2002 Nike U.S. Women’s Cup (9/29, 10/2 & 10/6)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Aug 15, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    10/2 (Russia in SLC) & 10/6 (Austrailia in Cary, NC)

Mahalo to SomebodyOrOther for pointing out the 10/6 match in the other thread!

http://www.soccertv.com/women.cfm

WENDESDAY?!!?!?!?! ARGH!!! :mad:

Wed Oct 02 04:30PM Pacific
    Wed Oct 02 05:30PM Mountain
    Wed Oct 02 06:30PM Central
    Wed Oct 02 07:30PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr LIVE
    ESPN2 - US Feed
    Women's International Friendly - US Women's Cup
    United States vs Russia
    Salt Lake City, Utah

=================================

Bring on Amy Taylor!!! Right Nap!?!? ;)

Sun Oct 06 11:00AM Pacific
    Sun Oct 06 12:00PM Mountain
    Sun Oct 06 01:00PM Central
    Sun Oct 06 02:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr LIVE
    ESPN2 - US Feed
    Women's International Friendly - US Women's Cup
    United States vs Australia
    Cary, North Carolina

2. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    So now that the Woosa season is over, they decide to schedule on Wednesdays. :rolleyes: idiots.

3. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    I think I may go up to the one in Cary. Thanks for the heads-up.

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    RE: USWNT v Russian in SLC

Hmmm....where the heck would they play? I'll admit I've only been to SLC once for the 2002 Winter Olys so I am not at all familiar with the place. So where would they play? On the University of Utah campus at the Oly stadium (I know it's not called the Oly stadium now but I don't know what it's called)?

5. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    Cary? Wohoo! I love being 15 min from the stadium. :p

6. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    back up to cary i go.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One thing we know for sure. The game in SLC has an excellent chance of being played in DRY weather. ;)

My travel plans are not finalized but I have a trip to SLC scheduled for close to that time. I HOPE it works out to put me in SLC at the right time.

With my luck lately I will get to go and there will an unusual out of season three feet of snow on top of a two inch ice storm. :D

Could make for some interesting soccer. Would that give Russia an advantage????? How much of their team hails from the really cold areas?

I spent a month in Moscow one week in Jan. 1995. IT WAS COLD!!!!!!

8. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Well I don't have a game on Oct. 6, hopefully that will be a day off from practice too, so I can go catch that game in Cary.

9. soccerobsessee9

soccerobsessee9 New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Rensselaer, Indiana
    You guys should take a team trip...to the game. That'd be fun. Hook it up!

10. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Add me to that list.

11. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Russia game is now being held at Mitchel Athletic Complex in Long Island, NY on SUNDAY September 29th.

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    U.S. WOMEN TO HOST AUSTRALIA, ITALY & RUSSIA FOR 2002 NIKE U.S. WOMEN’S CUP FROM SEPT. 29-OCT. 9

Prestigious Annual Tournament Kicks Off in Uniondale, N.Y., on Sept. 29, Includes Pair of Doubleheaders in Raleigh, N.C., on Oct. 2 and Oct. 6

CHICAGO (August 22, 2002) - U.S. Soccer has finalized the opponents, dates and venues for the 2002 edition of the Nike U.S. Women’s Cup, the most prestigious women’s event conducted by U.S. Soccer, and one of the most respected women’s tournaments in the world. The tournament, a four-team, six-game competition, will feature the U.S. Women’s National Team, as well as Australia, Italy and Russia.

"To have Italy, Russia and Australia in a pre-World Cup event on the East Coast in two WUSA cities, it just doesn't get any better as far as our preparation, our focus and getting our fans ready for our World Cup qualifying,” said U.S. head coach April Heinrichs. "It's great timing for us because the players are coming out of the WUSA season, they get a little bit of break and then we play these three teams that we haven't seen in quite a long time. It's a wonderful opportunity for us to get together for a two-week period."

In the tournament’s opening match, the U.S. will take on Russia at the Mitchel Athletic Complex, the home of the WUSA’s New York Power, on Sunday, Sept. 29 at 4 p.m. ET (TV broadcast to be determined). The match will mark the third time that the U.S. Women have played at the 10,102-seat, Uniondale, N.Y. venue, having played a pair of matches (a 5-0 win over Denmark and a 2-0 win over China) there in as part of the Goodwill Games in late July 1998.

Tickets for the tournament opener, which is presented by Philips Electronics, range in price levels from $22 to $55 and are available starting tomorrow (August 23) at 12 noon ET at all Ticketmaster outlets throughout the area (including The Wiz, Compact Disc World, Tower Records, HMV Record Stores and Filene’s) or by calling 516-888-9000 (Long Island) or 212-307-7171 (New York City). Tickets are also available on-line at www.ticketmaster.com and at www.ussoccer.com. Groups of 20 or more can call 1-866-769-7849.

From there, the tournament heads south to North Carolina, where the U.S. Women’s National Team will
    play two games as part of doubleheaders at the recently opened SAS Park, the home of the WUSA’s Carolina Courage, in Cary, N.C. The U.S. Women will take on Australia on Wednesday, Oct. 2 (presented by Chevy) at 7:30 p.m. ET live on ESPN2, and finish the tourney against Italy on Saturday, Oct. 6 at 2 p.m. ET live on ESPN2.

Although the U.S. women have previously played matches in Charlotte, Davidson and Greensboro, N.C., the two October doubleheaders will mark the team’s first-ever international games in the Raleigh-Durham area and the first time that the team has played at the 7,000-seat, state-of-the-art venue.
    -- more --
    U.S. Soccer House 1801 S. Prairie Ave. Chicago, Illinois 60616
    312-808-1300 fax 312-808-9566 www.ussoccer.com

2002 Nike U.S. Women’s Cup Opponents, Venues Announced

Tickets for the N.C. doubleheaders, which range in price from $18 to $55, are now available at all Ticketmaster outlets throughout the Carolinas (including Kroger, Hecht's and FYE), by calling 919-834-4000 or going on-line at www.ticketmaster.com. For groups of 20 or more, call 312-528-1249.

The U.S. has posted a 6-2-2 record in 2002, including a 4-0 win over Norway in the team’s most recent match in Blaine, Minn., on July 21. After the 2002 WUSA season concludes this weekend with the Founders Cup II on Saturday (Aug. 24) in Atlanta, the U.S. team will regroup 10 days later for a Sept. 8 match versus Scotland at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

The U.S. Women will be using the 2002 Nike U.S. Women’s Cup as preparation for the 2002 CONCACAF Women’s Gold Cup, which is set to take place at four venues along the West Coast from Oct. 27-Nov. 9 and will serve as the region’s qualifying for the 2003 FIFA Women’s World Cup in China next summer.

The U.S. has a winning all-time record against all three of its U.S. Women’s Cup opponents, including a 13-0-0 mark over Australia in which the U.S. has outscored their Oceania counterpart 51-8. The U.S. is also undefeated against Russia, holding a 4-0-1 record and outscoring them 22-2.

The U.S. has a storied history with Italy, including the U.S. Women’s National Team’s first ever match, a 1-0 loss on August 18, 1985. The U.S. holds a narrow 5-4-0 edge in nine all-time meetings, having lost the first three times the two teams met from 1985-1988. The U.S. dominated all five match-ups in the 1990s and 2000, outscoring the Europeans 15-1, but Italy handed the U.S. a 1-0 loss in their last meeting in March 2001 in Reiti.

"The three styles are great for us,” said Heinrichs, of the competition that the three countries each present. “Australia is the hard, physical, aggressive team. Italy is a counter-attacking, bunkering team, and you have Russia, who is a very disciplined team, more like a Norway or a Sweden."

The Nike U.S. Women’s Cup has been staged eight times since its debut in 1994, including last year’s abandoned event which was scheduled to end the weekend after the tragic events of Sept. 11. The U.S. has amassed an amazing 21-0-0 record across the eight tournaments winning all seven championships against opponents like Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Italy and Norway.
    2002 Nike U.S. Women’s Cup Schedule

Wed., Oct. 2, 2002
    Italy vs. Russia
    SAS Park; Cary, N.C.
    5 p.m. ET

USA vs. Australia
    SAS Park; Cary, N.C.
    7:30 p.m. ET / espn2

Sun., Oct. 6, 2002
    Australia vs. Russia
    SAS Park 11:30 a.m. ET

USA vs. Italy
    SAS Park
    2 p.m. ET / espn2

Wed., Oct. 9, 2002
    Australia vs. Italy
    SAS Park; Cary, N.C. 7:30 p.m.

13. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    I went to the website this morning and called the phone number and neither one had the game in their database. Anyone had any luck getting tickets?

14. Dianawnt8

Dianawnt8 New Member

Jan 4, 2000
    what? i thought they were playing Russia in Long Island? did they move it or are they playing them twice?

15. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    No no Diana you are right. This thread was created before they officially named the game to Mitchel...

Can a moderator change the title????

16. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Done.

17. jwsm

jwsm New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Sydney AUSTRALIA
    Where What and When

Hi

My name is Joseph and I live in Sydney AUST© My girlfriend has just finished playing for the Young Matildas at the FIFA Under-19 Women's World Championship©

As it stands now it looks like she will be making her debut for the Matildas in the 2002 Nike U©S© Women’s Cup© As a result i will be definitely making the trip over to the states to watch her©

Is it possible for if someone or everyone can help me with some information or point me to relevant web sites© ¥ i would prefer info as it would be first hand and not glossed over ¤

Here are some of the things that I would like to know

What is Cary like?

liberal, conservative etc©©©

Accommodation:

I would like to stay someone inexpensive but also safe© Small hotel nothing fancy, that is clean, has a TV, own bathroom and has not been featured in an episode of COPS© I don't really like back packer hostels© but if that is my only choice I would consider it©

I have also heard that accommodation can be found at some colleges© Is their a college near by?

And finally "How the Hell Do I Get There"© ©©©just kidding

Thanks ever so much

18. Dianawnt8

Dianawnt8 New Member

Jan 4, 2000
    its not at Cary anymore. its in Long Island :)

19. jwsm

jwsm New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Sydney AUSTRALIA
    I thought only the US V Russia game was in Long Island and all the others where at Cary

20. Dianawnt8

Dianawnt8 New Member

Jan 4, 2000
    oh! nevermind.sorry to confuse you.

21. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Re: Where What and When

Joseph - welcome, and congratulations on your girlfriend's call-up to the Matildas.

I suggest that you pose your questions in the Carolina Courage forum here. Since the Courage play in Cary, folks there should be familiar with the area.

Good luck!

22. jwsm

jwsm New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Sydney AUSTRALIA
    Thank you

I shall go there now and post my message©

thanks

23. got courage?

got courage? New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    North Carolina
    I'm so excited!! Finally the WNT is coming back to North Carolina and i can FINALLY see them play live! Okoay, so i saw them once, but that doesn't count b/c it was the indoor victory tour thing after the '99 Cup and Jules wasn't playing. I've made it my goal to get all decked out in red. white and blue and try to get on TV. LOL. I always wanted to do that!

24. jvanark

jvanark New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Re: Where What and When

This is where the Sam's Army folks are staying:
    Fairfield Inn Raleigh/Cary
    919-481-4011

It's close and convenient to the stadium with different types of restaurants, etc. nearby.

25. jwsm

jwsm New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Sydney AUSTRALIA
    Thanks very much for your reply. It was very nice of you to take time out to help.

Surprisingly, I have only had about four replies regarding my questions, but hey that's better than none

Thanks once again and take care