19/20 Winter Transfer Window

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I can't remember one time that Lovitz got beat. Maybe he did but I don't remember it. I can think of times Ream, Yedlin, Cannon got beat. Lovitz doesn't get forward very well but nor does Cannon. Yedlin gets forward in a limited sense (vide Klinsmann's use of Yedlin which was similar to Berhalter's use recently in the second Canada game iirc.). When it comes to getting forward, Lima and Dest do best. Lima crosses very well. Dest dribbles well. Lima and Dest can both shoot.

I could see some team in Europe sign Cannon but it's not like I'd be surprised if he stayed in MLS. For the USMNT I'd much rather see the team as a whole thrive with a fb who can get forward - Yedin or LIma in his absence - while Cannon works on his offense. He could overtake Lima eventually but in the meantime I don't understand why we have to be tied down with a defense only fb.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    what offer did long get?

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaslighting Cannon saying he has no offense won't change our minds. We all saw him effectively pass many times to free Morris into space and send in crosses into the box. He's also better defensively than Yedlin but not as fast. Cannon is also a very accurate passer and can use either foot which many outside backs (not named Dest) can't do. I will agree with you Lima and thought he would have had more of a chance but I guess Cannon was better in practices - who knows? Lovitz just never added much. he did get beat defensively (as does every fullback) but never seemed able to get his crosses off and never seemed to get better as he got more experience at that level. For an attacking left back I'd rather see Robinson.

Eleven Bravo, 50/50 Ball, TCS35 and 3 others repped this.
  4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    A WhoScored average really doesn't tell you much and doesn't say anything about current form:

Last 4 games Rating (USMNT are not rated):

Lovitz

Average: 6.3
    Main Weakness: Holding onto the ball

Cannon

Average: 7.2
    Main Weakness: Concentration

Cannon started the year slow, but was significantly better, in MLS, after the Gold Cup. So, everyone's eye test lines up.

Lovitz is an older, below replacement level, MLS player. That was why he was traded for a sandwich to Nashville. He should not be anywhere near the USMNT.

TCS35 and tomásbernal repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I guess contect doesnt matter to you. I think that not getting capped due to injury, getting called into camp and publicly stating that you didnt get a fair chance to compete for the job is very different than "he wasn't capped even then. he hasn't been in a GB camp".

The arguments around here are bad enough without people changing the facts. There is no doubt that Berhalter doesnt rate him, but the arguments made about why are pretty poor.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    DHC1 repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He is self serving on offense.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Grateful for the updates but these are not moving the needle for me.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    what context? Juvechelsea actually had a short paragraph with a comprehendible point: Canouse isn't in Berhalter's plans and it's too late.

You nitpicked when he was wrong about a single camp but the point remains: Canouse is out and it's too late.

It has nothing to do with whether it's a good decision.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No. My sense is that transfer market as a whole has cooled longer term and winter transfer was always cool to begin with

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    For US players, MLS players or for everyone?

During the summer session, there was a consensus that MLS players were far more likely to move during the winter.....

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He should be able to make comprehensible point without false facts.

The discussion was about Canouses career which makes Berhalters view of him less important. Canouse could still have an impact next cycle or sooner if this idiot is fired. This makes whether it is a good decision relevant.

14. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Definitely not at his salary. The USMNT money is a nice bump.

schrutebuck and DHC1 repped this.
  16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do players earn per cap for friendlies? Is that the same for January camp friendlies? LON games? WC Qualifiers?

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good move, not flashy but something to keep an eye on. They are runaway promotion favorites.

18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've seen Cannon look good against Mexico, he's fast and agile and 21 until June.

That's good enough for me.

tomásbernal repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Ledezma hinted on Twitter that Soto is coming to PSV. No details of course. Could be a pre-contract and Summer move.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope and that was always a dumb argument to have been made. Teams that had interest will look elsewhere. He would get older and if he struggled it would only hurt him where playing well wouldn’t really improve his value much.

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lovitz was making 93K.

The 2017 CBA paid At least 5/13k for a friendly and increased to a 12.5k win bonus for WCQ . I'm assuming more than a friendly for competitive matches, so that's decent change for anybody still making regular people money.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    when is it ok to start getting bummed out that no one appears to be making a real move up the ladder?

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    2014? That is when the trend started of MLS over paying usmnt players so they wouldnt make the jump.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC

OWN(yewu)ED and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that move. They’re in good position and he could help them out. Plus, he’ll get a lot more exposure than in Turkey. And I think his game suits well for the English game.

Sort of a poor man Beckham.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.