2 tryouts in one day?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by becomingasoccermom, Apr 7, 2019.

1. becomingasoccermom

becomingasoccermom New Member

Arsenal
    India
    Sep 18, 2017
    My son (age 7) is trying out for competitive clubs this year. It looks like the 2 clubs that we are interested in have tryouts on the same day. I'm wondering if it's possible for him to do well at the 2nd one after he's probably worn out from the first -seems like a big disadvantage, no?

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    It could be a disadvantage, but how much time is between the tryouts? How far (distance wise) between the tryouts? How long are the tryouts?

Around here, 7 & 8yos play two games back to back with about 10-15 minutes in between games.

I would guess tryouts at this age would be looking at some basic skill moves (dribbling between cones, maybe some 1v1 or 2v2 work) then scrimmaging. I would think a 7yo could handle that.

The other thing to find out is whether either club (or both) is having multiple tryout days.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Call the coach of one 9f those teams. Tell him/her that you are busy that day. They will just tell you to come to a practice.

Should not be a problem

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wouldn’t call, but that’s me…nothing to call about imo…if he’s a normal, healthy 7 year old, back-to-back tryouts shouldn't be a big deal…

5. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    "Tryouts" for a club team at 7 basically ensures your child can tie his shoes and dribble competently. He will be fine.

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I always recemend watching a practice session (non-tryout) with your player. I did that with my daughter when she was 6. Get an idea of how the coaches work with the kids and how they train when they are not in try-out mode.

To answer your question directly however. Just call the coach for the 2nd club and ask if you can attend a practice because the try out date doesnt work for you. They will absolutely have you come to a practice session - should be no problem what so ever.

7. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    most clubs have done away with formalized tryouts. a lot will just have you come out to a few practices. the player and coach learns more about eachother that way.

8. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    But you'd need to make sure the coach you're watching is who would actually train your child. Around here, they change coaches around every year or two. So even at a younger age, the U7 coach may coach U7 this year, U8 the next, then go back to U7.

To say nothing about coaches leaving or getting out of coaching.

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah that is very true. I guess it was easier with Sockers because the coaches were pretty much set back then - and now as well. Makes things a lot easier.

When we went to CSA we knew who the coach would be and it seems that all those coaches are set as well. But yeah - some clubs change every year - especially smaller clubs which do not have a decent budget to keep good coaches.

10. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Do they keep the same coach all the way through their youth years (ie: U7-U18)? I would hope they'd change things up at least every three years if not every other.

I'm of the opinion it's better to be exposed to multiple coaches (and therefore styles). Even a different coach every year is not necessarily a bad thing.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    U8 - u10 same coach. U11-u12 new coach. U13-high school new coach.

There are multiple groups of coaches for these ages which stay together. It's one thing that Sockers have done well - not saying that these coaches are great or anything - there are duds just like any other club. But conceptually it's solid.

12. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Some clubs will not allow your player to train with their club before tryouts unless permission is granted from your current club. That's garbage. Many kids tryout for three teams in a day and you wonder if movement is solely based on the reputation of your current club. Exhausting day for many and unfair for level players from smaller clubs.

Practice options prior are unfair how if the player reaches out?

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes - true. Some clubs are very careful as to not get busted on this. My suggestion was to attend the first try out and then reschedule a time for the second one to take place at a practice - after the first one which would be during the tryout window.

Many parents do not realize that that they can often attend a practice (not an official tryout) at almost any club after the tryout period has started.

14. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    I think the problem potentially is then paying a deposit that has to be paid 24-48 hours later. Which would be before the next practice in theory. Guess if you are leaving regardless that doesn't matter, but for those that are testing the waters a little trickier.

15. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I understand why clubs do that (DS's does, DD's does not). I wish the timing was either handed down from the state, or through a "gentlemen's agreement". It does not affect us, but if a child's "safety" club has tryouts first and wants a deposit before their "ideal" club even has tryouts, I don't think that's fair.

I'm talking in generalities, not specifics.

16. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Many do pre-tryout offers to the top players. Which means pay the deposit now, guaranteeing a spot prior to a tryout. What if you have a top player who tests the waters and you don't accept. Then you tryout elsewhere and she decides to stay put. how does that make you look in the eyes of your current club? LOL

17. becomingasoccermom

becomingasoccermom New Member

Arsenal
    India
    Sep 18, 2017
    Our area requires all clubs to work on the same schedule (same tryout weekend, same deposit deadline, very short period for them to submit the roster). I'm not sure if they allow unofficial tryouts during practices before the official tryout but thanks for the suggestion -I am going to ask about this.

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    At u7? No f'ing way!

Who is asking for a deposit at that age 24-48 hours???

I can see for a top team (older age) with a limited # of open spots but u7?

I would walk away from that crap without a second thought.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Again, at U7?

20. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    If a club is charging a fee for tryouts then they should be following basic rules of fairness.

Allowing some players to practice with the team in advance is not fair.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but the board’s lawyer would likely say don’t do it if you don’t want to have a problem.

Some clubs have different trainers run the tryout to avoid the appearance of the coach favoring their current players.

What happens in the clubhouse discussions is another matter but the outward appearance is there and the coach gets unbiased feedback which can be helpful for the edge players.

This goes back a bit but I recall legit tryouts at u7 and the kids who made the team could all play soccer... no grass eaters or dandelion pickers need apply.

I would attend both tryouts and not call the coach. The coach should say, again for the avoidance of looking unfair, that all players need to attend a tryout.

Training with the team May work great if your player is strong. But, I wouldn’t take the risk on a 1 practice tryout at u7 where every kid but one is already on the team, knows each other and may not pass or play well with the “new kid” who called the coach to get a special tryout.

My concern is even if they let you do it, they already know they won’t take your kid. If they take the special circumstance kid over a current player or over somebody who followed the rules they create an avoidable risk.

mwulf67 repped this.
  21. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Sorry, was referring to u10-12 at a Top club. Still a young group. It's when the break of two teams, A&B exist. Pre tryout offers for top players, everyone turns up at tryouts just to be there for the the other kids. You can accept a spot prior and pay the deposit securing a spot. Other kids then battle for the remaining spots from outside clubs and possibly your B team. Outside club A players are targeted more so during the tryout process.

I really believe this puts a young kid in a bad spot as well as the parents. Not accepting the pre tryout offer says I'm shopping around. If you come back, the seller has all the leverage.

22. Toe Poke

Toe Poke Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Dec 11, 2018
    I agree with this approach. Maybe not attend either tryout if you can go to a practice or 2 for each club. The coach will pay more attention to your son or daughter and you will get a better sense of how he fits in with the current players on the team.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes - I will double down on this. Parents need not to get all riled up over the try out period. Get as much info as you can and observe before with your player a session before hand. You can also speak with the coach after a practice - in general most coaches are receptive to a discussion.

Finally - winter does not typically fall under any league rules. At Sockers kids would often come - at all ages to practice sessions. I see the same thing at other clubs as well. This is an excellent time to train for up to a week with a team and start a diologue with the coach.

Driven repped this.
  24. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Around here, tryouts are held after the end of the season. So going to practices instead of tryouts isn't an option.

However, we have had kids come out for training when the season actually starts, but that's because we had room on the roster.

25. Driven

Driven Member

USWNT
    United States
    Apr 6, 2019