20 for nashville...olympic qualifying roster thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously?

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he plays right back.

3. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Right Back than S. Williams would be the answer

4. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Porter really want to tell nowak that he needs another important player for philly? I too would be good with Greg Garza.

5. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since we have no choice, I nominate jean andrew baptiste and P.Kitchen can be the back up (rb) he played there all year last season

6. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he rates Sarkodie over Williams even before this... then why would he bring in Williams? Could we see another position taken and not necessarily RB for RB?

7. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Exactly. People tend to look at things from the perspective of the national team only. It's actually been really cool of clubs like Dortmund and Hoffenheim to be so accomodating with all these camps, when from their perspective, a qualifying tournament in North America must seem silly.

8. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Anthony Wallace still injured?

9. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    JMac isn't on Philly's bench today....

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching Williams and I can see why Porter is taking a pass on him. The kid needs more seasoning.

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah he just had surgery on a torn achilles, might miss the entire season.

Rich Balchan is a perfect versatile player for a roster like this but got a sports hernia a month ago.

12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    People aren't necessarily questioning that, they're questioning taking someone who doesn't start (Sarkodie) over a guy that's been a starter for 2 years now (Williams).

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you, no one is going to question the facts. the argument of Williams starting for 2 years over Sarkodie is a little misleading...from what I'm seeing Phili is not a good team, sorry but that is just my opinion. I don't follow Phili so I don't have a good sample to go by but from what I can see right now, Williams is a reactive player rather than proactive, also, he doesn't seem to have a feel when to cut in without the ball, his awareness of teammates as well as foes is average at best, these are basic instincts that a player needs to excel to build on and move to the next level.

14. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I do love how Greg Garza has been come hot again on these boards...I mean it was what, a year ago when he was one of the worst players on the U20 team....I guess its true with these boards if nobody sees you play you magically become a better player.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Well this thread isn't really to debate the long term outlook of a player, but who is a better player for us starting this Thursday. But we know what Porter's opinion is about it.

And I don't really think we have to call in Williams to replace Gatt. I'd feel more comfortable calling in another true CB like Jean-Baptiste or Tommy Meyer with Valentin and Kitchen being the backup RB's.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like if those were realistic options they'd have at least seen some time in a camp.

18. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but no one is saying he should start, just that he would be a good replacement and we have heard he's been doing well in mexico. It's not like players don't get better.

19. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Garza is terrible, I'd rather bring in Boss or a college CB and move someone out of position over Garza...has no food speed, can't read the game, and can't cross....all recipes for a great outside back!

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah but for a potential emergency situation, shouldn't be a must. And ideally, they probably wouldn't make the gameday 18 if there's no injuries or card situations.

21. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Hmmmmm. I havent noticed any of that. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but i do wonder specifically which game you watched that led you to that conclusion. I've watched him several times with Xolos and he has looked decent. He's not a star player, but I'm not sure exactly who else would be a legitimate option at this point.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What i mean is, if they are going to select another CB, I think they would pick one that has been in camp.

Of course that might not be the case since White and Gale are injured. That would narrow it down to Fennell, Ibeagha and Wenger.

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Angels and Demons? Ugh, that guy should be nowhere near any USMNT

;)

24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah I know what you meant. I'm saying it shouldn't be the case in this situation. Though I believe Porter will select someone that has been in camp.

Jean-Baptiste and Meyer have played a full MLS preseason and started a regular season game. Wenger is playing FW with Montreal and yet isn't full time with them because he's still taking classes.

Ibeagha is playing spring practice, but obviously not at the level Meyer and Baptiste have played this Spring. Although, Houston has certainly tried to get him to sign a HG deal, which means they do rate him well.

Fennell would be an option if he could get released.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Fennell could be released at anytime. I doubt Stuttgart Kickers are going to turn down a chance to get their player U-23 experience.

As for the other two, I don't think either are good options.