20 for nashville...olympic qualifying roster thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuttgart Kickers are in first place in their Regionalliga. It may not seem like a big deal to Americans (or to many Germans) but it's a big deal for them. They can get promoted.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Ibeagha brought in

2. Munsie17

Munsie17 New Member

May 6, 2008
    And Sarkodi has this? No one has really seen the kid play cause he sits on the bench. All we saw was him playing in the Mexico game and from what I saw if by chance we were watching the same game....he didn't look good.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say he wasn't great, lots of speed but his touch betrays him here and there. To me he is an ok player. He is good enough to overachive given the right circumstance.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it's a double edge sword. They could either send him over and hope he gets noticed, thereby increasing a possible transfer fee. Or they keep him and go for the 3rd division.

I'm not losing sleep over it either way, but thanks for that heads up on their league position.

5. spunk

spunk Member

May 23, 2008
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should never have allowed this to happen.
    Caleb Porter should never have allowed this to happen.
    Joshua Gatt never should have allowed this to happen.

To have this happen - this late in the faze of the sole purpose for the U23's - is to disgrace both the team itself and also the group of players not being called in. Little respect to those players left at home who showed devotion in the individual qualifying process through weeks and months of camps and preparations.

Where is the team, and where is the olympic spirit?

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ huh?

lol

Sheanon Williams has some issues but let's at least hope he's higher up on Porter's depth chart than Greg Garza...

One possibility is that you're not the best judge of talent, despite the frequency with which you state your opinions?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Um...what?

Solskjaer's primary responsibility is to Molde. That's who pays his salary. "Olympic spirit" has nothing to do with it.

He was willing to let Gatt go, but a run of injuries at the club forced him to recall the player. It happens.

There was nothing Caleb Porter could do about it. Clubs aren't forced to release players for this qualifying tournament.

Porter's spent camps and friendlies recently building up the player pool for just this eventuality. He'll bring in another player that'll do well for us.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Everything we've seen suggests Williams is higher on the depth chart than Garza, who's barely gotten a look in any of the previous U23 friendlies. [Although to be fair, we'd have said the same thing about Michael Stephens prior to the roster release.]

It wouldn't stun me if Porter brings in the "best available player," if he feels that none of his defensive options are that great. That would be Lletget in my view.

9. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not happy about not getting to see Gatt. Was really looking forward to it. But in the end it doesn't really change anything. Without getting to cocky or overconfident, we should roll these teams.

Anyways, I can't wait for Thursday.

10. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gatt went home because of unexpected injuries to Molde players. They need him, and he never had to be released in the first place. It's not any one of Porter's, Ole Gunnar's, or Gatt's fault.

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame the Molde players that got injured!

12. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's his Olympic spirit? Some Jerk

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait and see when/if we make the olys and only 10 of these 20 players make the final roster.

14. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really bummed about not having Gatt at the qualifiers. I'm assuming this pretty much guarantees that he will not be at the Olympics. Apparently Molde has had quite a few injuries and needs him back.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. It's highly questionable whether we'll have Gatt for the Olympics themselves. (should we qualify)

Getting another kid into the rotation right now for qualifiers is a good thing.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the difference is that in the Olympics the US federation can put their foot down. Then it will be up to Gatt to decide, which sort of sucks for him.

17. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    Molde released Gatt for the eliminations. Called him back only when Molde players got hurt. Does this mean he is not that valued by Molde?

18. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not. Ole Gunnar's comments over the last year have actually shown the exact opposite. And Gatt became a regular starter for them.

What happened was they let him go represent his country for a chance to play in the Olympics, in part because they had adequate cover, and I'm guessing in part as a sign of good faith (they won't be able to block his call-in from the actual Olympics, which takes place during Champs League qualification).

From what I understand, the injuries made it absolutely necessary the bring him back. Sucks, but it is what it is. Clubs get to call the shots for this tournament.

19. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Porter officially set his roster for qualifying yet? And, shouldn't we see one prior to Thursday?

20. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final rosters are due today.

21. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is somebody still gonna get banned for 1 month?

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

24. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you sir, because it would have been me for Gatt. :eek:

25. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically he was called in only to be recalled by his club so that would be pretty harsh!