2002 Gold Cup articles, standings and general discussion [R implicit]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by piper, Oct 17, 2002.

1. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    From the US Soccer Q & A with Lilly:

"From Montreal in 1994, I remember we went to some really good restaurants and in one of the games we had the first and only brawl in women's national team history, which I want to go on record as saying that we did not start."

Does anyone remember this or have any information on it? thanks.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=446197#post446197

3. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Seattle update from US Soccer:

U.S. Can Clinch Berth in Women's Gold Cup Semifinals with Win or Tie vs. Panama on Saturday in Seattle

"In the afternoon, about half the team went to renowned Pike Place Market to watch goalkeepers Briana Scurry and LaKeysia Beene, and midfielder Aly Wagner, throw and catch some very large salmon at the famous outdoor fish market. All three U.S. players successfully executed not only the catch, but also the throw of the large, silmy beasts, earning cheers from their teammates, TV cameras and a large crowd that had assembled."

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    U.S. goalkeeper LaKeysia Beene before catching her fish at the world-famous Pike Place Market:
    "I was nervous. I saw Aly (Wagner) catch her fish, and I was like, 'If a midfielder can catch that thing, I better not drop it.'"

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From the Seattle Times:

Briana Scurry back competing for national team's goalie job
    By Jayda Evans
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Nice!!!:

5. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Brawl

You're saying Hamm slugged four Trinidad and Tobago players in the brawl and the others hit one or two players each?
    ;)

6. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Brawl

It started when Mia was making a run up the side line and got nailed in the back of the Knees (cleats up) and fouled into her own bench. the US bench cleared, but; in the end as I understand it. though there was alot of yelling and shoving, no punches were thrown.

7. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Re: Brawl

Isn't this the same game Mia talks about in her book?

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes. They are willing and able to take the chances they need to to get goals. They continue to do this even when the shots are not going in as against CR in the last game.

They may well get another 10-12 against the hapless and inept Mexican team.

As I said before the start of the tournament there are two women's soccer teams in CONCACAF and a bunch of rec level players haphazardly thrown together doing bad impressions of soccer teams.

It is unfortunate that this is the case as it makes it MUCH harder to get games that are the least bit of a challenge in the lead up to the WWC.

10. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
  11. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Re: article

Nice article. But Millie is most definitely NOT past her prime and I don't think Mia necessarily is, either.

12. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Re: Re: article

The quote in the article is:

"Mia Hamm and Tiffeny Milbrett may have already reached their peak, but the WUSA has clearly helped the all-around games of Cindy Parlow and Shannon MacMillan. "

I think the author is trying to say that the WUSA has improved Parlow's and MacMillan's game, but that Millie and Mia are already at the top of their games and that the WUSA could not improve them any further. Not that they were past thier peak.

Regardless, it is nice that ESPN has written a fairly decent article about women's soccer and not just copying the AP report as usual.

13. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    I went back and watched all the tapes of this tourney so far. It's hard to get a feel for how USA is really playing. Actually, have they faced a top notch team since the Algarve? I discount the match against Norway in Minnesota because Norway was tired and basically mailed that one in. Beulah mentioned something to the effect that they're playing differently every game.

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  15. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: article

It was so decent I sent the author an email complimenting him on it.

I did point out to him, though, that I was surprised that neither Wambach nor Slaton were mentioned. Though Slaton is not playing in the Gold Cup, it's only because of injuries, and she has become both a USWNT regular and fan favorite quickly. Wambach has showed she can make an impact and perhaps even provide some of the presence that Akers used to provide, and she too is rapidly becoming a fan favorite. I thought they merited mention.

However, I surely do not begrudge Cat Reddick her day in the sun in the article -- though I'm sure she'd appreciate the author spelling her last name right next time. ;)

16. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    the article posted above from the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/134569404_goldcup05.html

Haven't we seen enough of "Mia is past her prime, pay attention to Millie" articles? I agree Millie should get more attention, but can't they just concentrate on that instead of putting down other players? This just seems to be the same tired article that we saw so much before the start of the WUSA season. This person probably does not even know that much about soccer and did not even research their article all that much. the comment at the end:

"Strikers Hamm, Milbrett and midfielder Aly Wagner didn't participate in yesterday's light practice. Hamm, 30, is still recovering from left knee surgery, and Milbrett, 30, tweaked her right knee during Saturday's game and was resting it yesterday. She had an MRI yesterday afternoon. Wagner, a senior All-American at Santa Clara, drove to Portland on Sunday to play in her college team's 1-0 upset over the fourth-ranked Portland Pilots.

All are expected to play tomorrow."

I believe Mia is recovering from her shin bruise not her surgery from a year ago. It would be nice if they has someone who knew something about soccer write the articles.

17. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Seriously...that was my exact reaction. Believe it or not writers, you CAN praise Millie without bringing Mia down. And in a way I think it's almost insulting to Millie because her merits can stand on their own regardless of how Mia is playing. When I got to the part about Mia recovering from knee surgery (that was how long ago?) I knew it was another "I don't know crap about soccer but I'm going to try to sound insightful by spotlighting a less recognized player" article.

18. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
  19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  20. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    The Olympics didn't count?

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    This match, if we win, gives us a birth in the WWC. If we lose then we play for third on Saturday and then have to take on some AFC team to make it in.

22. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Yeah...I just thought it was interesting that the writer saw this game as more important than the Olympic final. Hmmm that actually makes sense, never mind.

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Mucho props to the EVERYONE that made it to the two DH's in Safeco. Apparently us folks that went there were not cheap bastards like those in other venues where the USWNT has played in recent times. See...you can afford $55 tix to these matches if you don't blow all your money on booze and hookers.

This past Saturday Safeco nearly gets 22,000 in the stands. And this is competing with the Huskies playing the same day. Tonight's crowd is obviously smaller but it still looks like a very good turnout.

And special props to the Mexicans and other latins that made it to Safeco. You folks provided a very much needed dose of passion to this tourney.

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Do the final standings for the 1 and 2 teams have any bearing on which group they are lumped into for the 2003 WWC?