1966 WC Finals - Portugal Screwed?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Soccer Star, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Soccer Star

Soccer Star New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Well we'll all remember the 1966 WC Finals..... With Brazil not makingt it passed the group stage.... Portugal coming back to beat N. Korea 5 - 3...... and ofcourse England winning their first and only WC. But should England have won it? Portugal were the surprise team of the tournament and they had at the time the best player in the world, the dark stallion Eusebio. Down 3 - 0 against N.Korea, Eusebio scored 3 goals in a Portuguese rally to beat N. Korea 5 - 3. Now many say in the semi final Portugal was robbed. Reports that the queen made the arrangement with FIFA to keep the cup in England. You thoughts...

2. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    Faced with evidence like this it's impossible to disagree.

3. Soccer Star

Soccer Star New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Well I guess my post really didn't explain that much. What I really asked was your thoughts on the tournament itself.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If I remember correctly a very clear handball wasn't called against the English.

5. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Anyways, they (Portugal) tryed with all their might to kill GOD(PELE), i saw a special on it the other day, the hacked and hacked him to death, as far as i'm concerned, that's what they get!

NEVER MESS WITH GOD, see what happened to Portugal when they finally made it in 2002, he never forgets.

6. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Eusebio scored 4 goals...............so says my dad.........:D

My dad wittnesed the game(england-portugal) and said portugal was robbed...........a handball that was never called..........the takle in which a english defender brock the best portugeuse midfielders leg............that was never called.......:mad:Think it was simoes not shure..........

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like ruudboy said. What goes around comes around. sure Portugal had a wondeful team, but what they did in the group stage vs. Brazil was a disgrace.

Would've been cool if N. Korea had beaten them though... an Asian team in the semis!!! And making England's path to the final that much easier, thus adding another twist to how they won the Cup!

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 1966 WC Finals - Portugal Screwed?

:D

Urban legend at best.

9. ibiza109

ibiza109 New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    In the US, this would lead to a lawsuit by survivors and descendants of the incident.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Don't forget the reparations..