1940 East Asia Athletic Meet (Football competition)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by mcruic, Dec 11, 2012.

1. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hi - can anyone here provide a Japanese-English translation of this small article?

It's about the tournament held to coincide with the 2600th Anniversary of the Japanese Empire. 4 teams took part in the football competition - Japan, 'Manchukuo', 'China' (I think the Japanese-occupied part) and Philippines. I think there are results and (possibly) dates mentioned, but the file is an image, so I can't just copy and paste the text into Google translate, unfortunately.

[​IMG] EastAsia1940.jpg

2. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    "'The 2600th Anniversary East Asian Games' which started on the 7th June, Japan won a game held at Koshien South Sports Ground against Philippines 1-0 winning the tournament. Earlier Japan won against Manchuko 7-0 and Republic of China 6-0 heading for the last bout. In this tournament Philippines performance were in slump getting draws in the two games. Japanese victory was even more comfortable than the score."

But I don't get the date at the start of the article as the Games started on the 7th June...

3. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Manchukuo? Isn't it something unfair for chinese people to use that name from WWII?

4. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not at all, since this dates back to 1940.

5. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

It says that June 7 was "sai-shuubi" (the last day of the tournament). You translated it as "started on....". If you make that correction, the date will make sense

6. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Sorry if that was confusing. I just read it again myself and realised it might be unclear, but I guess Im too late to fix it with an edit. What I meant to say was that this article apparently is written on the final day of the tournament, which is the only date mentioned. The correct translation for your first sentence should be:

"On June 7th, the final day of the 2600th Anniversary East Asian Games, Japan defeated the Philippines 1-0 in a game held at Koshien South Sports Ground, thus winning the tournament. "

7. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Matsu, the problem with that date was that... the tournament started on the 7th June and the game against Phillipines was played on 16th! At first I translated it like you proposed but later edited that after realising that confusing fact and left it like it was after that as I couldn't edit my post anymore after that.

8. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Where did you get those dates from? Was it the FIFA database?

I just checked my book of old match info as well as the JFA database and while both do have dates of June 7 for the Manchukuo match, each source has different dates for the other matches eg - the book lists Japan - Philippines on June 14 and the JFA database, June 15. Any you now say June 16.

When you see inconsistency in sources like that, it generally suggests that somebody wasnt exactly sure of a date and decided to make one up that was a "ballpark figure". I would not be at all surprised if that was the basis for the current "official" FIFA date as well as other sources. After all the country was on a war footing at the time and it is easy to believe that data compilers in the 1960s or 70s (when FIFA would have been doing its original data compilations) had a difficult time finding the correct dates.

The point is that you are translating what appears to be an "original source". You have to translate it as it reads, not as you think it "should" read based on other sources that might not be original sources themselves.