Soccer website. It DOES say, specifically, in several places, that the other two games involving the U.S. team will be televised.

This implies that this coming Sunday's game will not be televised, but if anybody knows differently, please tell us. :)

8. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A website that shall remain nameless indicates that only the games in Cary will be televised. :(

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gold Cup is a FIFA-sanctioned regional tournament that will be used as the qualifier for WWC'03. Hence, really important this year. It has only been played once before, 2000.

The "Nike" Cup is the "US" Cup, aka the Nike U.S. Women's Cup. ;) This tournament is strictly for entertainment (read $$$) only. Over the years it has featured some great competition (Norway, China, Germany, Sweden) and some real cannon fodder (early Matildas, Japan, China Taipei).

That said, the history of the US Women's Cup provides a great view into the way that US Soccer approaches women's soccer and the USWNT. A group of folks in the Massachusetts area included a man with connections in Norway. He arranged for the Norwegian women's team to play the USWNT in New Britain, CT and Medford, MA (Tufts University) on Aug. 30 and Sept. 1, 1991 in matches billed as the New England Sports Museum Challenge Cup, Preview of Inaugural Women's World Cup to be played in China, November 1991. US Soccer wanted nothing to do with promoting this. Neither did they have a hand in the rematch the following year, the only two matches played by the USWNT in 1992. The match at Tufts in 1991 drew over 2,500 people, a record that stood for three years. FYI, the US went 0-4 in these games.

In 1993, Chiquita and US Soccer Region 1 began the "Chiquita Cup" based upon the popularity of the matches in the New England area. They played some of the cannon fodder, New Zealand, T&T, and Canada. The following year the Chiquita Cup was played throughout Region 1 with China, Germany, and Norway as the opponents. The 4-1 dismantling of Norway at Holy Cross College in Worcester set another attendance record, 6,511, breaking ones set just days before in VA (5,731) and NJ (5,826).

This caught U$ $occer's eye. The first Nike US Women's Cup was played in 1995, again in Region 1 where they had a proven fan base. In fact, they didn't leave Region 1 until after winning WWC'99, where they played to huge crowds in the midwest. The rest, as they say, is history, but I would question whether there would even be a team if some folks in the northeast hadn't taken a chance 11 years ago.

10. piper

piper New Member

It's because of Baseball. :rolleyes:

11. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    As much as I hate to say it and as much as I love Millie, I don't think not having her will have that big an impact on attendance. Unfortunately she wasn't much of a draw during the regular season, sad to say, and there are too many other "names" on the National team that WILL be there for that. Including, of course, THE name player, which I won't name, lest I start a totally unnecessary tirade by someone. :(

I DO hope it's a sellout, or close to it, but I don't know - I keep getting these e-mails from the sales office promoting the game.

I'm looking forward to the training session on Saturday followed by the Power clinic, but I just hope Isidore doesn't rain too hard on that parade.

Norma

12. SkaterGirl900

SkaterGirl900 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Hey everyone Im new uhh Mia Hamm is good!

13. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    magiclamp, i have never once doubted the impact of mia hamm on the USWNT...my gripe has been overmarketing by ESPN and the WUSA. she is a good player, she isnt god...she desirves her USWNT turnout.

as for the attendance...i wouldnt get my hopes up...unless the LIJSL has some big group sales sublet up its sleeve. they desirve it, and the power desirve better.

14. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but, has she discovered her inner goddess? ;)

15. soccermonkey19

soccermonkey19 New Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Mississippi
    LMAO....*sings* I'm your Venus, I'm your fire...

16. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks NSA

NSA, just wanted to thank you for your earlier thread explaining the history behind tournaments like the Gold Cup and Nike Cup.

It's amazing how much grass roots effort has gone into developing the women's game, especially prior to the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta (Athens, GA). My reading on the subject is limited, but I wonder if there's a book already out there that covers all of the history in the development of this sport.

17. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Re: Thanks NSA

A good job for NSA in his spare time.

18. Charger22

Charger22 New Member

Feb 16, 2002
    out there
    But I doubt anyone had as long of a season as Tiffeny did. Loosing 17 games has got to make it a really long summer. She carried a load for the team this year and I bet she is just a bit tired of soccer. I can imagine it took a tole on her mentally, physically, emotionally, ect. On the other hand, if you were Tiffeny and you lost that many games in one season, wouldn't you jump at the chance to get together with your old teammates and show everyone what you really could do? Wouldn't it be more of a refreshing game for her? Oh well, her choice.

19. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    I'll make the Wednesday game in Cary, NC vs Australia. Everyone is welcome at the Sam's Army tailgate. Give me a hollar. See the Sam's Army website if you are interested (you can get tix in the section if interested, too).

I need a national team match as I'm still in World Cup withdrawl. This is but cough syrup to a boozer, but I'll take it!

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wow! heather made the team. is this the first time she's made the seniors? would like to see if her speed is just a u-19 illusion.

21. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Roster Thoughts

Interesting Roster!

I should preface this with saying I have no idea if anyone sustained injuries during camp which is always a possible reason for not making a roster. I also want to echo those who say it's a shame the match later today is not being televised.

I'm kinda surprised that Heinrichs didn't take one extra defender especially since Reddick won't join the team until after the weekend. This is doubly surprising given Kluegel's having been a lock over the past year for making the roster. Hmmm. I wonder whether her stock has fallen? I do think her season at Boston was not very impressive but I acknowledge her wheels and attacking presence. I also have to say that I don't see consistency in her performances as yet with the national team. At times, she seems ineffective but every now and then has a nice run up the flank. I'm assuming she will stay on the radar, however, hopefully along with Benson who has seemed solid in her limited appearances. I consider Bryan and Mitts and Bivens to be solid players as well but not sure if they are long-terms nats material. I suspect that Pearce is not quite back into form yet but that if she does round back into form she will get serious consideration.

In any case, for the Russia game I suppose either Roberts or Fair can move onto the back line if needed. Who votes for putting Fawcett back out on the right? Just seeing her play there for some part of the All-Star Game gave me flashbacks to her brilliance as a right back! I really think it's time for a midfielder (other than Lilly and Foudy) to step up and firmly establish themselves. I want to see someone be able to take control of a game, to stamp their authority on it! I think Foudy's value cannot be underestimated but I do think she cannot be looked to anymore as someone who can dominate in that way.

I'd like to see a start for Wagner as a playmaker but then we have the problem of where to stick Foudy. May Heinrichs please please consider benching Fair and having Foudy either behind Wagner in a diamond or on the right. This still leaves the MacMillan question—amazing player but it just doesn't seem feasible for her to start. I think it would be interesting to evaluate how Parlow and Wambach work together—if they get in each other's way or complement each other.

I'm assuming O'Reilly makes the roster in what would normally be Millbrett's slot and I'm curious to see her in action. I'm assuming most everyone will get minutes with the 7-sub rule!

Let the games begin,

mingyung

22. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nope this is the 2nd time shes made the full US roster. Her first was in Portugal when Mia was out. If she plays today, it will be her 5th cap for the US Team. Oh and her speed? Hardly an illusion.

23. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    IMO April doesn't use Kluegel to best advantage. She's not a defender! Flank midfield is a better place for her. I'd certainly go with her over Hucles. I guess when you're trying to find a spot for all the chess pieces somebody's gonna be left out.

24. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Nat formation

You are right. But the Nats have been using the 4-3-3 inverted triangle, which does not have any outside ( flank) middies. The outside fullback is really a wingback, and when its working properly the wingback ranges endline to endline. Quite often the wingback marks up on the outside mid.