1966 World cup

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by ThespecialoneJM, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've always heard of corruption on Englands part in this world cup and I hear stories that the game vs Portugal was also fixed. I couldnt find anything online that would back up any "fishy" claims against us in the World cup. However I heard we had something like 3 goals called back? Is that true? I sound like a noob right now but I just want to know the whole history of that game and how it went down. I think Ive heard Gooddead reference this game a couple of times so maybe he can shed some insight.

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Simple, the Semi Final was to take place at Goodison Park (Liverpool) where Portugal was and the day before the game they told Portugal that the venue would be switched to Wembley (London) where England was. Now, the fact that England weren't on their way to Liverpool as soon as they were through to the Semi speaks volumes of the fact that they knew they would have the game switched to London and informed Portugal pretty much with just enough time to get to the city and maybe rest before the game. Instead of training for the game the Portuguese spent the better part of a day in a train.

Then during the game the calls were one sided. I don't know about calling back goals, but I wouldn't be surprised. There was also talk of fans throwing shit at our players during the game.

As for the final, no one can really defend what happened. It was robbery. Argentina got one over on them but at least it was Maradona, a player that fooled everyone and not the refs basically dictating the winner.

So today whenever I hear the English talk about fair, I roll my eyes. Their complaint about the disallowed goal in 2004 where Ricardo was grabbed by 2 arms allowing Vassel to head in a ball still makes me laugh at how hypocritical the English are when it comes to rules.

Blaming Ronaldo because in 2006 "he winked" and not being Angry at Rooney for Stomping on balls then aggressively pushing a player in front of a ref speaks volumes at how poorly actual events are perceived by them. The media plays a big part, but the media are all England fans looking for excuses.

Good people, don't get me wrong but when it comes to rules and talk about fair and what not they really should be the last ones to talk. They have some of the worlds biggest divers on their NT and yet get all pissy when a foreign player gets legitimately hacked to the ground.

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You pretty much summed up why the English fanbase and media sucks a big fat donkey d*ck. Awesome post brotha.

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah GoodDead, one of the best posts i've read. good stuff man

5. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good summary. Never heard of the ol switcheroo that England pulled on us. I could of sworn though that I read in an article a while back that Portugal had some goals called back but It would take some digging to find that.

I also saw that they had something like 5 English referees ref our game. Ridiculous.

6. slb4life

slb4life New Member

May 26, 2004
    toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    about 16 years ago me and 2 friends in toronto at (bocas cafe) on college st.talk with eusebio about the 1966 world cup.he told as the game was move from liverpool 2 london at last min.there more that im not going to put here.

7. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    england had 3 straight matches with some pretty fishy stuff going on..

quarterfinals vs argentina: the ref red cards an argentine and the reason given was "for the look in his eyes".....huh?

semifinals vs portugal: the englishFA decide to play switchies with the venue's at the last moment...sorry portugal forget practice instead your preparation will consist of a sh*t-long bus trip

Final vs germany: the extra time goal that never crossed the line

don't know much about the group matches but would be suprised if there werent more shennanigans going on

8. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Like I said the English are some of the biggest cheats in the World, but will be the first to cry foul on anything that puts them at a disadvantage or even cry when someone beat them straight up (This goes for the US too) The same offenses (or worse) committed by them get defended/ignored as anything they do is "fair play" in their eyes.

They ignore the truth of what happens in order to continue believing that their nation is the best in the world at Football and that "bad luck", "Corruption", "cheating players", "Biased reffing" is what keeps them down.

The funny part is the majority of what they claim to be wrong in the game is actually there in their favor they just don't have what it takes to capitalize (Germany and Italy have the same forces in their favor and have the quality to use it to their success)

They stole the 66 World Cup, having some bias is usually expected for a game here and there but the whole Tournament was set up for them to win before a game was played.

Since then they've squandered every opportunity to be Champions at anything and have blamed everything but themselves for coming up short.

All you need to do is look at the last 2 times they played Portugal. Ricardo gets GRABBED, hugged if you will going for a ball and then Vassel heads in a ball, ref correctly calls it back and in the end when they turn up losers the ref "Cheated" them. "Swiss banker" ran as the headline in most newspapers.

Never mind the fact that they got a luck early goal then were hammered all game by Portugal and that we beat them in PK's the whole game was about a play that was correctly called but the closest thing to an excuse other then admitting they weren't good enough.

Then 2006, the "wink heard around the world". You have to be kidding? Rooney stomps on RC ref calls a foul (not a red) and the Portuguese call for a card (LIKE ALL TEAMS INCLUDING THE ENGLISH DO) hot head Rooney Shoves Ronaldo in front of the ref, sorry that's a red in any league in the world Wayne, but for England? This is now the excuse if we don't win. Never mind the fact that Portugal before and after the sending off were in control and even still England held on to PK's and had their chance. Ricardo stopped their shots and afterwords the whole game was now about Rooney "unfairly" being called off because "Ronaldo asked and winked".....Give me a break, a stomp followed by a shove and you expect the ref to look the other way? Maybe because they are such cheats and expect the favoritism they are upset that referee English Bias Status quo made way for actual arbitration.

10. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    To be fair to those who claim the switch didn't happen, I really haven't seen any credible sources saying that was the case. Just sayin'.

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have. Can't remember any links, but it's common knowledge.

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    The problem back then, the tournaments weren't as origanized as today. They kind made up the schedule as they went. This gave them a great chance to change venues to put Portugal at a huge disadvantage.

Today, England can't beat Portugal :D

13. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That’s the same link I posted and their reply was :rolleyes:

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't bother talking about things that really happened with the English. Euro 2004 and WC 2006 are still relatively fresh and they still believe that grabbing a goalie is ok and that a wink sent off Rooney.

What happened in '66 is clear as day to everyone in the world, but we all let it go because their is no point being stuck in the past. The English will each die one by one in denial. They ask for proof that the game was moved last minute...I've read that claim everywhere including reputable sites and heard it from many people who watched the WC in '66. The players still talk about it when asked.

The English will never admit to wrong doing in any game especially the final which was just as bad if not worse then the semi-final.

Remember these are the same people that believe a wink sent off Rooney and that grabbing Ricardo while trying to catch a ball is fair game. The same people that call every foreigner a diving cheat yet Stevie G is a prime example of a fair player. At least foreigners have the decency to be touched before they go down, I never seen someone shot by an invisible sniper as much as Gerrard.

16. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Could not have said it better myself

17. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Where can we see the video of the whole game? Some say this is an urban myth. If I ever hear about a dvd of the game, I'll grab it. I do have questions about some 1966 games, I've read two books on the World Cup, English and Spanish but have not heard this.

18. tonygravato

tonygravato New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Little Egg Harbor,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have a copy of the Quarter Final against N Korea. I had heard of the venue change, and its even listed on the Wikipedia page for that World Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup#Quarter-finals

Liverpool was the original venue for the first semifinal. However, due to intervention of the English officials, the venue changed to Wembley.[4]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GYBgpHKFU"]YouTube- ENGLAND - PORTUGAL 1/2 FINAL WORLD CUP 1966[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQ8IFHyN6s&feature=related"]YouTube- 1966 World Cup Semi Final - England v Portugal[/ame]

19. catwheels

catwheels New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Al Ahli Jeddah
    I know this is an old thread, but after Eusebio's death yesterday I was looking up footage online of him playing (and what a player he was - beautiful fluid movements, speed, power, close control) and came across some comments referring to three or possibly four disallowed goals in the England - Portugal semi final in 1966. Just to se the record straight and put this to bed once and for all, there were no goals disallowed during the game for either side. Portugal, it is true, had a penalty shout for handball that could possibly have been given, but on the whole I would say England were well worth the win, creating far more chances than the Portuguese. The full game can be seen here
    cheers

20. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/eusebio
    I've heard conspiracy theories that Portugal only lost to England because of a last-minute change of venue and some partisan referring. Can you enlighten me?
    Dominic Hart, Thurrock
    No, the venue was changed but I don't buy into these theories. We were supposed to play at Goodison Park, and we were expecting to play there but at the last minute the venue was switched to Wembley and we had to travel from our hotel in Manchester to London. I'd say that in this respect the English had been smart. It benefited them, Portugal accepted the decision and, well, that was it, we had to play at Wembley.
    Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/eusebio#dgFC75LpiobkXm5e.99

21. Ron Williams

Ron Williams New Member

everton
    England
    Nov 9, 2017
    The story of the change of venue is correct. I was a season ticket holder at Goodison Park and bought my tickets for all the game to be played at Goodison - including the semi final. When England qualified for the semi final I was expecting their semi final with expectations only to learn in the press that it had been switched to Wembly. This meant the FA (orFIFA) had cheated not only me and thousands like me but Portugal team too. The biggest fiddle in soccer history. And te call us English a 'fair' nation - bull shit. They even cheated in the final by claiming the 'unscored' goal. Whithout these cheats they would have never won the cup - look at their history since........................

verde-rubro and SCP_16 repped this.