2 players kicked out of Ghana team

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by jayjayokocha, Jun 26, 2014.

1. jayjayokocha

jayjayokocha Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    West Virginia Chaos
    Kevin Prince-Boateng and Sulley Muntari, have been expelled from the camp and sent home ahead of the match against Portugal!

more info on that soon.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    KPB and Muntari sacked from Black Stars camp

http://www.citifmonline.com/2014/06/26/kpb-and-muntari-sacked-from-black-stars-camp/

Black Stars midfielders, Kevin Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari have been sacked from the team camp in Brazil.

Citi Sports Gary Al-Smith who is in Brazil said the two were sacked for fighting at the team’s training two days ago. There had been reports that Kevin Prince Boateng had exchanged words with the Coach Akwasi Appiah.

According to Al-Smith, Kevin Prince Boateng swore at the coach and that led to back and forth exchanges something Akwasi Appiah did not take lightly. The two were given 30 minutes to leave the team’s camp Brasilia.

It is unclear how the sacking of the two will impact on the rest of the team who will be playing a major game on Thursday. The team had earlier threatened to boycott the Ghana-Portugal match if their appearance fees were not paid on time.

3. jayjayokocha

jayjayokocha Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    West Virginia Chaos
    Ghana players demand £1.7 million in bonus cash to be flown to them before kick-off today.

Threatening to boycott the match if the money doesn't arrive before kickoff.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That's old news. And the money has already been paid:
    http://www.citifmonline.com/worldcup/?p=1681

It is inconceivable that anything other than football can grip Brazilian primetime TV in this period, but on Wednesday night, something African did.

After days of agitation, Ghana’s bonus row has ended with the delivery of $3 million – in cash.

The Black Stars rebelled against the team’s managers on Tuesday at the team camp base in Maceió and almost refused to make that day’s trip to Brasilia, where they play Portugal on Thursday.

That demonstration of unhappiness was quickly addressed by the country’s head of state, John Mahama, who promised the team of the impending arrival of the money.

5. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Great. I love that, as it increases the USA''s chance of advancing. I know, cynical, but I can't help.

6. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embarrassing, just like France in 2010. What do you expect when you have a guy (prince) who only plays in the World Cup and thinks he deserves everything handed to him

7. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Does this mean that KPB and Muntari are back, or are they still banned from the team?

8. jayjayokocha

jayjayokocha Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    West Virginia Chaos
    Looks like Ghana is the Beastie-Squad this year like France was in 2010.

DutchLion repped this.
  9. jayjayokocha

jayjayokocha Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    West Virginia Chaos
    They got kicked out of the team and given 30 minutes to leave the Team-Hotel. LOL

They will definitely not play today.

10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muntari wasn't gonna play anyway

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The money issue was Tuesday/Wednesday.
    The sacking of Muntari / KPB is news from today.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I wouldn't really blame the players for the money issue. John Mensah was still roaming the Ghana FA a year after the 2010 World Cup to beg for their promised appearance fees and bonuses. The only reason this happened is because the FA promised the money several times and didn't deliver.

Hopefully Essien, Andre Ayew and Gyan, the most respected players on the team keep this issue in check.

13. jayjayokocha

jayjayokocha Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    West Virginia Chaos
    The German newspaper Bild has just published an interview with Boateng ( http://sportbild.bild.de/fussball-w...-boateng-von-wm-abgereist-36552810.sport.html ). Here's my ham-fisted translation of the best bits:

Yesterday, there was an incident during training. Sulley Muntari and I had a play-fight. I said he had used his hand, he said no. Then I laughed and said, "So now you're the referee?" We both laughed, but then the coach stopped training and asked why we were laughing. We said that everything was OK, but he sent me back to my room.

After training I went to the coach and asked him if he had a minute for me. I asked him what he had against me. Then he started yelling at me. There were words like "******** off". No one should believe that I insulted the coach. I accept the punishment, and wish my colleagues all the best for the World Cup and the match against Portugal.

14. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Hope Essien can keep things in check, at least enough to crash the USA bandwagon

15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A different take on things...

http://screamer.deadspin.com/two-ke...eam-hours-before-port-1596352621/+GregHoward1

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the truth is somewhere in the middle I'm sure

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not necessarily, but we'll never really know.

19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate this development, despite the fact that it would seemingly be a potential boon to US advancement.

I have gone from despising Ghana's squad after two gut punches from them to enjoying their particular brand of jubilation and unique approach to the game and amazing athleticism.

I may have been projecting, but I saw them as similar to the US in many ways (not on a player by player basis, but as a team with the nebulous "heart" that is often mentioned, yet never understood). I guess all team chemistry is a volatile compound. The stability only lasting until the introduction of a small, uniquely specific agitant. Avoid whatever those may be, and teams appear strong and unified. Allow whatever that one little unknown is to slip into the mix, and it becomes a volatile concoction. The difficulty is that unlike actual chemistry, one can't know what that potentially dangerous element is.

Once the money issue came out, it seemed quite possible, maybe even likely, that there was more shit headed for the fan. I wonder if this will breathe any life into Portugal. And I wonder if it will even matter given Portugal's own issues. Yet one more story line in what has proven to be the most interesting World Cup group by far, IMO.

zahzah repped this.
  20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Hopefully Ghana can be professional on the field of play. Strong squad... with or without Boateng and Muntari. Waris with his first start - Ghana's effectiveness up front should skyrise.

21. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Cristiano Ronaldo with three great goal-scoring opportunities, Portugal playing better, might very well bail out the United States.