1978 FIFA World Cup Third Place Match (Brazil 2 - 1 Italy)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Baron Zbimg, Oct 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Hi all,

I have a question regarding Italy's lineup in that 3rd place match against Brazil. Does anyone know how the 5 defenders were positioned?

Cabrini and Maldera both started, and both were Left Backs. Maldera played Sweeper later in his career but at that point I think he was a pure Left Back/Left Wingback.

The rest of the back 5 is formed by Scirea, who is no doubt the Sweeper, and Cucureddu and Gentile.
    Did one of Maldera or Cabrini play in midfield? How did that work?

Thank you for your answers!

2. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I cannot answer your question (someone who has the game available could check it) I could only speculate. An Italian expert may know the answer without having to watch the game (the Italy forum might be the right place to get an informed answer).

I would assume that Cabrini sticked to the left as I don't remember ever having seen him play on the right or being listed as a right back in a match report and would thus assume that Maldera was playing on the right. I don't know if Italy played with 4 or 5 defenders (4-4-2/3-5-2?). I have Cuccureddu down as a midfielder but utily-wise could also be used as a full back. With Cuccureddu and Gentile there are two players known to be able to play more than one role which allows for manifold possible formations. In a 3-5-2 formation Cabrini and Maldera would be considered wingbacks and Cuccureddu and Gentile as stoppers. But my guess is that Italy played 4-4-2 with Cuccureddu in midfield, Cabrini left back, Maldera right back, Gentile stopper and Scirea as libero.

3. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Without watching the game I bet that Maldera played defensive midifleder alongside Sala. In a 4-4-2 of course. Cuccureddu certainly played centre back (instead of Belluggi) and Gentile was the right back as always during that tournament. Causio and Antognoni were the offensive midfielders with Causio more winger so it could look like a 4-3-3 in some offensive phases.

Gregoriak repped this.
  4. Baron Zbimg

Baron Zbimg Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Thank you so much for your answers guys

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think these may be the longest highlights available on Youtube currently:

Baron Zbimg repped this.
  6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The whole game is also on Footballia.

Baron Zbimg and PDG1978 repped this.
  8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Rossi moving wide quite frequently too I think (not only to set up the first goal for Causio who was at that moment on the opposite, left, side)? Or perhaps coming more central from a wider position if we look at it that way?

I might've seen longer highlights on Youtube before, or some of the game there or even on ESPN Classic, but probably not all of it though, so this is more a question than statement.